Women's Footy Trade and Poach period

Remove this Banner Ad

Have absolutely no problem with those losses personally. Caulfield is 30yo - not a bad player but would be taking away opportunities from younger girls coming through with higher ceilings. Atkins is younger at 26yo but I'd take all of Sharp, Duffy and O'Sullivan over her in our forward line - we were never going to keep everyone. Green is disappointing given we carried her on our list for 3 years and she was only fit to play 3 games. Expected her to return the favour but maybe she was on our delist pile because of her continual injuries?

Does Guard count as one of the 8?

As she was part of the West Coast's academy/
She would as she’s been on our list, therefore technically a poached Freo player.

Weags also got Emma Swanson from GWS. A fair signing. Their vice-captain and one of their original marquees.

Last edited:
Does Guard count as one of the 8?

As she was part of the West Coast's academy/
Also Laurie was part of their academy. Freo supporter growing up but has some loyalty to WC because of the Academy thing. Is apparently really torn as she has significant loyalties to both camps and feels whichever way she goes she’ll be letting people down.

Brisbane have lost their captain and vice-captain to the Suns, and of course Frederick-Traub to as unyet named Melb team, but the expectation is Richmond.

Two weeks after winning Captain of the Year, Bri Davey of Carlton has requested a trade to Collingwood. I knew Erin Phillips should have won that - reckon it’s pretty rude to be voted Captain OTY, then turn around and walk out on your club.

Third one to do so - Bulldogs, Carlton and Brisbane have all lost their captains now. Tough for the fans and the rest of the players IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bye bye Parris Laurie. Signed a two year deal with the weags.

https://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2019-04-16/west-coast-signs-triple-threat

Also former Docker (2017/18) and Bulldog (2019) Belinda Smith, and Maddy Collier from GWS (2017-19).

So with 2 days left of the sign and poach period we’re all still none-the-wiser on Kellie Gibson. Who thinks she’s gone and who thinks she’ll stay?

Personally I think the weags are waiting till Thursday afternoon to unveil their second marquee signing, and she’s out the door. Pray that I’m wrong...

Last edited:
Bye bye Parris Laurie. Signed a two year deal with the weags.

https://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2019-04-16/west-coast-signs-triple-threat

Also former Docker (2017/18) and Bulldog (2019) Belinda Smith, and Maddy Collier from GWS (2017-19).

So with 2 days left of the sign and poach period we’re all still none-the-wiser on Kellie Gibson. Who thinks she’s gone and who thinks she’ll stay?

Personally I think the weags are waiting till Thursday afternoon to unveil their second marquee signing, and she’s out the door. Pray that I’m wrong...
Ah, suppose I should all the posts before posting myself!

What you say makes sense, announcing a high profile player is good way to end the sign-up period. Especially when there is no deadline to negotiate a trade.

But so long as there is no news there is still hope.

Even if Gibson is gone, I reckon we would have to be happy with the sign-up period. Keeping 18 out of team -- and all of the leadership group -- is a strong effort. Given the tiered pay arrangements, we were always going to at least one marquee-level player. It may end up being two, but most of our core group has stayed.

I reckon WCE may be a little disappointed they couldn't entice any of the really big name West Aussie players back as a marquee player.

We could lose every one of our unsigned players and we'd be fine. Irrespective of losing Laurie and Janz perhaps staying we still need to find a decent ruck.

C'mon Bowers, convince King to come and play alongside you.

edit- just realised she already re-signed with North. Well at least she didn't go to WC I suppose.

Last edited:
Ah, suppose I should all the posts before posting myself!

What you say makes sense, announcing a high profile player is good way to end the sign-up period. Especially when there is no deadline to negotiate a trade.

But so long as there is no news there is still hope.

Even if Gibson is gone, I reckon we would have to be happy with the sign-up period. Keeping 18 out of team -- and all of the leadership group -- is a strong effort. Given the tiered pay arrangements, we were always going to at least one marquee-level player. It may end up being two, but most of our core group has stayed.

I reckon WCE may be a little disappointed they couldn't entice any of the really big name West Aussie players back as a marquee player.

They’ve got 6 of ours and have been confident all along they’d get all 8. Dana Hooker by FAR their biggest name, but Emma Swanson was a GWS marquee player, so that’s a decent get. But yeah they really wanted Chelsea Randall and Emma King. Interesting Randall only signed for one year, not two. King signed for two.

Sabrina Traub just signed for 2 years with Richmond.

Disappointed by Laurie, thought she was a Docker supporter from the get go
Spoke to her brother today who’s a Freo supporter. I had assumed Parris was too, but he told me she has always been a Dirty Bird supporter and this is a bit of a dream come true for her. She did give it a lot of thought considering Freo first drafted her and gave her her first opportunity, but in the end she decided that seeing she’d been in their development group for a couple of years, she felt drawn back. Also said that the women’s development program there is superior to ours, and she has a shot at a leadership position, which, being captain of Claremont, she’s keen to have that opportunity. Still sucks however. 👎🏼

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back