Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW people on the pies board jerking off over getting Lipinski.

Reckon he's the next Bont.
Hope they are right and he become an elite mid. Has the tools, his skills, footy iq is elite and let’s be honest he is no slower than pendles. Is the perfect replacement. I rate him very high and feel he could blossom with a more supportive coaching set up.

Georgiades
Ohhhh, in that case Port is getting absolutely sodomized in a trade like that tbh. The biggest issue that will affect any Grundy trade is his contract. $1 million per year until 2027 is just not viable for any team to take on while also paying a huge trade cost.

Grundy is either a salary dump for well under his worth, or the Pies would need to pay a significant chunk of his contract.

Two firsts + Georgiades is just an insane cost to pay for someone with that contract who didn't win AA this year

FWIW people on the pies board jerking off over getting Lipinski.

Reckon he's the next Bont.

Thats his problem. He has all of the traits of The Bont, but not the intangibles like his awareness or most importantly agility for players of their size.

Lipinski is a beautifully skilled player, but the fact is he is just behind better players in positions that he is best suited in.

Is he better skilled than every other next rung role-player on our list? Absolutely, but I just don't think he has displayed the versatility required to play on the flank and pocket wastelands that those guys tend to inhabit. Spaces where the next in line have to go.

Its a shame that he is understandably looking elsewhere, but this is what happens when you stack the midfield guns. You can't have all the toys.

Serious question

What would you think the Dogs would be prepared to give for Grundy if available?

I suggested yesterday that I would drive him to PAFC if we got 2021 1st & 2022 future first and Geo for Grundy and 2022 future 2nd.
I personally hope we wouldnt bark up that tree. Hes worth more than Id be willing to pay and his contract is too big

I'm hearing Dogs might be keen on Goldy again. Allowing English to play forward more.

Dogs: 15
North: Goldy and 38

Good for both parties. Probably the missing puzzle to get you over the line. God speed.

That would work if we thought Tim will still be our nummber 1 ruck going into the future and he just needs another year. If we want to move him to a permanent forward role, we'd be better getting a ruck with a few more years left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hearing Dogs might be keen on Goldy again. Allowing English to play forward more.

Good for both parties. Probably the missing puzzle to get you over the line. God speed.
lmfao "good for both parties"

We're not paying a 1st for a dude who will be 34 next year. We did a 3-way trade for Martin that involved us trading off a rookie listed defender who wasn't getting a game. If we traded for Goldstein, it'd be a pick in the 50s at best

So you want a 1st rounder for a 34yo and you've already pencilled us in for a loss this week

How to win friends and influence people.

Some guys seriously underrating Goldstein here. Would prefer a younger ruck myself but the value proposed is pretty fair tbh, you have to pay up to get your needs at times and one year out of Goldstein with our mids would lead us to being absolutely dominant in there. With the age balance of our list and getting Darcy we could easily do a trade like that without hurting us at all.

Can’t compare to what we paid for Martin as he was coming off an injury riddled year not a solid year. Hawks paid a high price for lake to win another flag. When your in that position you pay up.

Some guys seriously underrating Goldstein here. Would prefer a younger ruck myself but the value proposed is pretty fair tbh, you have to pay up to get your needs at times and one year out of Goldstein with our mids would lead us to being absolutely dominant in there. With the age balance of our list and getting Darcy we could easily do a trade like that without hurting us at all.

Can’t compare to what we paid for Martin as he was coming off an injury riddled year not a solid year. Hawks paid a high price for lake to win another flag. When your in that position you pay up.
Pretty sure Lake was a second or third rounder. And younger.

Darcy also won't be a first ruck. At most he would be a ruck forward but might be a defender.

There's just no need to piss away a first rounder for maybe 1 year of Goldstein... then be in the same position again.

Pass

Don't want another 34 year old ruckman

I think he looked cooked personally but might only need him for a year.

Matt Flynn I think will be next big thing reminds me of a Sean Darcy that's more athletic.

Dog supporters should go and watch Lynch game against Gawn and Melbourne this season he was huge and really took it upto Gawn.

I'm still amazed few years ago Dogs and Cats didn't go after Witts, I posted on this board he was a perfect player and just needed that num 1 ruck role.

Pretty sure Lake was a second or third rounder. And younger.

Darcy also won't be a first ruck. At most he would be a ruck forward but might be a defender.

There's just no need to piss away a first rounder for maybe 1 year of Goldstein... then be in the same position again.

Pass

Never meant Darcy was a first ruck meant we don’t miss out on a first rounder.

So you wouldn’t give a first rounder to win a flag? Because if Goldstein had a similar year next year with us we win a flag unless we get cruelled by injuries. Him feeding Bont, libba, Dunkley, Macrae, smith, treloar which midfield would compete? We would dominate field position, clearances etc

I think he looked cooked personally but might only need him for a year.

Matt Flynn I think will be next big thing reminds me of a Sean Darcy that's more athletic.

Dog supporters should go and watch Lynch game against Gawn and Melbourne this season he was huge and really took it upto Gawn.

I'm still amazed few years ago Dogs and Cats didn't go after Witts, I posted on this board he was a perfect player and just needed that num 1 ruck role.

This board has a habit of player x is a dud, then 6 months later why didn’t we get player x he would have dominated with us. It’s a vicious cycle

No one is underrating his ability as a player. We're just rightfully pointing out how braindead it would be to pay a 1st rounder for a 33 year old ruckman. Outside of the stress fracture Martin had in 2020, he'd been one of the competition's most durable players for years. Now look at him.

No one is underrating his ability as a player. We're just rightfully pointing out how braindead it would be to pay a 1st rounder for a 33 year old ruckman. Outside of the stress fracture Martin had in 2020, he'd been one of the competition's most durable players for years. Now look at him.

Being brain dead is your opinion. We get a free first rounder this year in Darcy. If Goldstein backs up this year we would be favourites for the flag without a doubt. Is gambling a first rounder for a flag brain dead? Not IMO especially when you have a first rounder coming in for free.

Being brain dead is your opinion. We get a free first rounder this year in Darcy. If Goldstein backs up this year we would be favourites for the flag without a doubt. Is gambling a first rounder for a flag brain dead? Not IMO especially when you have a first rounder coming in for free.
But why even pay that price if it's not remotely close to his value? Yes, we get Darcy, but that doesn't mean we should just throw away our 1st for the sake of it. If Goldstein wants to come to us, the Roos aren't going to stop the trade just because we don't hand over our 1st rounder.

Hawks paid a high price for lake to win another flag. When your in that position you pay up.
3 flags, and it was not a high price at all.

We got a 6 pick upgrade in the 20s and Pick 43. When you consider that Hawthorn offering him something like a 600k p.a./2 year contract as a free agent a year later would have netted us a 3rd round pick in the 40s as free agency compensation anyway, it was a joke of a negotiation from our point of view.

Our footy department was run by bedwetters at the time - can barely put into words how different it feels to go into trade periods with such a quality operator such as Sam Power at the helm compared to the feeling of dread back then.

Just as one example, 100% our previous blokes in charge of list management (Fantasia, McCartney) would have given up the Weightman pick in the trades to get Bruce and Keith.

3 flags, and it was not a high price at all.

We got a 6 pick upgrade in the 20s and Pick 43. When you consider that Hawthorn offering him something like a 600k p.a./2 year contract as a free agent a year later would have netted us a 3rd round pick in the 40s anyway, it was a joke of a negotiation from our point of view.

Our footy department was run by bedwetters at the time - can barely put into words how different it feels to go into trade periods with such a quality operator such as Sam Power at the helm compared to the feeling of dread back then.

Just as one example, 100% our previous blokes in charge of list management (Fantasia, McCartney) would have given up the Weightman pick in the trades to get Bruce and Keith.

How many first rounders did the hawks trade out during that period of success?

You cannot compare this year to the Bruce and Keath trades as that year we had an active first rounder we could use. This years first is being gobbled up by Darcy. It’s the same as last year where every single poster was saying first rounders for Dunkley would be meaningless as they would just be used on JUH.

So your example makes no sense compared to this year. As we aren’t taking anyone with our first rounder. It’s value is a lot less to us this year than the Weightman year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back