Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like GWS will have a stack of picks this year.
Any consideration to trade our first down to a late first and pick up an extra second? This could be a year to really hit the draft hard
Don't really see the point in downgrading.
Teams have a much higher success rate drafting talent at the top end of the draft rather than somewhat speculative picks in the 30's 40's etc. Unless they need points, I don't understand why any team would do this

Way off topic so apologies up front.
If Dunks did go to the draft is there a minimum salary North has to pay him? I know there is for new players taken early.
My understanding is that other than first-time draftees (or distinction might be aged based), experienced players can nominate for either the ND or PSD with a stated contract. The club selecting them is doing so on the basis of agreeing to that contract.

So if reports are to be believed, we are strengthening Brisbane and Melbourne.

Who can we send to Geelong and Sydney?

Maybe Macrae can replace Selwood as a tough midfielder, we can just get McComb to play his role. Then JUH can learn from Buddy for a year and take over later, Darcy has shown rapid improvement and we still have a few talls.

Melbourne doing due diligence on Hunter
Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

Maybe overly optimistic but we are in a great position to get a good price for Dunkley. The club have played it well so far. There is no need for us to settle and take what we are given in this situation for a number of reasons.

• The onus is on Brisbane to get this done. They come after Dunkley knowing full well they were already hard up for points for their F/S.
  • We don't have to threaten PSD at all. The relationship between club and Dunkley is good. Make it clear what our price is and offer to have Dunkley back for 12 months if the price isn't met, allowing him to walk as a FA next year. We know roughly what the FA compo will be already.
  • FA brings competition and Dunks loves $$$, wouldn't be at the Dogs, but might not go to Brissy in 12 months either.
  • Dunkley more than likely to stay the 1 year if the trade doesn't get done, he aint walking into the North s**t show via the PSD.
  • If it's 'lifestyle' reasons it shouldn't matter too much to Dunkley if he has to wait another 12 months, particularly if his GF isn't in QLD anyway.
  • The Taranto trade has set the market price.
  • We have Sam Power doing the negotiating

Brisbane will likely need/want us to do the grunt work in this by us splitting our later/future picks for more points to send with Dunkley to get the 2 firsts, that's really not our problem.
I wouldn't be happy if I was a fringe player busting my arse to play seniors and then Dunkley can't get to Brisbane so he plays another year at the club. Takes my spot and I would trying to knock his head into the grandstand at training. If the 0.00001% chance comes about Brisbane and the Dogs can't come to terms I would be saying to Dunkley " do what you like but you are not playing for us."

I wouldn't be happy if I was a fringe player busting my arse to play seniors and then Dunkley can't get to Brisbane so he plays another year at the club. Takes my spot and I would trying to knock his head into the grandstand at training. If the 0.00001% chance comes about Brisbane and the Dogs can't come to terms I would be saying to Dunkley " do what you like but you are not playing for us."

As much as I'm over Dunkley shopping himself around the last 2 years, the reality is Dunkley busts his ass too and has shown to be a high performing pro on field whilst actively trying to leave the club. He gives us a better chance of winning the flag next year than any fringe player currently on our list.

If Brisbane's offer is a 2022 or 2023 1st (15ish) surely the net positive for the club is 1 more year of service from Dunks and roughly the same pick in FA compo next year anyway.

quick question please. has the club provided a list of delisted players? if so, who has been delisted? cannot find this info anywhere. thanks in advance.
VitalDread indicated earlier today on a previous page of this thread that we're unlikely to announce delistings until after trade period, unlike most other clubs. Not sure it does fringe/un-contracted players any favours, as they're left hanging waiting for either an offer from elsewhere, or an updated contract offer from us if there are list spots remaining and/or they can provide depth for roles we haven't been able to fill. Sh1tty place to be in really, but to be expected unfortunately in their situation.

As much as I'm over Dunkley shopping himself around the last 2 years, the reality is Dunkley busts his ass too and has shown to be a high performing pro on field whilst actively trying to leave the club. He gives us a better chance of winning the flag next year than any fringe player currently on our list.

If Brisbane's offer is a 2022 or 2023 1st (15ish) surely the net positive for the club is 1 more year of service from Dunks and roughly the same pick in FA compo next year anyway.
You are making out he is irreplaceable, not the case. You may think he is still on good terms with the club but not every player there is happy with the way he went about it. He played another year and he won't give you a better chance of winning a flag, because he won't be happy and neither will some other players on the list.

VitalDread indicated earlier today on a previous page of this thread that we're unlikely to announce delistings until after trade period, unlike most other clubs. Not sure it does fringe/un-contracted players any favours, as they're left hanging waiting for either an offer from elsewhere, or an updated contract offer from us if there are list spots remaining and/or they can provide depth for roles we haven't been able to fill. Sh1tty place to be in really, but to be expected unfortunately in their situation.
The players would already know. Louis Butler is not in the dark about whether he gets a new contract. Similarly Josh Schache, etc. They will have been communicated the permutations under which they will/won’t have new offers and their manages will be operating with that transparency provided (talking to other clubs, talking to VFL teams, etc.)

This is certainly different than in previous years and runs counter to most other teams. Any hypothesis to why we are operating in this manner? I can only assume that we are seriously unsure of what may potentially come through the door in terms of players and potential usable draft picks. Could mean a serious list turn over or not much change at all.

Which will it be?

This is certainly different than in previous years and runs counter to most other teams. Any hypothesis to why we are operating in this manner? I can only assume that we are seriously unsure of what may potentially come through the door in terms of players and potential usable draft picks. Could mean a serious list turn over or not much change at all.

Which will it be?
Not sure, maybe VitalDread can add some context as he seems to have inside info with list management at times. VitalDread ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best part of Power’s interview on Trade Radio was when they asked him about the complication of Brisbane requiring points for their father sons.

You get the feeling Brisbane have tried to use that as a justification too as his response was that isn’t for us to be concerned about, all we are interested in is getting the appropriate compensation for Josh.

Which will it be?
I’m surprised more clubs don’t do this. Unless there are players you are 100% not interested in offering a contract to, why limit options so early? Sure we could delist Butler right now, but you never know circumstances could change and it maintains flexibility. As others have said the players won’t be in the dark about where they stand

Lloyd running with McDonald-Tipungwuti considering coming out of retirement. Bombers keen but Freo leading the race. I was keen a few years and would still be interested now

Lloyd running with McDonald-Tipungwuti considering coming out of retirement. Bombers keen but Freo leading the race. I was keen a few years and would still be interested now
Buyer beware for me, hasn't played for how long now? Would be worried about his ability to commit to the fitness required.

Also I know a lot the stuff list managers say at this stage of trade week is window dressing but I just can't get over clubs, whether it is Port re: JHF or Brissy re: Dunkley coming out and saying "we won't giving up anything of value for that player". The JHF case is a little different as Port would argue he is a distressed asset so they don't need to give up picks + players but coming out and saying Miles Bergman is untouchable is just pathetic.

If we get Madgen, I need to know if it's Mad-gen or Madge-en.

Don't know why but I would love to yell out 'Go Madge'.

Big Neighbours fan back in the day.
I don't know what it is, but in reference to some previous posts I'm sure Gards and McComb will be quietly sitting there with their fingers crossed saying "please please please"

If you want to add a whipping boy to the list, that's him.

Don't really see the point in downgrading.
Teams have a much higher success rate drafting talent at the top end of the draft rather than somewhat speculative picks in the 30's 40's etc. Unless they need points, I don't understand why any team would do this
Downgrading i.e. Brisbane's pick 15 (for the Dunkley deal) for an early and mid second is hardly a 30s to 40s pick

They have to pay him whatever he asks for when he nominates for the draft.
Yep - Luke Ball put a massive first year contract price on his head when he went to draft, knowing only Collingwood would match that demand

PSD is the same deal - Jack Martin had a $1m first year as he was heavily front-loaded

Yep - Luke Ball put a massive first year contract price on his head when he went to draft, knowing only Collingwood would match that demand

PSD is the same deal - Jack Martin had a $1m first year as he was heavily front-loaded
I think the thing here though is that North should be able to match any contract/structure Brisbane put forward. Highly doubt it comes to that anyway

Let him go North. If this kid was one of ours I would say the same. The whole 'will he, won't he go' all season has been disruptive so cut him loose for good.
They should never have drafted him. It was obvious this was going to happen. Should have taken Adelaide's 7,15 & 26 offer. Really bad list management

Unfortunately for Brisbane this year North, Stkilda, West Coast & Essendon all have that kind of cap room to swoop on him and I’m sure Dunks would be aware of that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back