Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im getting canned yet all these other suggestions on here a laughable to be honest. Again someone saying lets get O'Brien as a key back. He is 27 and hasn't even played 100 games. He is our saviour haha. got to
IMO We don’t need a saviour, we need to improve via internal growth and adding 1 or 2 role players.

We were 10 bad mins off a second flag which I’d largely attribute to reactive strategy.

Our midfield got absolutely pantsed for 2 quarters??!?! Naughtons not going anywhere. I cant believe this is still even a talking point, or that the grand final is being used as evidence that a 21yo who is already one of the best forwards in the game is incapable.

Also I really don't think Naughton was as atrocious in the GF as people here are acting like. It wasn't his best game, no doubt. But he always works his way into games - just after the time our midfield took an early holiday.

If we had kept up like we had in the first 2.5 qtrs, and Naughton ended up with another goal or two, as he usually would in that situation, would be we be desperately calling for him to return to the backline? As far as I can see Naughton in the first 2.5 qtrs was not that much worse than Ben Brown. And it really was a below average game for Naughton.

I wouldn't even think of moving Naughton back until JUH is at least a 45 goal forward. And even then I probably wouldn't do it.

I'd try to get Ladham, trade for Lynch, offer Martin a rookie spot + coach position for next year (sounds like we've offered that already), and keep English.

Next year forward line is Naughton, JUH, English with Ladham and Lynch rotating through. Would not say no to that.
What do you recon we'd need to obtain Ladham? Trade or Draft picks?
No draft captial this year with Sam Darcy's bid and potentally not much next year with the Croft boys F/S.

Also I really don't think Naughton was as atrocious in the GF as people here are acting like. It wasn't his best game, no doubt. But he always works his way into games - just after the time our midfield took an early holiday.

If we had kept up like we had in the first 2.5 qtrs, and Naughton ended up with another goal or two, as he usually would in that situation, would be we be desperately calling for him to return to the backline? As far as I can see Naughton in the first 2.5 qtrs was not that much worse than Ben Brown. And it really was a below average game for Naughton.

I wouldn't even think of moving Naughton back until JUH is at least a 45 goal forward. And even then I probably wouldn't do it.
The issue with Naughton isn't just the Grand Final; he has quiet games a bit too often. His best is exciting, but even that is limited compared to some of the other top key forwards in the AFL.

Some people have the opinion that he can improve. I have the opinion that he's around his peak as a forward right now, and that a move back to defence is the key to getting the best out of him.

At least Mathew Lloyd understands. He is saying trade Dunkley as we have excess mids.

Of course Lloyd is saying that - he knows which club we'd trade Dunkley to!

Libba is just about done as our prime centre bounce muscle. Dunkley in my view will be our 2nd most important mid next year. I understand your desire to trade out something we have an excess of (mids) to fill a hole. But unfortunately the precise mix of mids and age profiles we have right now makes that trade counter-productive for any of our 6 major mids, in my view.

Darcy will be interesting. You can’t place much expectation on a first year player, but players like Naughton and Jackson at Melbourne have done well first up and been as Good as senior players by year two.

If Darcy is ready to go, then I’d be less concerned if English were to seek a trade (as has been speculated).
True. Both were pretty physically developed and in Jackson's case he did play 6 games. If we get 6 games from Sam Darcy (who started the year at 204cm and his weight was 78kgs or similar) that's outstanding.
I expect JUH plays a games tally in the double figures next year. He's fortunate that (like Naughton) his forte is speed, leap and timing rather than bodywork. Doesn't have Naughtons's attack on the football (nobody does) or tank (yet) but he has more natural forward craft and seems a better set shot.

Jarrod Cameron is out of Eagles if we could entice him here could fulfil that role nicely
Jarmaine Jones almost joined our VFL program and is OOC, I expect if we were after an Eagles small forward he'd be our target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren’t linked to mason cox this season? Surprised considering he actually wants to just ruck. If English did stay would help him play forward and back and be 3rd option behind stef martin.

Darcy will be interesting. You can’t place much expectation on a first year player, but players like Naughton and Jackson at Melbourne have done well first up and been as Good as senior players by year two.

If Darcy is ready to go, then I’d be less concerned if English were to seek a trade (as has been speculated).

If genetics count for anything, Luke was pretty skinny his first few seasons, played mainly key forward, only pushed into the ruck in his 3rd full season (only 1 game in 94 as a 19yo, and 3 in 95). Even then in 96 he had Wynd for company in virtually every game (as well as a few games where Grgic played too). In fact he was Big Scotty's understudy until the end of 2000, and became #1 ruck in 2001 at the age of nearly 26.

Edit: sorry, not saying Sam will/should ruck, more tracking Luke's development as a possible pointer to Sam.

Croft is 2023
Well then, what would be the most we would give up for a backup ruckman?
2022 2nd round draft pick for Ladham or a player? Port are in win mode now and may not want to strengthen a rival.
I wouldn't offer more than that, he ain't best 22 for Port.

The issue with Naughton isn't just the Grand Final; he has quiet games a bit too often. His best is exciting, but even that is limited compared to some of the other top key forwards in the AFL.

Some people have the opinion that he can improve. I have the opinion that he's around his peak as a forward right now, and that a move back to defence is the key to getting the best out of him.

He is 21. What other 21yo key forwards are more consistent?
Again no problem having an opinion, but it’s wrong cos it ignores any facts

If we won’t O’Brien, I 100% back the club to get the most out of him. Just look at how we have utilised Duryea

Yeah I remember at the time that Duryea was seen as a depth player who'd do some good stuff but ruin it with dumb stuff minutes later. Nobody would have expected that he'd become a rock in defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back