Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Draft picks? Free agency compensation?
We only compete with West Coast in the draft and what are they expected to do if we take their draft picks? They can't build a team from 8 players...

We can take free agents if we want still, we may even do that but right now focusing on retention

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
What a rollercoaster...

Bowers, Donnellan, Antonio, Gooch, O'Sullivan - Whoop!
Hooker - Nooooooooooooooooooo!
Miller, Houghton, Sharp, Duffy, Williams, Bresland, Seth,... - F**k yes!

Please can we have Gibson and Green as well? Wouldn't mind Janz, Laurie and Caulfield but not going to lose sleep if we don't. The rest, meh. We probably need to find a more dominant ruck to be competitive against the best teams anyway - any 200cm basketballers we can recruit?

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
We only compete with West Coast in the draft and what are they expected to do if we take their draft picks? They can't build a team from 8 players...

We can take free agents if we want still, we may even do that but right now focusing on retention
Don't forget they can still get 4 players from other teams. There are quite a few West Aussies who aren't necessarily 'superstars', but who get regular games, scattered through the comp. Emma King still hasn't signed with North, but I reckon they're still pursuing her hard. There's Renee Forth from Adelaide, Arianna Clarke and McKenzie Dowrick at Brisbane, Emma Swanson at GWS. I know 4 isn't a lot, but there are still players out there.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Don't forget they can still get 4 players from other teams. There are quite a few West Aussies who aren't necessarily 'superstars', but who get regular games, scattered through the comp. Emma King still hasn't signed with North, but I reckon they're still pursuing her hard. There's Renee Forth from Adelaide, Arianna Clarke and McKenzie Dowrick at Brisbane, Emma Swanson at GWS. I know 4 isn't a lot, but there are still players out there.
quite a few of those West Aussies who moved over have started lives over there tho, have to understand it will be harder to bring them back over.

In reality its a bad position for both teams, both the poacher and poached but a necessity for growth of the game

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Read somewhere that King will be at the Roos.

Shame because we really lacked in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
2EFA4142-6FC1-4CB5-978B-384AA933AB38.jpeg

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reading the tea leaves a bit, maybe Hooker exploring the Vic options between seasons last year was with a thought to the WC entering in T20. Thinking it may ease the transition.

More tea leaf reading on Gibson switching to Freo, thinking"I'll be switching to a WA team anyway, so better sooner rather than later".

I was wondering whether Hooker would be the first WC player I'd have mixed feelings about, but seeing that photo seems to confirm not.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Richmond have pinched a player from each of GWS (Phoebe Monaghan), Collingwood (Ilish Ross) and Melbourne (Maddy Brancatisano). Takes their list to 4, including Katie Brennan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back