Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to see Sam Power make a really clear take it or leave it offer for Lobb tomorrow.

I’d love to see Sam Power make a really clear take it or leave it offer for Lobb tomorrow.
I don't think Lobb gets contemplated by Freo until Jackson does.

If Freo get Jackson, Lobb is very expensive surplus they'll let go for a lower pick as the salary dump is more important than the trade price.

Power will know he can deal cheap

If they don't get Jackson, they keep Lobb.

Well, the "score" thus far is 54 likes to 1 dislike. That's in a little under 24 hours since I asked the question. I'm suggesting there is a clear consensus that we should have less tolerance for personal attacks on players and for vilifying individual players in general.

I'd ask that all posters comply with the wishes of your fellow Bulldog supporters and with the Rules of the site and to be civil and respectful when discussing players.
You have a mandate now.

Moderate accordingly and see how it goes.

We can always open for further discussion at a later date and assess the progress.

He will make a take it or leave offer for Lobb. About 5 minutes before the deadline. Then Bell will accept with about 30 seconds to go. You know how these things work Northern.

Deals will be done early, but the afl need the final day to be entertaining. Can see the Lobb one getting done early but not announced till late

You’ve got your head stuck in the sand if you think some of the posts about McComb are only that he’s a “bad footballer”. Some of the comments on him and Gardiner across the last 12-24 months have been disgraceful.

Why do you think some players refrain from social media? Because for players like the two I mentioned, it means they don’t have to read the abuse handed out to them by some supporters. In here included.
I'm pretty sure clubs urge very cautious use of social media by players, but young guys love it so they usually learn some harsh lessons when they're suddenly in the spotlight. Remember Cody had to disable comments on his Insta page after the 20 EF. And Bevo came out to publicly ask for Gards to be given a fair go. Also notice the older players rarely post anything, many don't even have accounts. That doesn't stop them from copping nasty stuff of course, just not directly.

Add Lewy and Jong's names to that list.
All the above mentioned players have been solid citizens for the club, tried their very best within the boundary's of their skill set, they were all depth players who were so proud to pull on the dogs Jersey.
But there is a group of supporters on here that relentless bash them. WTF??
Is it the social media conundrum?
If they don't meet your instant gratification, they must be s**t.

Here's a thought, maybe your expectations are way off the mark, the issues are more about you, than the doggies players you are bagging.
There's a lot of chest-thumping that comes with supporting a team. Egos (supporters') are on the line. It used to be fist fights, but it's easier now to let off steam online, anonymously, and you can really let rip. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve got your head stuck in the sand if you think some of the posts about McComb are only that he’s a “bad footballer”. Some of the comments on him and Gardiner across the last 12-24 months have been disgraceful.

Why do you think some players refrain from social media? Because for players like the two I mentioned, it means they don’t have to read the abuse handed out to them by some supporters. In here included.
This abuse of McComb has now even got to the point that if another random player is being abused, people will quote the post simply to throw McCombs name into the abuse mix.

Melican worth a look?
He's the backline version of Mohocek. A good honest player, neat disposal, 1-2cms shorter than he should be for the position he plays but always gives his all.
Upgrade on Cordy, but it sounds like he's had a lot of medical issues the past 1-2 years

This abuse of McComb has now even got to the point that if another random player is being abused, people will quote the post simply to throw McCombs name into the abuse
There is a great book about being a female sport journalist by Lynn Truss called ‘Get Her Off The Pitch’. She recounts being a female sport journalist in the 1980’s and 90’s, to the horror of many.
She was assigned to follow Tottenham Hotspur for a season and report weekly in a Sunday paper. Being not a soccer fan, her biggest surprise was the presence of the ‘whipping boy’ for Tottenham, a phenomenon of which she was previously unaware.
She noted that even when the aforementioned whipping boy scored a screamer, the general feeling was, ‘Well it’s about time, he ducking owed us.’ He couldn’t win, whatever he did.

Its not just footy fans.

I could imagine Lobb sitting next year out if Freo can’t agree to a deal
Not sure he would give up the 750k that his contract is apparently worth.
I get it that he wants out, but sitting out a year is not a great choice for a 30yr old.
If he does sit, there's no guarantee that the interest in him will be there

You have a mandate now.

Moderate accordingly and see how it goes.

We can always open for further discussion at a later date and assess the progress.
Cheers Maddog. Shall do.

There is a great book about being a female sport journalist by Lynn Truss called ‘Get Her Off The Pitch’. She recounts being a female sport journalist in the 1980’s and 90’s, to the horror of many.
She was assigned to follow Tottenham Hotspur for a season and report weekly in a Sunday paper. Being not a soccer fan, her biggest surprise was the presence of the ‘whipping boy’ for Tottenham, a phenomenon of which she was previously unaware.
She noted that even when the aforementioned whipping boy scored a screamer, the general feeling was, ‘Well it’s about time, he ducking owed us.’ He couldn’t win, whatever he did.

Its not just footy fans.
There’s an interesting turn going on at my other footy club, Everton. We bought Alex Iwobi for £35M a few years ago and after failing to deliver he became almost a figure of fun at the club. His name on the team sheet was met with groans and his social media flooded with abuse. This year, under a new manager and a new system he has blossomed into our best player. The lad is absolutely brimming with confidence and getting better and better.

It’s interesting. The criticism of him early on was largely warranted. The abuse, obviously, wasn’t. I would like to think we could learn something from the experience, but I think team sports by their very nature result in someone being the weakest member therefore having a target on their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back