Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

DognBones

Premium Gold
Sep 3, 2007
In a good place when we win
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Roarkes body is up to it, I’d like him to stay. I still think his our best wing option on the list. His probably the best defensive runner outside Bont in the team.
Granted, he has had a lot of bad luck along the journey but a return of 47 games over 8 seasons just doesn't seem like an investment worth keeping. Perhaps it's time to give an opportunity to a fitter, more durable player.

Anja_Nees

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given the attrition that has already occurred, no doubt with a bit more to come, I’d have no issue with Roarke going again. I don’t think you want to lose a quarter of your list in one hit.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given the attrition that has already occurred, no doubt with a bit more to come, I’d have no issue with Roarke going again. I don’t think you want to lose a quarter of your list in one hit.

I wouldn’t mind losing a few more. Roarke and Crozier have offered nothing for 2 years (through injury for roarke of course). Duryea is mostly cooked. McNeil doesn’t bring much. Toby is now just a good vfl level inside mid.

If any of the above are retained it’s probably going to be because we don’t want to have to replace that many players in one year. Crozier is surely gone, and next on my list would be Roarke - that few games in that many years is Jong 2.0. Sad but he can’t be relied on to stay healthy.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Granted, he has had a lot of bad luck along the journey but a return of 47 games over 8 seasons just doesn't seem like an investment worth keeping. Perhaps it's time to give an opportunity to a fitter, more durable player.
Thanks for your service but it is time for both parties to move on. Best ability is availability

huddo#9

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Roarkes body is up to it, I’d like him to stay. I still think his our best wing option on the list. His probably the best defensive runner outside Bont in the team.
Worst call ever.

Drafted via Rookie in 2014. That's 9 pre seasons he has been on the list, granted had a couple of injuries, but he has not shown enough to be given the free ride he has. Any suggestion he should remain on the list at AFL or even VFL level is laughable and is a reflection of the acceptance of mediocrity under Bevo's watch. There has been no bigger list clogger at AFL level in the last 20 years given 9 seasons with the lack of potential

DognBones

Premium Gold
Sep 3, 2007
In a good place when we win
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d much rather Rourke on the list than McLean.
McLean has lost so much pace he simply can’t play AFL football anymore
Looking at any stat you can name, McLean has been a much more productive player than RSmith during the course of their careers. They've both been cruelly hampered by injuries but in terms of their relative worth to the club, you're comparing a player who is playing excellent football at VFL level and who gathered 15 Disposals and 6 Tackles in our recent win against Geelong to a player who is rarely seen on the park. Quite possibly, neither will be with us next year but of the two, McLean is at least worth consideration for another season.

Last edited:

Anja_Nees

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wouldn’t mind losing a few more. Roarke and Crozier have offered nothing for 2 years (through injury for roarke of course). Duryea is mostly cooked. McNeil doesn’t bring much. Toby is now just a good vfl level inside mid.

If any of the above are retained it’s probably going to be because we don’t want to have to replace that many players in one year. Crozier is surely gone, and next on my list would be Roarke - that few games in that many years is Jong 2.0. Sad but he can’t be relied on to stay healthy.
Crozier is done.

I think McLean is too. Whereas Roarke was unavailable the whole year, McLean was available most weeks and spent most of the year in the VFL. He just doesn’t seem to have it anymore.

If Roarke’s prognosis is good I’d probably keep him ahead of McLean. If both go then so be it, but it would be sad.

McNeil is at least young, durable and plays seniors a fair bit. Would at least give him another year.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
No, and I also don't want a whole bunch of fringe types from other clubs either. I'm relieved Henry has nominated elsewhere. We need to hit the draft and get more kids in.
Statistically, kids taken after the first round have a similar return (in terms of total games played) whether they go in the 2nd or 5th round, so I wouldn't mind a couple of late picks this year.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
Crozier is done.

I think McLean is too. Whereas Roarke was unavailable the whole year, McLean was available most weeks and spent most of the year in the VFL. He just doesn’t seem to have it anymore.

If Roarke’s prognosis is good I’d probably keep him ahead of McLean. If both go then so be it, but it would be sad.

McNeil is at least young, durable and plays seniors a fair bit. Would at least give him another year.
We do need an intercept marking type but I'd rather take Hore/El Nour as mature types at the at the draft than either extend Crozier or take Tomlinson (as rumoured).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think McLean should get another year, if he can get a better run with injuries and build up form he’s at minimum great depth for half forward.

Roarke should go, as should Crozier, Dureya. Not convinced on Clarke either…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We do need an intercept marking type but I'd rather take Hore/El Nour as mature types at the at the draft than either extend Crozier or take Tomlinson (as rumoured).

There will be better options available late than Tomlinson.

I would only take Tomlinson for a pick upgrade for us. He won’t improve us in any way and will take up valuable cap space.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Re: Roarke Smith...

He's had 9 years guys.

Time to move on

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is McLean fit enough to play wing? I think our wings are a mess at the moment. Poulter and Baker have potential but look like they are not ready to be premiership wingers. Sam Simpson wil/already been delisted by Geelong he would be an upgrade on those two. McLean and Rourke for wing? If they can stay fit.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
So it begins

1694498907505.png

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is McLean fit enough to play wing? I think our wings are a mess at the moment. Poulter and Baker have potential but look like they are not ready to be premiership wingers. Sam Simpson wil/already been delisted by Geelong he would be an upgrade on those two. McLean and Rourke for wing? If they can stay fit.
He's slow and not great overhead. Would not be a good wing.

Both Poulter and Baker have upside and can't be discounted. They aren't A graders, but neither were premiership players like Roberts, Hamling, and Cordy.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
I'm not doing that trade, but it actually wouldn't be too far off. Just needs a tweak or two, like a future first coming our way and us sending something back.

Not gonna happen though.
I also wouldn’t be doing it

Remove this Banner Ad