Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Weird position - if Stef Martin is injured at the end of the year and looks cooked, I'd still offer him a rookie contract for next year as a virtual playing coach for Timmy/Jordan. He can play a couple of games next year as a chop out and provide a genuine pre-season contest for both kids to develop against.
Doubt he would be on much money that would concern us for next year. Bit more of an incentive for him to step up this year.

Play like a hero to get us deep into finals and you can have one more year of above the average Australian wage

Think it's a win/win scenario

Doubt he would be on much money that would concern us for next year. Bit more of an incentive for him to step up this year.

Play like a hero to get us deep into finals and you can have one more year of above the average Australian wage

Think it's a win/win scenario
The soft cap is starting to really bite. Assistant coaches (line coaches) are putting in up to 14 hours per day, any relief from that can only help us.
I'm still sad we didn't chase Anthony Rocca as a part time kicking coach too. He seems to be the AFL guru for goalkicking and based on this year's results he's wasted at North.

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2021 UPDATED FREE AGENTS LIST
* Previously delisted
^ Previously qualified as a free agent
BE099D58-BE25-4AF2-9A58-2E1B10F309BF.jpeg

who says and who go’s...?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2021 UPDATED FREE AGENTS LIST
* Previously delisted
^ Previously qualified as a free agent
View attachment 1096888
who says and who go’s...?
Hayes and Smith getting no hype in VFL reports and not being selected for games. Both gone.

This could be Jong's final year if he doesn't get selected, although his recent form must have him close to next in line.

Same applies to Cav. Been impressing in the VFL, but if he isn't selected soon then you'd have to assume he's done.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of the out of contracts, I'd like to see:

Bont - whatever the * he wants
Cavarra - 1 year with trigger for 2nd
Duryea - 2 years
Gardner - 1 year with trigger for 2nd
Hayes - Delist
Jong - Delist or Rookie
Libba - 1 year with trigger for 2nd (flat 2 years is fine too)
Martin - Assuming he triggers the extension this year anyway
Smith - Delist
Wallis - 2 years

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hayes and Smith getting no hype in VFL reports and not being selected for games. Both gone.

This could be Jong's final year if he doesn't get selected, although his recent form must have him close to next in line.

Same applies to Cav. Been impressing in the VFL, but if he isn't selected soon then you'd have to assume he's done.
I really have no idea why we retained Hayes & Smith. I understand you need depth but they are well down on the depth chart now. Both would be in the 32-36 range on our list despite both being in their mid 20s. We really should've used their spots on speculative KPD or small forward picks to develop. If both of these guys come close to getting a game then something has gone wrong during the year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really have no idea why we retained Hayes & Smith. I understand you need depth but they are well down on the depth chart now. Both would be in the 32-36 range on our list despite both being in their mid 20s. We really should've used their spots on speculative KPD or small forward picks to develop. If both of these guys come close to getting a game then something has gone wrong during the year.
Both had their moments last year, but I'm not sure why we retained BOTH. One would have been more than enough, and could've then drafted speculatively as you said. Rather risk getting another Tweedie than retain someone who almost certainly won't play this year anyway and has had their chances

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Couldn’t agree more, there’s just no situations where I would be using either, if somethings gone so horribly wrong that we need to play one of them then we’d be in such a bad spot id be playing untried kids in those spots and go full on youth. Hayes especially is so so soooo useless to this list, could offer a few teams good depth or a role player but not us

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

Are we getting more from Scott/McNeil types (ignoring where they were actually drafted - rookie/PSD/mid season/national etc) than from Hayes and Smith ???

I'd say yes - so why we kept them (Hayes and Smith) is a complete mystery....

Are we getting more from Scott/McNeil types (ignoring where they were actually drafted - rookie/PSD/mid season/national etc) than from Hayes and Smith ???

I'd say yes - so why we kept them (Hayes and Smith) is a complete mystery....
I agree. They’ve had ample opportunity to show their wares.

Hayes has a big tank which helps when you only have 75 rotations but he doesn’t offer much else compared to those he’s competing with for a senior game.

The only reason I could think of keeping them is if one could transform himself into a hard tagger like de Boer. But that’s not how Bevo rolls.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I agree. They’ve had ample opportunity to show their wares.

Hayes has a big tank which helps when you only have 75 rotations but he doesn’t offer much else compared to those he’s competing with for a senior game.

The only reason I could think of keeping them is if one could transform himself into a hard tagger like de Boer. But that’s not how Bevo rolls.

we had/have a history of picking up gems late and in the rookie draft. Smith and Hayes (though both far better footballers than I) - aren't that. With the additions of Treloar, Martin, Hannan and keeping Dunks - it would need to go catastrophically wrong that Hayes and Smith are the answer.

So why not take more kids, particularly in a year impacted by COVID - where less options were taken due to poor exposed form ? Why not get half a dozen guys to train with us over summer and give the two hardest workers a spot ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Roarke Smith played the last 4 games of the last AFL season and was quite serviceable in those games. He is reasonably versatile so I can see why he was retained as solid enough depth.

Agree on Hayes.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Roarke Smith played the last 4 games of the last AFL season and was quite serviceable in those games. He is reasonably versatile so I can see why he was retained as solid enough depth.

Agree on Hayes.

I'd still argue against that.

Where can he play ? Mids - stacked for options there. Defenders - not KPP - so we are stacked for options there. Sort of forward - we have stacks of sort of forwards - but he's not a real forward (even though he can be a good set shot).

I just think he was a player that we gave a good shot - he wasn't going to take us to the next level and we needed to move him on.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Bit harsh IMO, but a mate of mine used to joke that he couldn't tell Hayes, R.Smith and Gowers apart on the tv (rarely attends games), as one potato looks much like another. (I won't repeat the description he gave to Gardner, suffice to say he has revised that description this year.)

I dips me lid to any player who gets onto an AFL list, but we do seem to have a history of prolonging hard calls on the careers of some fringe players. Agree that it is perplexing we kept both Hayes and Smith on, rather than take a punt on at least one KPD for depth.

Where can he play ? Mids - stacked for options there. Defenders - not KPP - so we are stacked for options there. Sort of forward - we have stacks of sort of forwards - but he's not a real forward (even though he can be a good set shot).
He played on a wing, a position we're still not settled on (would we really think McNeill would be taking rotations there before we even rookied him at teh end of last year?)

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's the list of free agent defensive/tall stocks available end of this year:-
Daniel Talia
Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker
Lachlan Henderson
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy
Mitch Brown
Robbie Tarrant
Josh Walker
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley
Sam Reid (SYD)

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's the list of free agent defensive/tall stocks available end of this year:-
Few there you could probably cross off already, but a number who would be handy enough. Tarrant would be nice for a couple of seasons if he could stay fit.

Daniel Talia family history
Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker retiring?
Lachlan Henderson retiring?
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy club captain
Mitch Brown no good/journeyman
Robbie Tarrant
Josh Walker no good/journeyman
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley retiring
Sam Reid (SYD)

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Few there you could probably cross off already, but a number who would be handy enough. Tarrant would be nice for a couple of seasons if he could stay fit.

Daniel Talia family history
Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker retiring?
Lachlan Henderson retiring?
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy club captain
Mitch Brown no good/journeyman
Robbie Tarrant
Josh Walker no good/journeyman
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley retiring
Sam Reid (SYD)

The one that I'd be for is Chol, we need a back that would be able to match it for size with resting rucks.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd still argue against that.

I just think he was a player that we gave a good shot - he wasn't going to take us to the next level and we needed to move him on.
With the benefit of hindsight I'd agree, but at the start of preseason I'd have said that his position was back flank/defensive midfielder. At that point he would've been far more likely to claim such a role than Bailey Dale or Anthony Scott.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of the out of contracts, I'd like to see:

Bont - whatever the fu** he wants
Cavarra - 1 year with trigger for 2nd
Duryea - 2 years
Gardner - 1 year with trigger for 2nd
Hayes - Delist
Jong - Delist or Rookie
Libba - 1 year with trigger for 2nd (flat 2 years is fine too)
Martin - Assuming he triggers the extension this year anyway
Smith - Delist
Wallis - 2 years
Duryea should be a 1 year with trigger for 2nd imo. Turns 30 and given we gave Wood two years straight up, i'd prefer to have some flexibility with Doc. Rookie Jong and the rest i'd agree with.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
He played on a wing, a position we're still not settled on (would we really think McNeill would be taking rotations there before we even rookied him at teh end of last year?)

I would have thought that Treloar, Hunter, B Smith, VDM, JJ - would have been enough wing coverage for us - but I do take your point about last year. And yes - some rookies/recruits can come on sooner than expected - but to my mind that reinforces my argument. Why hang onto a guy that has shown a small amount, rather than risk taking a guy that could show a lot.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd agree, but at the start of preseason I'd have said that his position was back flank/defensive midfielder. At that point he would've been far more likely to claim such a role than Bailey Dale or Anthony Scott.

Agree - but see above for my further thoughts.

I would have thought that Treloar, Hunter, B Smith, VDM, JJ - would have been enough wing coverage for us - but I do take your point about last year. And yes - some rookies/recruits can come on sooner than expected - but to my mind that reinforces my argument. Why hang onto a guy that has shown a small amount, rather than risk taking a guy that could show a lot.
I wouldn't have kept Hayes. But then, I would have used late draft picks (e.g. Butler & Bedendo the past two years) on a small crumbing forward as well and perhaps cut 1-2 spots deeper the year before too.

A real shame Kosi Pickett didn't slip - can you imagine our forwardline with him (or a player with his crumbing nous)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back