Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think Rhylee West will attract some interest from other clubs come seasons end? Seems unlikely he will crack midfield at the Dogs unless we cop a few injuries.

Could easily see North or Adelaide being keen on him.

Anyone else think Rhylee West will attract some interest from other clubs come seasons end? Seems unlikely he will crack midfield at the Dogs unless we cop a few injuries.

Could easily see North or Adelaide being keen on him.
Will be interest. If Dunkley goes though he should see future opportunity.

Our list is as good as I have ever seen a bulldog team.
The question is will they click???
2 players stand out to me that I think we could do without.
Bruce and hate to say it Dunkley both just too slow in our style of play.

Treloar is going to smash teams and get on the end of plenty the josh just can’t re speed.

The forward line looks way more dangerous when.
Wallis Naughton vandermeer

Marra Bont Richards

Seems more balanced with even English dropping to a pocket some times.
Thoughts

Our list is as good as I have ever seen a bulldog team.
The question is will they click???
2 players stand out to me that I think we could do without.
Bruce and hate to say it Dunkley both just too slow in our style of play.

Treloar is going to smash teams and get on the end of plenty the josh just can’t re speed.

The forward line looks way more dangerous when.
Wallis Naughton vandermeer

Marra Bont Richards

Seems more balanced with even English dropping to a pocket some times.
Thoughts

Richards isn't a forward. West, Cav, or Weightman in that pocket. Bruce has picked up some speed when losing weight and could still fit fine in there.

Would it be worth training Marra in defense.
I know he is a forward first.
Just thinking in a long season for a young number 1 pick.Expectations and our glowing deficiencies for KPP .He could learn something new .And improve us without the pressure of expectations in the forward line.
As l said it's a long season and anything can happen.
Leave all options open IMO

Just thinking in a long season for a young number 1 pick.Expectations and our glowing deficiencies for KPP .He could learn something new .And improve us without the pressure of expectations in the forward line.
No

Bevo, is that you?

Bevo, is that you?
Fair enough. Just l would personally rather him play than a few others.And if we have too many tall forwards and not enough tall defenders.
If they were good KP defenders l would not care. Keath is the only permanent we have The thought of Marra playing 2s while we have liabilities in defense irks me.
Yes but let him be a forward is correct.I agree

Fair enough. Just l would personally rather him play than a few others.And if we have too many tall forwards and not enough tall defenders.
If they were good KP defenders l would not care. Keath is the only permanent we have The thought of Marra playing 2s while we have liabilities in defense irks me.

Fairly large liability having a fresh draftee who has barely played any footy for 12 months line up in the AFL as a key defender. When he’s a lightly built forward.

We are slightly lacking down back, but Marra filling the void certainly isn’t the answer.

I'd rather Naughton go back than Jamarra.

I'd rather Naughton go back than Jamarra.
I wouldn't rule it out either. Watching Bevos interview with Bob, he talked about the mix of Martin, English, Bruce and Naughton possibly not ending up the right balance, but at the same time did suggest English would spend more time forward. I read that as meaning one of Naughton or Bruce could find themselves out of the forward line if things don't gel well, and Naughton seems the more likely of the two

I wouldn't rule it out either. Watching Bevos interview with Bob, he talked about the mix of Martin, English, Bruce and Naughton possibly not ending up the right balance, but at the same time did suggest English would spend more time forward. I read that as meaning one of Naughton or Bruce could find themselves out of the forward line if things don't gel well, and Naughton seems the more likely of the two

And compared to Jamarra, Naughton is the one who was drafted as a defender and has proven good form in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a few years Naughton will be a premier backman and people will say how silly it was to keep him forward. Mark my words!

How quickly do people forget about how long we have suffered without a gun key forward. And how easily we have been able to find good KPD's with later picks/smart trades. This is with a massive amount of investment in terms of money and picks we have spent on KPF's like Boyd, Schache and Bruce.

Also bear in mind that despite it looking good for one game Stef Martin is 34 years old. This could very well be his last season/break down and subsequently English would move back into main ruck.

I don't see Naughton going anywhere but CHF unless theres a significant KPD injury crisis.

Also pushing Naughton back doesn't solve 2 major issues
A) freeing up Keath to play the intercepting role.
B) Naughton doesn't fill the lockdown role on monster forwards.

How quickly do people forget about how long we have suffered without a gun key forward. And how easily we have been able to find good KPD's with later picks/smart trades. This is with a massive amount of investment in terms of money and picks we have spent on KPF's like Boyd, Schache and Bruce.

Also bear in mind that despite it looking good for one game Stef Martin is 34 years old. This could very well be his last season/break down and subsequently English would move back into main ruck.

I don't see Naughton going anywhere but CHF unless theres a significant KPD injury crisis.

Also pushing Naughton back doesn't solve 2 major issues
A) freeing up Keath to play the intercepting role.
B) Naughton doesn't fill the lockdown role on monster forwards.
Bruce to FB Bruce to FB Bruce to FB, gonna keep screaming this until it happens

Naughty and Tim are enough marking power down forward, throw in an improved Schache who would create gaps for those two to work in and would get so many good looks just because of how much attention Naughty especially and now English are requiring. Honestly if those 3 played every game I’d bet any amount of money Schache averages 2.1 across the year and ends up with 45 odd goals.

Throw Vanders, West and Wally at their feet and it’s not toooo slow, so long as Naughty and Tim are marking what we know their capable of marking then our pace on the rebound won’t be that critical anyway.

Bruce’s best asset at this stage is his competitiveness in the contest. He’s a huge body whose quick enough to go with most number 1 forwards. Let’s let him create that havoc he does in our forward line in the backline. He’s a good contested mark and it’s easier to take contested marks in the backline than forward line. His field kicking while not a strength is better than his goal kicking and probably on par with a lot of key defenders.

And his biggest fault imo is he gets in his own head and drops his bundle, drops chest marks misses sodas etc, I think the backline would be good for him. Most players tend to be a bit let and more composed behind the ball.

It’s worth a try

The resolution I'd implement for the current KPD problem is to analysis very carefully our first month of football. A four game assessment of the form of Naughton + Bruce up forward and Keath + Cordy/Gardiner down back.

Let's say this doesn't work. Then it's a simple switch of Bruce to the KPD group and to replace him with the Schache/JUH (whomever is more deserving).

Removing Naughton from the forward line group actually creates a number of issues that some may not look at which includes defensive pressure, taking out our number one forward (which would possibly put a better opponent on Schace/JUH), in addition to how Naughton doesn't resolve the lock down KPD spot.

I’d rather buy an Essendon membership than see Bruce go back.

Hopefully the club doesn’t listen to everything people say on here like some people want.

This board has a obsession with moving forward players into defence. At lest Naughton was understandable, but then we have had Gowers (before he was axed) Schache, Bruce and even a suggestion for Jamarra.

Not sure why we are looking for the next Wood move.

This board has a obsession with moving forward players into defence. At lest Naughton was understandable, but then we have had Gowers (before he was axed) Schache, Bruce and even a suggestion for Jamarra.

Not sure why we are looking for the next Wood move.
I haven’t advocated for any forward except Naughtz into defence.

Who said Jamarra goes back? Surely a jest.

no moving bruce back, play keath and cordy (or commit to gardiner(not what i would do) play schache bruce and naughton forward and if our defense is getting raped naughton can go back, schache plays completely differant to bruce and naughton ( can play roaming half forward flank) he also kicks goals and can hit a target inside 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back