Strategy Trade and List Management thread 2.(...the waiting for the hammer to fall edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How about this
Dogs trade first round pick for gold coast 2-3 second rounders.
Means we can draft two or three KPP

Even if they end up ok those tall guys realistically won't be much value for 3-4 yrs. The time to draft talls that could help us next year was three or four years ago.

How about this
Dogs trade first round pick for gold coast 2-3 second rounders.
Means we can draft two or three KPP
I'd prefer to trade up if we're gonna go that way. Try and get someone like McGrath.

I've been reading a bit of what some of the decent Collingwood supporters are saying about Cloke and how he might or might not fit us. This guy is a well respected contributor and seems to sum up pretty well the common view about Travis (I asked for his views on what Travis could and couldn't do and he gave me permission to quote him on here):

That's a fantastic post, and well articulated .
Travis epitomises what a confidence player is .
You could honestly write a thesis on the pros and cons of acquiring Travis Cloke .

Can people just sit down and take a few deep breaths .
Jake Stringer is just going through what a vast majority of young players go through, and that's a loss of confidence . The energy and effort levels haven't been what's required and hence he's been dropped . Some of the insatiable appetite for B/S by some is embarrassing to be honest .

That's a fantastic post, and well articulated .
Travis epitomises what a confidence player is .
You could honestly write a thesis on the pros and cons of acquiring Travis Cloke .
Yep - there certainly are some decent guys with good footy brains on the Pies board. Scodog10 is one of a number who I've had good discussions with this season.

What are your thoughts Paul...if we could get Travis for the right price (and that's a whole other debate isn't it?) would you do it, or do we hold out until we get a younger player who is a better fit (and pay the earth for them, if you can ever find one that's gettable)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if they end up ok those tall guys realistically won't be much value for 3-4 yrs. The time to draft talls that could help us next year was three or four years ago.

There is never a perfect time to draft talls and the "it takes 2-3 years / time argument is not a valid reason to focus on immediate fixes". The reality is the perfect fixes don't come cheap and there isn't ever enough of them! The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now!

There are plenty of examples of first-year players having a small, but useful impact. If we're deficient in an area we need to find that 1/10 draftee who performs at AFL level - we just don't know until they play whether they're up to it.

Ben Lennon. Was on a lot of peoples radars in his draft year (I think it was Dannnnnnnnnn who was really keen on him). Former first rounder, apparently he'll be gettable this trade period.

I think he'd be decent for our second pick.

Discuss.

Can people just sit down and take a few deep breaths .
Jake Stringer is just going through what a vast majority of young players go through, and that's a loss of confidence . The energy and effort levels haven't been what's required and hence he's been dropped . Some of the insatiable appetite for B/S by some is embarrassing to be honest .

Amen.

Ben Lennon. Was on a lot of peoples radars in his draft year (I think it was Dannnnnnnnnn who was really keen on him). Former first rounder, apparently he'll be gettable this trade period.

I think he'd be decent for our second pick.

Discuss.
Love his talent but he doesn't appear to be anywhere near it mentally unfortunately. Based on both what I've heard and seen.

I do think Hardwick has made some stupid calls in developing him and that he has a lot more talent than he has shown, but I'm not sure he'd pass a character test. Not a call I can make definitively though.

Thankfully I don't make posts with the intention of earning your precious “likes”. It wasnt humour, irony or sarcasm that I was aiming for; I was merely trying to bait a response from a whiney little poster such as yourself. It appears I succeeded. Thanks.
To be fair the lack of daily Nahas suggestion from you makes me sad at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back