Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting approach considering how s**t their midfield is. Maybe they’re admiring they’re a rebuild off so start with the talls first, I can see that approach but I also see the opposite. I think it’s hard to develop talls with a s**t midfield. I think you build from the midfield out like us. It does leave you struggling for a few years with a s**t spine though.

Interesting approach considering how sh*t their midfield is. Maybe they’re admiring they’re a rebuild off so start with the talls first, I can see that approach but I also see the opposite. I think it’s hard to develop talls with a sh*t midfield. I think you build from the midfield out like us. It does leave you struggling for a few years with a sh*t spine though.

Isn’t the theory that mids develop quicker so you pick them up later when the talls have developed?

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting approach considering how sh*t their midfield is. Maybe they’re admiring they’re a rebuild off so start with the talls first, I can see that approach but I also see the opposite. I think it’s hard to develop talls with a sh*t midfield. I think you build from the midfield out like us. It does leave you struggling for a few years with a sh*t spine though.
North have done what you said and drafted no talls.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think I read some stats about Dusty playing more forward than mid these days.
Don't think Danger is far behind either.
Main difference though is that Danger and Dusty will be 31 and 30 next year so reducing midfield minutes makes sense.

Both won Brownlows as midfielders at 26, which is what Bont will be next year.

Sounds like Freo have found another gun defender in Chapman. Reckon one of their backline could be surplus to requirements come season end.
He's 192cm and a first round pick, I don't think he plays as a KPD for a while.
They do seem to have a surplus of KPD sized backmen but I don't think they've all been fit at the same time. If Pearce could stay on the paddock he'd be their next captain. Logue is highly mobile for a tall too so might be shifted around a bit.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's 192cm and a first round pick, I don't think he plays as a KPD for a while.
They do seem to have a surplus of KPD sized backmen but I don't think they've all been fit at the same time. If Pearce could stay on the paddock he'd be their next captain. Logue is highly mobile for a tall too so might be shifted around a bit.
Such a big reach on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I know the Crows are a bit of a basket case but MacAsey is a long way off making it in my opinion. He’s been terrible in their game against Port and didn’t show anything last year either. If we bring him in he isn’t going fix our backline anytime soon.

There is an element of being "the best tall defender/forward/ruckman" in a draft year that can blind some people to a players faults. Not saying this specifically about MacAsey, but it does happen when supporters are discussing players.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know the Crows are a bit of a basket case but MacAsey is a long way off making it in my opinion. He’s been terrible in their game against Port and didn’t show anything last year either. If we bring him in he isn’t going fix our backline anytime soon.
If we took McAsey, it should only be as a cheap long term prospect. I'd be wary of the premium that is often attached to ex-1st round picks. Think I'd sooner draft a state league 19/20 year old who impresses this year than pay through the roof for McAsey who, as you said, has shown very little so far. There's hardly anything to suggest he's any better than Lewis Young honestly. Would rather give him games than overpay for McAsey

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really like the direction we've been taking the last couple of years with some of the draftees we've taken.

Guys like Butler, Vandermeer, Cavarra and McNeil are the kind of speedy, tough/high pressure types you want filling out your list and are the types we've sorely lacked with the retirements of Picken and Smith especially. Based on the practice match, I'm picking West to solidify his spot in our forward line this year which adds that high pressure element. Just one more quick player would really change the look of things - one of JJ, Cavarra, Vandermeer or McNeil could make it a viable forward group

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
He was always going to struggle Adelaide have a young list and with no SANFL last year most likely hurt him as well

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta keep in mind that Weitering started off okay but was a big spud for a few years. Now hes one of the best in the comp.

Some players take time. We got lucky with Naughton who had an instant impact.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is an element of being "the best tall defender/forward/ruckman" in a draft year that can blind some people to a players faults. Not saying this specifically about MacAsey, but it does happen when supporters are discussing players.
Yeah the ‘standout’ talls in weak drafts are often a bust. Think Beau Dowler, Mitch Thorp, Kepler Bradley.

Once they’re a year or two in the system you go on current form, whether lower league or AFL. Tough based on last year for players not playing seniors I suppose but he didn’t jump out at me when I saw him play.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta keep in mind that Weitering started off okay but was a big spud for a few years. Now hes one of the best in the comp.

Some players take time. We got lucky with Naughton who had an instant impact.
True but Weitering had some elite attributes to work with. MacAsey’s pace and agility isn’t going to get better and I’m not sure you can survive in modern football.
I think it was Knightmare who seriously questioned how high he was taken. Said that his marking was overstated due to some really poor users in that draft year. Either way the kid needs time to develop in the next level down.
Are there any KPD in the free agency pool next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back