Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a player mentioned on SEN from Port in Jarrod Lienert who looks a key defender. Do you guys know much about him? Might be a cheap option if he's not playing much at Port. Looks to be performing well in the SANFL. Says he is 85kg but the AFL site says 93kg.

There's a player mentioned on SEN from Port in Jarrod Lienert who looks a key defender. Do you guys know much about him? Might be a cheap option if he's not playing much at Port. Looks to be performing well in the SANFL. Says he is 85kg but the AFL site says 93kg.
I don't, no, but this is the kind of player we should be into. Many of those discussed are pipe dreams that will take assets that we don't have to bring across. Key defenders can just take time and suddenly have it click for them after looking ordinary for a while (e.g. Hamling, Howard, Aliir, Roughead, Jones, Petty, Collins...). If we can find one of these guys we're doing well.

j
I don't, no, but this is the kind of player we should be into. Many of those discussed are pipe dreams that will take assets that we don't have to bring across. Key defenders can just take time and suddenly have it click for them after looking ordinary for a while (e.g. Hamling, Howard, Aliir, Roughead, Jones, Petty, Collins...). If we can find one of these guys we're doing well.
Perhaps one day we can include Young and Gardner on that list?

I don’t have any info on Lienert either but if he’s fully developed he’d want to be no less than about 92kg. Along with the usual attributes like height (minimum 194cm) and closing speed we need a physical presence there not someone who is easily swept aside. If he’s 20 or older and still only 85kg forget it.

j

Perhaps one day we can include Young and Gardner on that list?

I don’t have any info on Lienert either but if he’s fully developed he’d want to be no less than about 92kg. Along with the usual attributes like height (minimum 194cm) and closing speed we need a physical presence there not someone who is easily swept aside. If he’s 20 or older and still only 85kg forget it.
I think Gardner can definitely get there if we can keep his shoulders attached to his body. I lack confidence in Young but I certainly hope so.

Even if they both get there, though, we need another competent KPD.

To my knowledge he’s not really a key defender. Might be 195cm but doesn’t really play like a tall. I’d compare him a little bit to Bailey Williams

Last edited:
So Alex Rance anyone?

We should consider the Geelong VFL full back Krueger, can't crack the seniors but has looked really good and seems like he's a body-to-body defender.

Is there any merit in looking at Sam Reid from Sydney as a KPD or is he just completely cooked and not even worth the chance?

Out of contract, not clear there’s a spot for him in the Swans side, family history to the club.

Is there any merit in looking at Sam Reid from Sydney as a KPD or is he just completely cooked and not even worth the chance?

Out of contract, not clear there’s a spot for him in the Swans side, family history to the club.

He'd be a third generation Bulldog and the fourth in his family to put on the tricolours if we were. He didn't look too bad in the VFL against us so if he came dirt cheap then if he passes a fitness test then he'd be experienced depth.

We should consider the Geelong VFL full back Krueger, can't crack the seniors but has looked really good and seems like he's a body-to-body defender.
I mentioned him around the time of the MSD, but another ex-Geelong KPD is Blake Schlensog. Doing really well in the WAFL right now, and theoretically could come straight into a side Round 1 2022. Replace Hayes with him and we're already a mile ahead even if he struggles for a year or two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned him around the time of the MSD, but another ex-Geelong KPD is Blake Schlensog. Doing really well in the WAFL right now, and theoretically could come straight into a side Round 1 2022. Replace Hayes with him and we're already a mile ahead even if he struggles for a year or two

I'm keen on him. Also still on board with taking Bailey Van Der Heuvel from our VFL list.

I'm keen on him. Also still on board with taking Bailey Van Der Heuvel from our VFL list.
Same - I think the state of our KPD stocks opens us up to the option of drafting these mature state leaguers and not having them waste the list spot. We have 4 key defenders in total, and one is undersized (Cordy), one seems to be somewhat injury prone (Gardner) and another is basically a swingman with no clear best position (Young). If Keath retired tomorrow we'd be genuinely cooked.

Same - I think the state of our KPD stocks opens us up to the option of drafting these mature state leaguers and not having them waste the list spot. We have 4 key defenders in total, and one is undersized (Cordy), one seems to be somewhat injury prone (Gardner) and another is basically a swingman with no clear best position (Young). If Keath retired tomorrow we'd be genuinely cooked.
Gards isn't injury prone, poor bugger had some shocking luck though. Got cannoned into by Keath and Kennedy whilst in a compromised position. Really like what he is bringing to the table.

He’s still super young as well so plenty of scope for improvement

Gards isn't injury prone, poor bugger had some shocking luck though. Got cannoned into by Keath and Kennedy whilst in a compromised position. Really like what he is bringing to the table.
Two major shoulder injuries isn't great. Perhaps "accident prone" is the better term. He's otherwise been pretty durable, but two major injuries in the space of 24 months does us no favours when he's our 2nd best KPD

Two major shoulder injuries isn't great. Perhaps "accident prone" is the better term. He's otherwise been pretty durable, but two major injuries in the space of 24 months does us no favours when he's our 2nd best KPD
Bloody unlucky. If he stays on the park and continues to improve the way he has been, he could be the next Hamling for us IMO.

It still baffles me why we kept Hayes & Cavarra on the list
i can understand the reasoning

With Covid last year, it is more understandable for a club to keep fringe players that have had full time experiencing and training compared to taking a player that might have only played 4-5 games NAB/VFL/WAFL etc in total

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back