Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My name is Norm and I like new threads, but I like stupid thread titles and polls more, so look out!

Continued from Part 1:

Strategy - Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Pertinent details re list management changes.

2019 Edition.

Friday 4 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period Commences.

Monday 7 October 9am - NAB AFL Trade Period Commences.

Thursday 10 October 5pm - Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

Sunday 13 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer Three-Day Period Ends.

Wednesday 16 October 7.30pm (tbc) - NAB AFL Trade Period Closes (for exchange of players).

Thursday 17 October - AFL Trade Period Opens (selections only).

Friday 18 October 5pm - Application to Relist a Player Close

Thursday 31 October 2pm - List Lodgement (1)

Friday 1 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Commences

Monday 11 November- AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes

Tuesday 12 November 2pm - List Lodgement (2)

Wednesday 13 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences

Friday 22 November 2pm - NAB AFL Trade Period Closes (for exchange of selections only)

Friday 22 November 5pm - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Closes

Wednesday 27 November 7pm - 9.30pm - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting (Round One), Marvel Stadium.

Thursday 28 November 7pm - 9.30pm - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting (Round Two onwards to conclusion).

Thursday 28 November (post draft) - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3)

Thursday November 28 post draft OR Friday 29 November from 9am - NAB AFL Rookie Draft

Monday 2 December 2pm - Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Last edited:

0utsider

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I read a lot about our need for a key defender and small forwards in this thread but I think our lack of intercepting general defenders is a weakness that goes under the radar. Intercept marking has been a real hallmark of Melbourne’s success the last couple of years and is a big part of Fremantles rocketing up the ladder this year.

Richards has seriously improved in the area recently but since Wood retired and Crozier seemingly forgot how to play football I’d like to see us targeting a genuine aerial weapon as a cheap pick up from another club or a mature age draftee.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I read a lot about our need for a key defender and small forwards in this thread but I think our lack of intercepting general defenders is a weakness that goes under the radar. Intercept marking has been a real hallmark of Melbourne’s success the last couple of years and is a big part of Fremantles rocketing up the ladder this year.

Richards has seriously improved in the area recently but since Wood retired and Crozier seemingly forgot how to play football I’d like to see us targeting a genuine aerial weapon as a cheap pick up from another club or a mature age draftee.
That's what Keath was recruited for but he had no lockdown key defenders so he has to play that instead. O'Brien was also recruited for this and has shown glimpses when he's healthy like the 1st quarter against the crows when he took 4 or 5

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane have been pressured into offering McStay a 5 year deal. That is insanity. Bloke is the definition of average role player tall. Yikes.

But talls are scarce, so they have to overpay to keep an average one. The difference between McStay and an u18 or state league is huge.

I don’t mind the move from Lions perspective. It’s annoying from our perspective though.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I have been writing about this for a while. A KPD would be great but a medium who can intercept is a need too. OBrien was recruited to do this, so I hope he gets better at it. Richards has got better at it too but we really need someone to grab that Wood position and make it their own.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
But talls are scarce, so they have to overpay to keep an average one. The difference between McStay and an u18 or state league is huge.

I don’t mind the move from Lions perspective. It’s annoying from our perspective though.
I half agree, however McStay’s quality screams 2-3 year deal at the very best. They’re now offering him 5 years at over 2.5m for the life of that contract and there’s a chance Essendon offer substantially more than that again to lure him away.

Am I missing something here? Fair play to a team that give him 550-600k for a couple of years but my god. To lock him in for 5 screams desperate.

0utsider

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's what Keath was recruited for but he had no lockdown key defenders so he has to play that instead. O'Brien was also recruited for this and has shown glimpses when he's healthy like the 1st quarter against the crows when he took 4 or 5
I actually like Keath in the role he plays now and wouldn’t be looking to change it at all.

Agreed on O’Brien, I think he was a good recruit for the role and has a part to play but his bodies unreliable and I wouldn’t be trusting him long term. Guys like Parker, Cleary and Raak I guess are an attempt to fix the issue if TOB can hold down the fort while they develop.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I half agree, however McStay’s quality screams 2-3 year deal at the very best. They’re now offering him 5 years at over 2.5m for the life of that contract and there’s a chance Essendon offer substantially more than that again to lure him away.

Am I missing something here? Fair play to a team that give him 550-600k for a couple of years but my god. To lock him in for 5 screams desperate.

When you are in the window, keeping the list together to contend is the list managers number one priority. They obviously can’t see a replacement that is as good as him, so are spending big to keep him.

I actually hope the No hope Bombers up their offer to $3.5M over the 5 years and McStay goes. He won’t make them any better and it will use up lots of their cap space. It will also make them win trade week. That is the only win they are chasing this year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Totally agree with what you're saying, but I also understand why they're offering it. Without McStay, it's basically just Daniher and Hipwood, who have both had serious injury troubles in recent years. I'd be pretty annoyed as a Lions fan, but would be far more annoyed if he was poached and then one of the other two gets another long term injury. Ultimately it's a slightly above average wage (which is okay) over a concerningly long period (the not so good part). Sucks, but it is what it is

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Totally agree with what you're saying, but I also understand why they're offering it. Without McStay, it's basically just Daniher and Hipwood, who have both had serious injury troubles in recent years. I'd be pretty annoyed as a Lions fan, but would be far more annoyed if he was poached and then one of the other two gets another long term injury. Ultimately it's a slightly above average wage (which is okay) over a concerningly long period (the not so good part). Sucks, but it is what it is
Isnt AFL average player salary about $400k per year. Paying $500k for a 26 year-old that you know is good AFL standard is a no-brainer i reckon. Yeah maybe 1 year more than you'd like but it hardly a crippling deal

They can't keep Daniher and Hipwood on the park, at least McStay is durable. I thought he was in ripping form when I saw him play against Geelong, but looks like the rest of his season is fairly normal.

So are we all just going to ignore the fact that OP is from 2017 with new posts from today??

s reactions jim GIF

CountryDog5

Backseat Footballer
Oct 14, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Off topic here D4C, but saw you mention Callaghan in another thread. Is he someone we're looking at soon or do you think we'll wait until he's out of contract?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Off topic here D4C, but saw you mention Callaghan in another thread. Is he someone we're looking at soon or do you think we'll wait until he's out of contract?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our recruiters have a giant woodie over him. He’s a vic boy and hasn’t settled in as well as hoped in Sydney.

Doesn’t mean he’s actively trying to get out of there but there’s definitely questions being asked and GWS are putting a fair amount of pressure on for a signature.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our recruiters have a giant woodie over him. He’s a vic boy and hasn’t settled in as well as hoped in Sydney.

Doesn’t mean he’s actively trying to get out of there but there’s definitely questions being asked and GWS are putting a fair amount of pressure on for a signature.

He is quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back