Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constable and Sier delisted - both 191cms - both could play ruck for us 😂
Back in the day we were interested in Sier, he trained with us prior to the draft.
I doubt we'd have any interest now though.

Both those games had 2nd rucks ruck more (ie Cameron had 13 hitouts for Collingwood), in addition to the fact that Gold Coast eventually worked out as the season progressed that Burgess was a better ruck than Graham, because Graham was getting beaten by the Sweet types. Burgess actually rucked more than Graham and was marginally more competitive than the Big O types toward the end of the season.
We had 13 between Young and Timmy, Sweet only had 64% game time too so it’s not like he rucked all day. Not claiming it as anything to write home about just pointing out that it’s a bit silly to completely write off his stats for the time - it was a good debut

Looking at the Western Bulldogs Senior List (web site) a lot of the players have grown an inch or two
Cordy was 193 for years now 195 - must have the long stops on ;)

Here is our 2021 list as confirmed by Champion Data at the start of the year. Regardless of accuracy this is what will go into the record books.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.52.25 pm.png

19 Hitouts to advantage for the year. I have absolutely no figure for comparison…but that sounds very bad!
Thanks very much :)
So Zordy for first ruck then Sweety 2nd :D
Interesting, It’s not bad reading for Sweet against Martin really, what does it look like for Martin if you take out round 12 when he was injured?

should maybe add Clearances and Tackles too as it’s probably an important stat for rucks!

I posted this a couple of weeks ago but I thought with all the recent discussion it would be worth posting again.

45 players contested 200+ ruck contests in 2021. 4 of them were Bulldogs and all 4 ranked in the bottom 12 and all are well below the competition average for Hitout Win Percentage which is 42%...

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 9.20.05 pm.png

Here is our 2021 list as confirmed by Champion Data at the start of the year. Regardless of accuracy this is what will go into the record books.

View attachment 1260487
If you seen Naughton and Bruce together in that pre-game coverage after the north game I think Naughton was actually slightly taller than Bruce so he might of shot up recently.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago but I thought with all the recent discussion it would be worth posting again.

45 players contested 200+ ruck contests in 2021. 4 of them were Bulldogs and all 4 ranked in the bottom 12 and all are well below the competition average for Hitout Win Percentage which is 42%...

View attachment 1260489
We should get a new ruckman!

View attachment 1260489

See Casboult on there… If he was exclusively rucking and not primarily a forward he might go up that ranking a bit. Can pinch hit in other positions.

I don’t see why we wouldn’t do it.

Callum Twomey reckons clubs are eyeing off our first pick for points in exchange. The benefit to us is that the points left over from Darcy will be a pick in the late 30s / early 40s instead of a pick at the end of the draft.

Say our pick 23 to Sydney in exchange for 31 and 39. Gives us an extra 237 points. Sydney move up to pick 23.

Callum Twomey reckons clubs are eyeing off our first pick for points in exchange. The benefit to us is that the points left over from Darcy will be a pick in the late 30s / early 40s instead of a pick at the end of the draft.

Say our pick 23 to Sydney in exchange for 31 and 39. Gives us an extra 237 points. Sydney move up to pick 23.
Sam Power said today talk will continue about more picks swaps.

View attachment 1260489

That's truly embarrassing, but you know, we don't have a problem apparently 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Power said today talk will continue about more picks swaps.
Could also be a deal for 23 with...

Cats 32 and 34 gives us an extra 311 points.

Eagles 29 and 35 gives us an extra 360 points.

Richmond 28 and 38 gives us an extra 327 points.

Sydney 31 and 39 gives us an extra 237 points.

Trust in Sammy. A deal can / will be done.

Last edited:
That's truly embarrassing, but you know, we don't have a problem apparently 🙄
What's the evidence that it does lead to a problem? Do we lose clearances more than other teams? Are other teams somehow more efficient in scoring from clearance wins than the league average against us?

What's the evidence that it does lead to a problem? Do we lose clearances more than other teams? Are other teams somehow more efficient in scoring from clearance wins than the league average against us?
We have the best midfield in the league by an absolute mile, yet still have to bring an extra to stoppages, affecting other parts of our game, to get that advantage in clearances when we really shouldn’t need to with the guys we have in there

For some outside perspective a Collingwood supporter friend today told me that Cox would be a waste of a list spot for us and not even an upgrade for English at ruck work. Obviously a big body but "useless around the ground at the basic fundamentals". Pretty clear why Bevo wouldn't be keen on any player that is one dimensional like that. I haven't seen much of him besides that great Richmond game where he clunked everything

View attachment 1260489

Jordon Sweet is 6 months older than Sean Darcy & Draper and the same age as Ladhams. I’m not sure how he makes up ground on those guys based on what I’ve seen. Fingers perpetually crossed, I guess.

What happened to the rumour that two of our Grand Final best 22 would be leaving in the off season? As far as I can tell none of them left.
There were a few reliable posters who dropped hints before the gf.

Was hoping they'd open up by this point. People leaving, ruck in mind....

With respect to them, they may as well have not bothered.

"I've got a secret but I'm not going to tell you".

Edit: Apologies if they didn't know, but were passing on the rumour.

View attachment 1260489

This is just a horrendous looking list. Send it to Sammy P……

We did address it we re-signed two ruckman and will draft another

Seriously?

We had a threadbare ruck team in 2021, of whom we lost Lewy Young (is he really a ruck?) and signed nobody to replace him.

The only thing i can think of is that they have confidence in Sweet being the #1 ruck in 2022.

If Sweet gets injured then it’s only Stef Martin in the shed as cover - highly doubtful he can string more than a few games together.

We easily could have hooked our 2022 second rounder as bait to land a serviceable ruck - but doesn’t appear that we even tried…

Seriously?

We had a threadbare ruck team in 2021, of whom we lost Lewy Young (is he really a ruck?) and signed nobody to replace him.

The only thing i can think of is that they have confidence in Sweet being the #1 ruck in 2022.

If Sweet gets injured then it’s only Stef Martin in the shed as cover - highly doubtful he can string more than a few games together.

We easily could have hooked our 2022 second rounder as bait to land a serviceable ruck - but doesn’t appear that we even tried…

Given our list is stacked with mids, HBF types, with a few small forwards coming through, has a few KPF's now (never thought I'd type that), our two deficiencies are KPD's and ruck. Given we are picking up a long term KPD (potentially with Darcy), where was the risk in a F2 or F3 pick to sure up the ruck area ??

What did we have to lose with this approach ?

Even if we didn't ever bloody play them, it's a ******* insurance policy to prevent another potentially wasted year....

It was worth the pick costs in 2022 to get someone in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back