Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from Darcy and maybe McComb and Raak, I really don't know much about these kids we brought in. They all seem to offer a bit just weren't even on my radar of what we were looking at. Trust the recruiting team though, they rarely miss.

Ryan Gardner elevated to the senior list, but no word on either Roarke or Sweet so assuming they are still rookies

Don’t really have a thread to put this in - finally coming to terms with the grand final loss, geez I’ve ******* hated everything to do with footy since then. It was a s**t night, and honestly * Melbourne the arrogant campaigners. They’re a s**t club whose privileged list build and run sums up their privileged premiership, honestly zero respect for them and their cheating tanking ways. Their fans are campaigners too and I’m stoked they couldn’t witness the flag, as we did. May they never win one again.

but for us it’s the loss we needed, just look at the hawks and how similar our timelines are - you think they win the three peat without that loss in 2012? I wouldn’t have thought so. Not saying we’re going to win 3 in a row, but we have the best list in the comp only getting better, I hope that loss *ing burnt, we’re honestly in for such a ride over the next few years. We will win at least 2 flags in the next 5 mark my words, and frankly, 2 would be disappointing.

We’ll look back at this year as the year that set up our dynasty, no doubt in my mind about that

Our list is in real good shape. I’ve read a few posts bemoaning the fact we didn’t draft a 2m KPD and it just makes me chuckle. We gave up 100 points once last year, and it was in that horrible last 40 mins of the granny. The lack of a big gorilla down back was not to blame for the that.

It’s not apples for apples but out of Melbourne’s 3 defensive pillars in Lever, May and Petty only Petty is taller than 193cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could put together an injury tally like Melbourne enjoyed last year, we would be an extremely difficult team to beat. Our list is well placed other than ruck depth but quality is hard to come by in that position and takes time to develop.
May the footy gods smile on us and 2022 should be an awesome ride

Sounds funny to say but whether Sweet can step up or not could have a massive say in our future success.

If he can just be a half decent ruck, it means English can spend more time forward mixing it with Naughton, Bruce, Marra.

And the flow on could mean Darcy plays as a key defender.

Structurally, Sweet could be extremely important.

I know flags are hard to win. Two in 96 years for us is proof of that. Just feel 2 flags is the realistic minimum aim out of this outstanding list. We have already fell just short in year one so lets not disappoint this season. Having said that JUH and Darcy are years away from their prime but we need them to develop quickly whilst The Bont, Macrae and Treloar are at their best.

I know flags are hard to win. Two in 96 years for us is proof of that. Just feel 2 flags is the realistic minimum aim out of this outstanding list. We have already fell just short in year one so lets not disappoint this season. Having said that JUH and Darcy are years away from their prime but we need them to develop quickly whilst The Bont, Macrae and Treloar are at their best.
Honestly, I’d be happy with one more from this list. They are so hard to win. I want Bont to be a 2 time premiership player and cement himself has our best ever player. It’s impossible to stay up forever, the next two years are out sweet spot and we need to win one of those.

I know many won’t agree on this but I reckon if we had a clean run of injury going into the GF we may well have won.

Bruce, VDM, Gardner, Keath, Trelor, Dunkley and Weightman all had interrupted runs and Bont looked cooked carrying injuries through the later half of the season but doing his best to hide it.

Timing is everything and even though we lost some stars like McLean early in the year you can adjust but not at the business end. When we won the granny it went the other way - with players coming back and staying solid and stable until the end.

Who knows how our luck will play out this year but what we can expect is a better team with the following ups:

English will be better and with VFL hopefully Sweet also;

JUH will play a role particularly at the end of the year. He already is a consistent multi-goal player and will be stronger with a bigger tank;

O’Brien for Wood. I have loved Wood but players like Fritsch are just too quick for him now.

Schache jumped out of his shell with 3 out of 4 very good first 22 games towards the end of the year - defence or forward he should go into pre-season full of confidence. I hope he trains as a defender because the contact game will help him long term forward all back and his kicking is outstanding.

Material improvements based on demonstrated trajectory Gardner, Garcia, West, Weightman, VDM, Hannan and McNeil.

My smoky is West - he has the talent and only needs to add maturity to be a star. May need to play forward to get a game though.

Coming back: Crozier, McLean and Richards - these are three top 22 players and will lift us.

I hope we also see Wallis back in the team - he gives us incredible cover for one of our most important players (Libba) but also adds grunt in the forward line that I feel makes us more dangerous. He is too good to be out of the team.

Unknowns who have shown glimpses: Bedendo, Sweet, Butler and Buku.

Also don’t expect anything from draftees in the first year but said that last year and I think most played significant games. Charlie looks ready and McComb could play day one but has about 75 players in front of him.

Downs we only have Duryea and Martin at 30+ this must be the least in the league. And so shouldn’t expect any age related drop off other than Martin - who only played a few games anyway.

Overall we will likely improve and we were pretty close. Melbourne likely improve also given their profile but could not get that lucky again with injuries and then companies like the Tigers likely to bounce and Brisbane also hit by injuries will be better.

I know many won’t agree on this but I reckon if we had a clean run of injury going into the GF we may well have won.

Bruce, VDM, Gardner, Keath, Trelor, Dunkley and Weightman all had interrupted runs and Bont looked cooked carrying injuries through the later half of the season but doing his best to hide it.

English's concussion was very significant too. He was flying in the forward line, then he copped Naughton's knee to his jaw. When he came back he wasn't the same player for the rest of the year.

English's concussion was very significant too. He was flying in the forward line, then he copped Naughton's knee to his jaw. When he came back he wasn't the same player for the rest of the year.

English no concussion and Bruce no ACL flips everything on it’s head. We wouldn’t have had to take the long way and that alone changes everything.

Not enough is made of Melbourne being kissed on the dick all year, so much that their most serious injury (Tomlinson aside) was Hunt who missed ~6 weeks and the GF with an ankle injury.

Not enough is made of Melbourne being kissed on the dick all year,
I hope we are investigating this. My gut feel is it was just amazing luck, but if there was some action they took or processes they put in place to minimise the injuries they got I hope we are finding out about it and implementing it ourselves. I think it is too important to be just a throw away line and we just go with the same old ways.

I hope we are investigating this. My gut feel is it was just amazing luck, but if there was some action they took or processes they put in place to minimise the injuries they got I hope we are finding out about it and implementing it ourselves. I think it is too important to be just a throw away line and we just go with the same old ways.
They did have one of the best performance/fitness guys in the world. He’s now at Adelaide. Some injuries, or lack of, are down to luck though.

Looking at the age profile of the list it's about as perfect as you could hope for. Only two players over 30, with Duyrea at 30 the only one you expect to be in the best 22. The sort of elite level young talent that you only in sides coming out the other end of a rebuild, a group of A graders in their prime. With good forward planning the exception should making the top four for the next decade and then it'll just come down to taking the chances that are on offer in September.

View attachment 1288876

I do reckon we were being a bit cheeky in bidding on Fahey as he's far from a need, but he was probably best available at that pick.
Absolute joke he was still around at our pick in the first place.

The orange scum kissed on the dick as usual, just like with Green, meanwhile we cop bids at 1 and 2.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back