Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Players like Naughty & Timmy give me slight uneasy feelings for the future, probably unjustified considering they’ve both been quick to sign up long term in the past with no fuss have been on big money and playing AFL since very early on and both look like super popular guys around the club. But Bont literally doesn’t even cross my mind, never been more confident in a player staying.

Just about everyone else... meh no one else is that important we can’t cover them really.
We have The Power!

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McAsey has been absolute crap in every AFL game he’s played, def going to be a long term project.
Hard spot to be a KPD as a Rookie and with the team getting smashed. And if the rumours of a trade request at the start of this season are true, I wouldn't expect to see him at AFL level this year

He is a big boy and they can take a few years to develop, Ben McKay would be a good example. Takes time to get the required strength to hold down a KPD spot full time, and with two years development already into now is the time to engineer a trade before he possibly comes on and gets a lot more costly to do a deal.
As always there is the risk that he doesn't develop Collins for example. With KPD being our biggest hole in the list reckon he is well worth taking a punt on him being a success story in the right environment
He looks really slow
Collins was big and strong but his fatal flaw was his lack of speed and agility. You can't teach that or train it into someone.

IF ... McAsey is agile, has ground skills and has reasonable closing speed by all means chase him.

If not ... we would be going backwards getting in a list clogger on whatever salary is needed to entice him over ($300k+ I'd imagine). In that case we'd be better off looking elsewhere.

We can certainly give him time to develop. Gardner was 22 and Keath was 25 when they played their first games. Brian Lake didn't get regular games until he was 21.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Collins was big and strong but his fatal flaw was his lack of speed and agility. You can't teach that or train it into someone.

IF ... McAsey is agile, has ground skills and has reasonable closing speed by all means chase him.

If not ... we would be going backwards getting in a list clogger on whatever salary is needed to entice him over ($300k+ I'd imagine). In that case we'd be better off looking elsewhere.

We can certainly give him time to develop. Gardner was 22 and Keath was 25 when they played their first games. Brian Lake didn't get regular games until he was 21.
He’s not agile or quick, that’s the big knock on him.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Makes sense for us. As much as I’d love a gun ready to go KPD we have to keep an eye on cap space and he would be cheap salary wise. I’m far from convinced by him but we can offer him time and development. Plus he does seem available and there aren’t many who are.
If the Rumour is true it could be the reason why crows signed Nick Murray

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I need to see more consistency from him in the future, but Aaron Francis' game on saturday is the exact prototype of what Bev would want from a tall defender.

He read the play superbly and used the ball really well.

He might be a good case example of how tall players need lots of time.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh Bruce was slow and not very agile last year. Turns out he was just unfit.

Nevertheless, we'd have to do due diligence very careful on McAsey.
If one S Power is showing interest that is cause for me too think that the club see's potential in him. And there is no rewards without risk, we need to be bold and if we can't entice a ready made KPD I would take a shot on a 10 year KPD if he makes the grade

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Is Josh Battle an option as a Key Back? Seems to be in a weird spot at the Saints.

I know he’s not the hulking type we probably need, but is a brilliant athlete and great overhead. Very similar to Keath.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is Josh Battle an option as a Key Back? Seems to be in a weird spot at the Saints.

I know he’s not the hulking type we probably need, but is a brilliant athlete and great overhead. Very similar to Keath.

He is currently being played on the wing....

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ratten is doing a bevo trying to reinvent the game.

Battle was great in 2020(?) as a key back from memory. Think he’s just a victim of his own versatility

I think he is attainable just not seen enough of him to know IF he is capable of being a FB. Ideally we want a FB not a CHB.

Note:
I actually don’t mind the prospect of playing talls that mostly run between the arks, like wingmen. They do provide a good outlet option. As we have both English & Naughton who can do that well, I don’t want Battle for that ability.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think he is attainable just not seen enough of him to know IF he is capable of being a FB. Ideally we want a FB not a CHB.

Note:
I actually don’t mind the prospect of playing talls that mostly run between the arks, like wingmen. They do provide a good outlet option. As we have both English & Naughton who can do that well, I don’t want Battle for that ability.
Yeah not sure if he’d have the genuine size for FB but definitely fits Bevo’s versatility mantra and would be great in our zone.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've always liked Jake Kelly.

I don't know his contract Sitch though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back