Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading with Geelong makes a lot of sense because we can have multiple trades lined up depending where a bid on Darcy lands.
I think it was mentioned a few days ago that Geelong were leading the race for 23 with Sydney and Collingwood also interested.
Geelong have 30, 32, 34 and 50 so lots of flexibility depending on when the Darcy bid comes in.

The hope from our point of view may be that Darcys bid comes in at 3 or 4 so that we only need one of Geelong's picks, in which case we could trade 23 for whichever pick plus a future 2nd.

If we get Darcy fully paid for, and add a 2nd rounder to our full suite of 2022 picks we will be absolutely laughing.

There's an interesting little interview on the AFL website with Sydney's list manager.
He basically said that they were very interested in trading with us for 23 but that he didn't think that they would be able to satisfy Sam with the trade.
He thought that Sam would probably go into the draft with a trade for 23 lined up - which probably goes without saying.

The interview followed on from one with GWS' list manager in which he didn't give much away, but he did say that they would bid on players based on where they ranked them in the draft. The Sydney list manager was asked following on from that interview if he would bid on Fahey (GWS academy) to which he said something like "well based on that we will be".
I might be reading too much into it, but he sounded a little miffed and also a little threatening which made it feel like the trade for 23 would be very dependent on where Darcy was bid on.

It is something that I hadn't considered before - but the more clubs still in with a shot at getting 23 the more pressure there might be on GWS not to bid on Darcy. Maybe a little trade needs to be orchestrated with GWS to make not bidding in their best interest also.
Twomeys Phantom says that if GWS don't bid he likely doesn't get a bid till Hawthorn which is pick 6. Surely we can find a way to convince GWS not to bid

The interview followed on from one with GWS' list manager in which he didn't give much away, but he did say that they would bid on players based on where they ranked them in the draft. The Sydney list manager was asked following on from that interview if he would bid on Fahey (GWS academy) to which he said something like "well based on that we will be".
I might be reading too much into it, but he sounded a little miffed and also a little threatening which made it feel like the trade for 23 would be very dependent on where Darcy was bid on.

It is something that I hadn't considered before - but the more clubs still in with a shot at getting 23 the more pressure there might be on GWS not to bid on Darcy.
Can you please explain this to me like I'm eigh... er, five.

"Foxfooty.com.au understands the Giants will instead bid on Western Bulldogs father-son prospect Sam Darcy at Pick 2 — a move the Dogs will match instantly — then select gun Sandringham Dragons on-baller Finn Callaghan at Pick 3, leaving the Gold Coast Suns to bid on Daicos."

Geelong have 30, 32, 34 and 50 so lots of flexibility depending on when the Darcy bid comes in.

The hope from our point of view may be that Darcys bid comes in at 3 or 4 so that we only need one of Geelong's picks, in which case we could trade 23 for whichever pick plus a future 2nd.

If we get Darcy fully paid for, and add a 2nd rounder to our full suite of 2022 picks we will be absolutely laughing.

I think Power will figure out where bid will be prior to draft to get the points balance right between 2021 points and a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year

Geelong have 2x 3rd rounders in 2022 at the moment

Twomeys Phantom says that if GWS don't bid he likely doesn't get a bid till Hawthorn which is pick 6. Surely we can find a way to convince GWS not to bid
If a bid came at pick 6 instead of pick 2 we could pay for Darcy using just 43, 44, 45 and 52 and trade 23 for maximum value.

Twomey has suggested that GWS might want to trade back pick 13. If that is the case surely we can work out a mutually beneficial deal.
Maybe we trade out 23 for GWS future 2nd and then after the Darcy bid trade our future first for 13.
Separately the value of both trades is a little off but as a whole it is pretty equitable. Maybe we throw some future thirds around to balance the ledger.

"Foxfooty.com.au understands the Giants will instead bid on Western Bulldogs father-son prospect Sam Darcy at Pick 2 — a move the Dogs will match instantly — then select gun Sandringham Dragons on-baller Finn Callaghan at Pick 3, leaving the Gold Coast Suns to bid on Daicos."

GWS having not even spoken to Daicos points to a Darcy bid at #2.
Can that ******* club do one thing not to spite the Bulldogs?!

Can you please explain this to me like I'm eigh... er, five.

I'm thinking that while we will not be in a position to bid on Fahey after all our picks go on Darcy, Geelong or Sydney will be.
So if we have a deal in place with either club that can only happen if GWS don't bid on Darcy there is a strong incentive for them to convince GWS not to bid.

Maybe there is even a threat from Sydney that if GWS bid on Darcy and blow the deal that is in place with us, they will bid on Fahey at 18 which would mean that GWS have not accumulated enough points to pay for him and would have to trade for more.
This is what I felt there was a little hint of in the interview on the AFL website.

It is highly unlikely and probably just wishful thinking on my part - just thought I would throw it out there.

******* hate that club it’s ok Finn Callaghan we will rescue you from that dump of place in a few years

******* hate that club it’s ok Finn Callaghan we will rescue you from that dump of place in a few years
If he turns out to be crap he'll end up at Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS having not even spoken to Daicos points to a Darcy bid at #2.
Can that ******* club do one thing not to spite the Bulldogs?!

It's frustrating, but if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be hoping out club did exactly the same thing. Anything you can do to weaken your opponents you should take advantage of imo.

I know Collingwood aren't likely to be a major threat any time soon but I'd be bidding on Daicos as well. It's not like whoever they end up selecting at four would have their noses massively out of joint if they have any understanding of how the system works. Seems strange to give the pies extra draft capital when you know for sure they will match whenever he's selected.

Would of thought they would of taken Mac Andrew after they placed a bid on Darcy
There was talk they'd trade down for pick 4 or 5, but that seems to have fallen through.

Nope, that was Brisbane with Ben Keays.

As far as I know we've never bid on a GWS academy selection.
You're right, I stand corrected.

Recruiters show their worth nailing late picks. We've been blessed in recent years with some good talent coming through (McNeil last year, Garcia and Butler in 2019).

I'm excited to see what Milesi can offer after a full year of recruiting.

GWS are campaigners and I wish them nothing but lean years and failure. ******* aholes if they bid on Darcy and not the best performed TAC player in some years. They can kiss my sweaty ringhole.
They have interviewed Darcy but not Daicos I am like you * that franchise club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back