Trade/Delist 2012. The tough year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah well might go fishing for 6 months. :( At least Jeremias has the courtesy to engage in constructive debate.

I hoped and assumed you were joking with your fanciful trades. Good God.
Hmm... nah go on. Let's just trade them all for draft picks, we will get some awesome young talent. Except for Ellard, but only cos Guns is bigger than I am.
no....just no to it all

Malthouse will ride into town with Cloke and win us a premiership, right? :rolleyes:

Our list ain't good enough to win us a flag, nor sustain us for the next decade. Improving our list through stronger drafting position is an option.

If you can do better, post some suggestions of your own for ridicule. Or are the deals for Caddy, Stevens and Toy already inked and waiting for the trade period?

Trade ideas: Curnow and our 3rd round pick for Geelong's 2nd round pick. Rationale: According to BF rumour, Ed wants to return to the peninsula. Geelong get a ready-made 23yo small to replace the Woj.

Geelong have a terrific replacement for Wojo in Murdoch and I suspect there may be a few shoulda-got-Murdoch-not-Bootsma moans on the way as their draft class develops. Not me, I love Boots, but Murdoch runs like a race horse and kicks like a mule.

Also have to say that Geelong would swap Mummy for Duncan in a heartbeat, but Duncan is decnt compensation that's for sure. Hope we will say the same about Paddy Mac with regards to Sauce in years to come.

And lastly good on you Azul for throwing ideas out there, even if they are mostly a bit lateral for mine. Certainly sparked some chit chat.:thumbsu:

Our list ain't good enough to win us a flag, nor sustain us for the next decade. Improving our list through stronger drafting position is an option.
I thought it was the coaching that was the problem with Ratten likely to be sacked...

Your trades would never happen. Just more of the package average players for a good pick or a gun suggestions we always get.

Gibbs, Kreuzer, Yarran, Murphy, Robinson, Henderson, Watson, Walker, Laidler, Garlett, etc. aren't in the wrong age bracket to sustain our list.

I guess it's best to get on the Richmond bandwagon with whinging Hardwick because they have Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin, Grigg, Conca, Rance, Ellis, Maric and Vickery. :rolleyes:

I don't want to trade Lucas who will be a player, but I would consider it if we could get a defender who can play on medium and small forwards.

I thought it was the coaching that was the problem with Ratten likely to be sacked...
Good for you. Mick Malthouse and Cameron's brother would only take us so far. We still haven't beaten Hawthorn in about 7 years.
Just more of the package average players for a good pick or a gun suggestions we always get.

Really? I thought Curnow and Tuohy were decent bait to push us into a higher round, when packaged with a pick. I don't want to lose them but our draft looks healthier if we trade into the 2nd round. Particularly if we use our first or second pick on one of the homesick Victorians everyone seems to rave on about.

I don't want to trade Lucas who will be a player, but I would consider it if we could get a defender who can play on medium and small forwards.
Well with Lucas, we're not going to get a fair return on the pick 12 we paid for him.

The General,

If you want to package a number of average players and a good player for a high pick, this is the year to do it. GWS' brains trust apparently want about 10 experienced players, and the Giants will probably be collecting 2 high first rounders for the 17 year olds. If Carlton packaged a couple of decent players and their first round pick, GWS might see that as better value for a 17 year old than, say, Melbourne's #4 pick, if they already have #1 and #2 from a trade with GC.

Azul,

Most of the chatter about "homesick Victorians" is just wishful thinking by fans who dont like GWS or GC. There might be two of them, in total.

That said, if you're willing to make a serious offer to a player who isnt getting games at GWS or Gold Coast, they might be willing to move.

What would you expect for one of Casboult or Hampson?

With Kosi just about gone we need the ruck/forward depth and either of these guys would walk into his spot next year I think.

What would you expect for one of Casboult or Hampson?

With Kosi just about gone we need the ruck/forward depth and either of these guys would walk into his spot next year I think.
Ya think? I certainly agree poor old Kosi looks cooked.

Yeah well might go fishing for 6 months. :( At least Jeremias has the courtesy to engage in constructive debate.
Sorry Azul, I was just being facetious, wasn't meaning to have a go at you.

I completely agree that we may get something good if we trade out a few players, and I think we do have a couple of options. I think, though, particularly the first idea might not be a good one simply because we need at least one of Warnock and Casboult to stay. Trade them both out and an ijury gives us a big problem.
Secondly, I tend to think that trading away players for late second or third round picks isn't much good. You lose a mature bodied player and draft someone who needs development, and won't necessarily be as good even.

Having said that, One of Warnock and Hampson might net us a good deal, as might someone like Curnow, but I doubt it. We need to be packaging things up to get early second round or late first round picks though. What we need is quality, not more potential.

Geelong have a terrific replacement for Wojo in Murdoch and I suspect there may be a few shoulda-got-Murdoch-not-Bootsma moans on the way as their draft class develops. Not me, I love Boots, but Murdoch runs like a race horse and kicks like a mule.

Don't worry about Bootsma as we're more likely to get stuck into the Rowe before Murdoch pick.
Many already have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Lucas rumoured to return to perth, what about koby stevens for kane lucas both plaeyers struggling to break into there side

Kane Lucas rumoured to return to perth, what about koby stevens for kane lucas both plaeyers struggling to break into there side

Rumours are dirty dk and i doubt you are going to get genuine replies to a trade proposal like that.

We had no impact over the off season last year
Picked up Bootsma who is a long term prospect 4 year kind of development
Made no meaningful trades

This off season we need:
A draftee who can make an immediate impact
A free agency player (Cloke or Goddard)
A best 22 player from a trade or perhaps rookie draft

Agreed! The last few drafts have been good in a development sense 2015-16 but in the immediate side of things we haven't had a pick to really come on and make a stamp on the game, i thought lucas was going to be that player n hopefully next year he his... but yes we need a right now.

As Ian Turpie used to say.. Oliver Wines... COME ON DOWN!!!!!!

Who do we have at carlton to install that sort of aggression into someone other than robbo?
Paddy. Won't that stare send shivers up the spine?

MCCARTHY%20Patrick.jpg

Maybe it's the beard. Every hard man needs a beard. :rolleyes:

(Of course if he grew that hair out, it could make an awesome afro!)

Paddy. Won't that stare send shivers up the spine?

MCCARTHY%20Patrick.jpg

Maybe it's the beard. Every hard man needs a beard. :rolleyes:

(Of course if he grew that hair out, it could make an awesome afro!)
s**t... Azul is channeling Starchamber...

The club should trade ellard:(
MC has made it clear that there is no love for him, but he continually forces his way into the team.
The man needs/deserves a chance to be a best 22 player week in week out and i think freo's that place.

People seem to be forgetting just how bullish we were about the strength of our list at the end of last year, and the club certainly was, delisting only two players, both of whom hat the currency to get gigs at other clubs, albeit for no return to us.

One thing that this cursed season has done is allow a fairly decent evaluation of the list. I agree we need to be active in trade week and then with the boning knife. Luring Goddard or Cloke for free would be a good start. Taking a leaf out of the Hawks trading manual would also be advisable. They seem to identify a target and get them, and there have been no better trades in recent years than Gibson, Burgoyne and now Gunston. Our get of Laidler was excellent and in that vein. More please.

Lucas is contracted and we would want a good player in exchange.

I think we should trade Warnock if we can get a decent return.

Trade ideas:
  1. Warnock, Casboult, our 2nd pick for Melbourne's 1st pick. Rationale: we get a top 5 pick. Melbourne get a replacement for Jamar and a partner for Clarke. Warnock as 1st ruck with Levi relieving would work.

Sorry but there is no way in hell Melbourne would trade Warnock, Casboult and a 2nd rd selection for #3 or #4 .......... Warnock is a great ruck prospect, but unfortunately hasn't cemented his place in the side. We would be lucky to get a mid to late 1st rd selection (#15-#20 this year) for him ATM, with opposition supporters suggesting he has lost value since we traded iirc #24 for him. Casboult is another great tall prospect, but it was only 2 months ago that he hadn't played a game and people were talking about either keeping him on the Rookie list or delisting him.

Basically #15 + a Rookie + a 2nd rd selection does not = a top 5 pick.

No to Cloke, he is finished and would cost too much, for that sort of $ i would rather Tippett.

We have to look at realistic options, what do we lack and what do we need??

A key fwd is a no brainer, but they dont grow on trees. What about someone like Cam Pederson from North is big, can take a mark and proved last year he has ability is just he cant break into a side that has Drew Petrie as its power fwd.

Are there anyother mature aged players in the VFL, WAFL, SANFL who could come in and make a difference?? A quick look at WAFL website Ben Saunders leading the goal kicking avg 2.5 goals a game, Michael Wundke in SANFL avg 3.1 pg, Galea & Little in the VFL

As a very last resort perhaps someone like Monfries could fill a hole and be a lead up fwd, wouldn’t give up much for him.. Also a new coach might actually have faith in Thornton playing as the 2nd fwd and give him a chance..

Do we need another classy outside midfielder?? When Simpson went down we battled in this area so perhapd Xavier Ellis might be a good get, has silky skills and is quick but isn’t a regular in the Hawks team.

Who to put up?? I would seriously look at maybe trading Garlett to a club who is lacking a small fwd, we have Betts & Arnfield to play this role. We could trade Hampson or Warnock, but I am not sure there are many clubs in the market for a ruckmen now the norm seems to be playing with only 1. Lucas would still have currency as everyone besides Ratten seems to rate him. Bower, would anyone be that stupid.. Thornton, could be an option for a GWS or a GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back