Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows, but I'll need time to psych myself up for the melts over the ruck situation come the opening rounds of 2022. We all know they'll come.
I’m an eternal optimist, so I’m hoping that either Martin gets back in shape or Sweet has a massive preseason and hits the ground running.

If we’re as bad as this year from the get go then this place will be Fukushima.

I get it’s a long season and the guys deserve a break and should be in a condition to enjoy it, but is that the reason Weightman delayed surgery until now? I think, for the team, he should have gone in at seasons end but it’s not my break that lost.
I’m fine with, the guys need the mental reset as much as they need the physical clean up. The upside to getting a surgery like this in the off-season v. mid season is you aren’t rushing your rehab to try get back playing. All the rehab will be geared towards running/building his tank again.

I wonder if Brisbane would do 23 and our future second for their future first and 50/54.
Will be looking to trade it this year or next for an early father son bid.
I reckon they would be hoping for a first in return but who knows. They might hold out for draft night and do a live trade if there is a player available that they like.

Collingwood also just presented a very good example of the dangers of jumping the gun when trading future firsts so they may be cautious.

What are your thoughts on Lynch? Is he the answer to our first ruck needs?
I think he would ruck better then either Martin or English next year, although you may not be happy with what he does around the ground. He has however improved a lot from last year (2020) and apparently did very well in the VFL. In his 2 AFL games he faded in the second half after a dominant first half and ended up losing in the ruck (against Adelaide I believe) He looked very good against Gawn in his second game although Gawn made up for this when Melbourne pushed him forward. He was dropped the next week when Grundy came back despite his very good game. He is known around the club to be very fit for a big bloke and I think he looks like an AFL standard ruck going forward. The Pies tend to produce them we have had Witts, Ceglar, Grundy and now Lynch on our list.

If Darcy was holding us up from getting Grundy or Gawn into the club you might consider it, but the downside of being a finalist is you’re out of the early stages of the draft.

The opportunity to get two of the highest rated talls in the land in years we made the finals and GF is too good to pass up.

It's not like we had pick 3 and chose to spend it on Darcy instead of someone else. We had pick 17 and almost nothing else, and turned that into a kid rated around pick 3. I'd choose Darcy and a late draft pick over 17, 43, 58, and 70.

I get it’s a long season and the guys deserve a break and should be in a condition to enjoy it, but is that the reason Weightman delayed surgery until now? I think, for the team, he should have gone in at seasons end but it’s not my break that lost.
I’d say he would’ve just had it assessed in Melbourne after recently returning. The club probably said to him have 2 weeks off after the grand final to mentally refresh and head back.

It’s not ideal but the timeline suggests he should be back in full training the first day after returning fro the Christmas break. He’ll be okay.

I reckon they would be hoping for a first in return but who knows. They might hold out for draft night and do a live trade if there is a player available that they like.

Collingwood also just presented a very good example of the dangers of jumping the gun when trading future firsts so they may be cautious.
I guess it depends how they rate each draft, there will be some good talent still on the board early second round and if they trade into this year they get the talent in 2 years earlier which might help them in their premiership push.

It's not like we had pick 3 and chose to spend it on Darcy instead of someone else. We had pick 17 and almost nothing else, and turned that into a kid rated around pick 3. I'd choose Darcy and a late draft pick over 17, 43, 58, and 70.
I think the idea others have posted is that you use 17 to bring in a mature ruck or another senior player. I can’t see who we would be trading it for though.

Another beauty from Ummmbont on the main board.
“For what it’s worth Bulldogs deep into wingard /listening to x coach about future might get him to ask for trade ..
2022 picks.”

Ah MacraeBF you've done it again...

Theres more to the club than logic, Mr Spock!

This is a Darcy we are talking about - 3 generations.

Just looking at Lapinski in black and white makes me a bit sick. Do you really want to watch a Darcy run around in Crows colours for the next 12 years?
I’m sure Luke doesn’t.

53DBEDA7-889D-49E1-A3F5-2404E74CD770.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how many came back to Lockdown Central (apart from the family blokes). Looks like quite a few have been enjoying themselves elsewhere.

Good on Mitch for backing himself in. I wonder if there is room for him replacing the Josh Bruce role?
Love Mitch but he isn't a big enough body to play that role. Having said that there may be a different role that comes up in the off season in a revised forward line

Yes we were gonna get Moore and/or Grundy with just pick 17 and get Collingwood to pay the wages
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pick 17 is (was) only one of many assets we could have traded.

Try to broaden your horizon. Narrow thinking doesn’t get you far in life.

Weird. A shot at a flag or a team that is at least five years away under a first year coach.
I don’t think we’ve been linked to him once. We may not have enquired at all.

There’s every chance that those making the decisions at the club don’t rate him.

Everyone rightfully shot it down because who do you want that is available and would cost more than our future draft picks next year? Why waste a huge opportunity to bring in a top end talent for basically nothing when anyone we could get (which doesn’t look like much anyway) we could get on top of Darcy?

With respect, you don’t know who is available because you are some random person on an Internet forum who doesn’t work in the industry. You wouldn’t have a clue (as would I). So why should you and I waste our time debating who is and who is not available in your scenario? Sometimes players aren’t available until you approach and make a good offer.

My original point was to equip Power et al with the pick and let them do the work to find someone suitable. If they couldn’t, then by all means draft Darcy.

Maybe Power will do both anyway and draft Darcy. He has been impressive so far.

I’m thinking too far ahead but I’m a little concerned in 5 years time there will be a gap in our midfield when our current guns are coming towards the end - Lipinski was at the right age to bridge the gap but can’t expect him to wait forever.

Can’t afford to lose West next year though.

I’m thinking too far ahead but I’m a little concerned in 5 years time there will be a gap in our midfield when our current guns are coming towards the end - Lipinski was at the right age to bridge the gap but can’t expect him to wait forever.

Smith, West, Garcia, and Dunkley are all under 25, I reckon those four can shore us up for quite a while. Dunkley and Smith are already stars, and West and Garcia are both small but tough. I wouldn't mind if we picked up a mid in next year's draft though.

Smith, West, Garcia, and Dunkley are all under 25, I reckon those four can shore us up for quite a while. Dunkley and Smith are already stars, and West and Garcia are both small but tough. I wouldn't mind if we picked up a mid in next year's draft though.
Just a bit worried about their foot skills - non are really elite. One thing Lipinski was actually skilled at.

Bont will be still 30 in 5 years time. There’s lot of things to worry about but our midfield in 5 years time is certainly not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back