Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, these are the players i'll be open to trade out
Bank in some draft picks now while some players have decent trade value

JJ
Young
Wallis
Lipinski
Richards
Cavvara
Schache

Another option is to grab a key forward and spin them to defence. Been several success stories in recent years of this happening.

Riccardi went back to defence in the 2s and had 40 disposals and 20 marks. I could name 5-6 players who are playing forward who would give more to the KPD2 position than we currently have. Ambrose, Casboult, Weiderman, Riccardi, Brander all could do a better job than Cordy in the role.

We don't need a star but we do need someone who has some attributes to lock down that role. Cordy has none. Undersized, not strong, and not fast as well as a timid ball user.

Exactly this.
Find an underperforming KPF who has played well as a KPD. Riccardi would be great. Brander too.
They will be cheaper than a gun KPD.

I don't think Naughton back is going to happen. His forward craft is still quite poor but he's really starting to hit his stride as a CHF. I think something needs to change for us to fit JUH into the forward lineup, but I can't see it being Naughton to defence.

I doubt he'd be any good at key defence, but I think there's a better chance of Bruce being trialled there than Naughton returning.

At any rate, I'd hope we prioritise a KPD this offseason, but also not forget about a ruck. It's clearly a position of need, and once Martin retires (which could effectively happen this year, even if he stays on the list but more as a coach) we are left with only Sweet and English. Not only would I like to see us recruit a mature, ready made ruck again, but I seriously hope we draft someone too. It's not enough to have 2/3 rucks on the list or else you risk ending up in the kind of situation the Suns have found themselves in
I see a lot of people mention this but fail to see how it is accurate. His goal kicking can be poor, but his forward craft is quite good. I make an effort of sitting behind the goals at games to see this sort of thing more, and he is very very good at creating space for himself on the lead. He's 2nd in the league for marks inside 50, as well as being 2nd in the league for marks on the lead. Despite our good midfield, you don't get that by having poor forward craft.

Exactly this.
Find an underperforming KPF who has played well as a KPD. Riccardi would be great. Brander too.
They will be cheaper than a gun KPD.
His name has been mentioned for years on this board but still think McStay could be the man for this. I played juniors with him and he's always been a much more natural defender.

I see a lot of people mention this but fail to see how it is accurate. His goal kicking can be poor, but his forward craft is quite good. I make an effort of sitting behind the goals at games to see this sort of thing more, and he is very very good at creating space for himself on the lead. He's 2nd in the league for marks inside 50, as well as being 2nd in the league for marks on the lead. Despite our good midfield, you don't get that by having poor forward craft.
His goalkicking is the main one, but it's also his lack of awareness of his surroundings when on the lead. The English incident is not an isolated one, seems like he's taking out team mates much more often than other key forwards. Everything you said is definitely accurate, I just feel there's also a lot of room for improvement. Poor is probably a bit harsh, more like average

His goalkicking is the main one, but it's also his lack of awareness of his surroundings when on the lead. The English incident is not an isolated one, seems like he's taking out team mates much more often than other key forwards. Everything you said is definitely accurate, I just feel there's also a lot of room for improvement. Poor is probably a bit harsh, more like average
I don't think the English incident will every really 'change'. He'd be doing the exact same thing no matter where he was playing as his greatest strength is flying for the ball in packs, and he'd be encouraged to do so at every opportunity. If you start teaching him to be more wary of what's around you run the risk of him second guessing himself when flying for the footy and taking away his strength.

English fits nicely alongside them too

We have a 1st and 4th round pick this year. I'd be keen to look at KPD options with the first rounder on the table.
Could trade for Weideman and turn him into a KPD has all the attributes and may enjoy the change in role

Is lipinski the next coming of Gia?

Good skills, smooth mover, not super athletic, well liked and a good teamate, but when the pressure is on goes missing or isn't quite up to it.

Hard to fault the kid though after being out of the team and being brought back against the tiges, with pressure and atmosphere at finals like intensity in April.

I think all inclusions against the tiges were going to struggle this week, because the step up from vfl to afl was harder than normal, more like 2 to 3 steps.

I hope he is, because only cretins could doubt the ability of somebody who played 265 games at the highest level. They know who they are.

Pies have a new president and football manager. Possibly a new coach or an under the pump existing one. There is no way they are going to trade away their best player, and one the magpie army adores. Would incite anarchy and make last years offseason look like a picnic. It‘s fantasy to even consider.

One guy I threw up last year, was Lachy Keffe. Flies under the radar and can handle the gorillas. No idea on contract status, and no doubt GWS really value him because he’s been good this year too. The rivalry/history wouldn’t help in any trade discussions.

Pies have a new president and football manager. Possibly a new coach or an under the pump existing one. There is no way they are going to trade away their best player, and one the magpie army adores. Would incite anarchy and make last years offseason look like a picnic. It‘s fantasy to even consider.

One guy I threw up last year, was Lachy Keffe. Flies under the radar and can handle the gorillas. No idea on contract status, and no doubt GWS really value him because he’s been good this year too. The rivalry/history wouldn’t help in any trade discussions.
He got delisted by Collingwood so he is a free agent for life don’t need to trade for him if we were interested he comes out of contract at the end of this year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at Pies list, don't think they will move any star players to secure Daicos

Maybe offloading Cox, WHE andMayne for some late seconds/early thirds and maybe Sier if the deal is good enough

If i was dogs, i would be in the ear of Reef McInnes and see if he wants to come over

Looking at Pies list, don't think they will move any star players to secure Daicos

Maybe offloading Cox, WHE andMayne for some late seconds/early thirds and maybe Sier if the deal is good enough

If i was dogs, i would be in the ear of Reef McInnes and see if he wants to come over
Cox, WHE and Mayne wouldn't be worth a 3rd rounder between them.

Would love Reef but the price would be steep, and he should really be playing in the seniors right now so the Pies would be mad to let him go

Cox, WHE and Mayne wouldn't be worth a 3rd rounder between them.

Would love Reef but the price would be steep, and he should really be playing in the seniors right now so the Pies would be mad to let him go
Teams wanting a quick rebuild will easily cough up picks

Reef was hurt in the pre-season, so only had 2 or 3 VFL games under his belt

Still a bit away imo from this year

He’d have to really want to come here. Like really want to as he’d be giving up a lot of $.
And that's the key issue. Firstly, a bloke has to be willing to come. Blokes don't just wake up one morning and say to their manager "just get me there" as much as we joke on here that they do. There are four or five other teams in the premiership window to choose from and then we have to have the cap space to make it happen. That's before the draft / trade assets required to get a deal done let alone the bloke being a good fit for the club and team culture.

Let's unite the McKays - one at each end.
Keath and McKay back, Naughton, Bruce, English, JUH, McKay forward. Maybe McStay back too.

I can hear the commentary now:
"McKay of the Bulldogs kicks in after the behind, picks out McStay. McStay hits up a loose McLean on the wing, wheels and hits Macrae running through half forward, and Macrae picks out the other McKay at the top of the goal square. The tartan Bulldogs are almost a team within a team."

Let's unite the McKays - one at each end.
Keath and McKay back, Naughton, Bruce, English, JUH, McKay forward. Maybe McStay back too.

I can hear the commentary now:
"McKay of the Bulldogs kicks in after the behind, picks out McStay. McStay hits up a loose McLean on the wing, wheels and hits Macrae running through half forward, and Macrae picks out the other McKay at the top of the goal square. The tartan Bulldogs are almost a team within a team."
Disappointed you couldn't fit in a shepherd from Anthony Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back