Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure as hell hope that we convince Jordan Sweet to stay. We need more rucks not less and he has been developing well I think. I would give him an opportunity over English. He has more mongrel, more athleticism and is a better ruck in my view.

He just needs to build his endurance and he is still very young for a ruckman. So please please keep him at the Dogs and give him a chance Bevo.

Never forget how pushing Leon Cameron out to the Tigers back in the day had exactly the impact that King is referring to.
Wally ain’t being pushed. He’s a FA and exploring his options. Contract offer won’t be a heap but that’s what happens when not best 22. If Wally goes it’ll be his choice and good luck to him. He has a family to feed b4 trying to keep us happy

We absolutely need a ruck, but we can get a competitive one without selling our future. I'd take a 6/10 ruck and Darcy over a 9/10 ruck and nothing for our future.

No worries. Happy to agree to disagree on that one. 👍 I would go for the 9/10 ruck if there is one out there.

Who on here has seen Darcy play in the last two years?

I mean how many great games has he played and against who and what league?

Most of the junior footy in Victoria hasn’t transpired.

That pick 17 might deliver us a ready made player and a flag next year.

I don’t care about 5 years time when Darcy may be ready. The cycle suggests we will be at the other end of the ladder then.

We have the team now to compete again.

Maybe I will have egg on my face. But I’m not really interested in Darcy IF we can use that pick 17 to recruit a ready made good quality ruck now.
I agree with the base idea but the reality is pick 17 doesn't deliver the difference maker that would be required. Of those that are being spoken of 17 would be an over pay by a fair margin. So the best call will be to take the top 3 pick that is on offer.

Agree. It's almost a no-brainer with the 20% discount for father-sons plus they extra 30-40% effective through pick swaps (i.e. we are all expecting to turn our 1,025 points from Pick #17 into 1400+ points).

Others have said he's unlikely to be available but I'd go for Payne again using our future first as the carrot to Brisbane. The bloke wasn't in their best 22 for their first final and only came in against us to play as a key forward. Andrews is only 24 and has a lock on their FB spot for them.

My aggressive trading wish. I'm probably a little too optimistic on all and haven't thought of the salary cap.
  • Trade 1: Patrick Lipinski for Collingwood 2022 3rd Rounder
  • Trade 2: Lewis Young for Carlton pick #63 and 2022 4th Rounder
  • Trade 3: Bulldogs 2022 1st rounder + Collingwood 2022 3rd rounder for Jackson Payne, Pick #49 and Brisbane 2022 2nd Rounder. On 2021 finishing positions this values Payne at around pick #31 but if you add the extra 300-400 points they'll be able to extra from our 2022 1st rounder to get points to match a bid on Ashcroft its closer to pick #18-#20)
  • Trade 4: Pick #17 + Pick #49 for Peter Ladhams, Pick #62 and Port's 2022 2nd Rounder
That leaves us with Picks #62 and #63 (235 points combined) plus a draft deficit cap of 1,783 points (3 x 502 points for future 2nds + 1 x 220 points for future 3rd + 3 x 19 points for future 4ths). Gives us total points of 2,018 points vs 2,014 required to cover a bid at pick #2.

This this this this this. Do people not understand we’re getting a top 3 pick probably for the equivalent of pick 17 and a pick in the 40s? We’re not passing him up to use pick 17 on a shitty ruck 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t consider the two to be linked. Issues with our ruck stem from quite a few years back and the fact that English is yet to show he can be that no 1 ruck. I don’t think list management issues stemming from the past few years should mean we give up this unique chance with Darcy.

As an aside, the irony in all of this is finally having a really good side without a decent ruck. Schultz, Round, Dempsey and Wynd all played in low sides at various stages of their careers. We’d kill to have one of them now!
Just imagine peak Wynd feeding our current midfield! Now that would be a sight to behold

Your second paragraph is sort of my point. Even if Darcy is a gun ruck, he may be a gun in a poor team in 5 years. Back to the future for us?

I would rather use that pick now to secure a good ruck in his prime who can play in a very good team next year. If that’s possible. I don’t know if it is.

I know I’m in the minority on here. And I may well have egg on my face in a few years time with Darcy.
Why do we have to be a poor team in 5 years? You bring up Geelong as a model to follow? Yet they built through the draft and have stayed relevant for a decade +, that’s what we’re doing?

No worries. Happy to agree to disagree on that one. 👍 I would go for the 9/10 ruck if there is one out there.

I respect your point of view Wetdog, but could you imagine the outrage from most members and supporters if we didn't go for Darcy? It would also be an absolute field day for footy "journalists."

I base this on nothing but Gut feel that Ladhams will be the one we will come out of the trade period with.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

However, Port who are also in the ‘window’ would not want us to get stronger. Interesting one.

Confident we land one of :
Ceglar
Pittonet
Lynch
Meek
Fort
Ladhams
Meek 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Cellar as stop gap maybe. Ladhams contracted and we don’t have picks. Would Port take pies 2nd end (if they part with it) and still pay part of his final year. I’ve read it was backended.
Feel we’d have to swap 3rd with pies also

Never forget how pushing Leon Cameron out to the Tigers back in the day had exactly the impact that King is referring to.
Wally is very popular and a major influence in the club. I don’t know how he gets himself back into the team but there’s no doubt the players want him there, including the captain.

Why do we have to be a poor team in 5 years? You bring up Geelong as a model to follow? Yet they built through the draft and have stayed relevant for a decade +, that’s what we’re doing?

Exactly? Why the **** is our window only 2-3 more years? A lot of our young stars like Naught, Smith, Weightman, Marra, will be in that 23- 26 year old sweet spot. We should have Darcy and potentially Croft to man other KPP positions. Daniel, Dale, Williams, Bont, English, Dunkley will all be 28-30 years old which is in my opinion the prime of a players career.

Obviously we will need to find another young A grade mid in that time. But we have already blooded a lot of the potential support cast to those players like VDM, Garcia, West, Richards, Gardner etc. The building blocks for 2025 are already there.

However, Port who are also in the ‘window’ would not want us to get stronger. Interesting one.
Think Ports window is closing and they know it Robbie Gray and Trav Boak are getting on. Their midfield is good without being great. Moving Ladhams on is clearing cap space for them to have a crack at whatever they feel is a more pressing need to contend next year.
Maybe it's because Ladhams is difficult to handle be interesting to see how it plays out.

Your second paragraph is sort of my point. Even if Darcy is a gun ruck, he may be a gun in a poor team in 5 years. Back to the future for us?

I would rather use that pick now to secure a good ruck in his prime who can play in a very good team next year. If that’s possible. I don’t know if it is.

I know I’m in the minority on here. And I may well have egg on my face in a few years time with Darcy.

Coulda woulda shoulda if and maybe

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly? Why the **** is our window only 2-3 more years? A lot of our young stars like Naught, Smith, Weightman, Marra, will be in that 23- 26 year old sweet spot. We should have Darcy and potentially Croft to man other KPP positions. Daniel, Dale, Williams, Bont, English, Dunkley will all be 28-30 years old which is in my opinion the prime of a players career.

Obviously we will need to find another young A grade mid in that time. But we have already blooded a lot of the potential support cast to those players like VDM, Garcia, West, Richards, Gardner etc. The building blocks for 2025 are already there.
Nailed it. Our window is huge. Bigger than a regular window, the sun should shine bright on the Bullies for many years. Some good trading and recruiting will see us contenders for 5+ years. Incredible list management since the 2016 flag.

Wally ain’t being pushed. He’s a FA and exploring his options. Contract offer won’t be a heap but that’s what happens when not best 22. If Wally goes it’ll be his choice and good luck to him. He has a family to feed b4 trying to keep us happy
Yes, Wally is not being pushed out. The point was about losing such a player of strong leadership and character regardless of his footy impact on the field. The club made an error letting go / pushing out Leon Cameron at the time. People at the club still reference it. I have heard Chris Grant talk about it. Probably why they are keen to keep Wally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back