AFLW Trade, Draft and list changes

Remove this Banner Ad

The only concern for me is that Bacon, is not a natural footballer. She has other attributes you would look for except for kicking. As mentioned her weakness is kicking & that to me is something most of our players need to improve in. So hopefully she can learn in the professional environment that she is coming into. Ford I like the look of especially since we picked her up with pick 43.
Yeah, it's wait and watch. We have seen athletes before not transition into AFLW where you still need footy skills, now more than ever. All Issy's coaches have seen her develop really quick though, so that's promising.

Conti the only one that runs with ball in hand tho , I think we’ve improved our list and addressed areas that set us back . Marking target s a bit of a worry if g train doesnt come on and kb only 1-2 seasons left . Seymour up forward could be a go , or even Monty while poppy rucks
Lynch does, Cox tries, Yassir hasn't really had to much, but sometimes gets caught doing it.

Both Hicks and dallaway will provide improved support for mon in the midfield , that was def the plan , plus some rotations with existing players sheerin , lavey et al
Maybe Hicks is more to allow Sheerin into the Mids I'd suggest

I’m wondering if they think Ryan will actually get on the park this season and that’s why they went with Bacon rather than another inside mid?

I was about to mention Ryan. Bringing Ryan and Sheerin into the mid rotation is already a big change and 1 which I think we will make. I like the look of the 2 new girls on the back of the girls we signed in the trade period. We signed Steph Williams to add some speed to our forward line (along with Yassir) and that didn't work out. Ford looks like she can do that. Having her speed and pressure in the forward line would be good, as we do struggle to mark but we bring the ball to ground.

I think we got our positional lineups wrong last year, we looked a lot better in the final game with both Shevlin and Sheerin further up the ground which I hope we continue with. Replacing 1 of them in the backline with Bacon would be a good move IMO. We also have Tessa Lavey coming back into the fold for next year, and she will bring more midfield depth and speed / run and carry through the midfield.

Overall I'm happy with the shortcomings that have been addressed in the off-season and hoping (like you) that Ryan gets a crack at it this year. Her 1st 2 years must have been very frustrating for her.

Isabel Bacon (pick No.13), Mackenzie Ford (pick No.43)

Richmond opted to draft powerful midfielder Isabel Bacon with its first selection of the night, adding support for the likes of Monique Conti, Grace Egan, and Ellie McKenzie through the middle of the ground.
Standing at 172cm, Bacon averaged 13.2 disposals across her 11 games with the Sandringham Dragons this year.

Mackenzie Ford is another addition through the middle of the ground, able to play both inside or outside the contest.
She is a hard-working two-way runner out of Kingborough in Tasmania, averaging 13.6 disposals across her 13 games with the Tassie Devils this year.

I was about to mention Ryan. Bringing Ryan and Sheerin into the mid rotation is already a big change and 1 which I think we will make. I like the look of the 2 new girls on the back of the girls we signed in the trade period. We signed Steph Williams to add some speed to our forward line (along with Yassir) and that didn't work out. Ford looks like she can do that. Having her speed and pressure in the forward line would be good, as we do struggle to mark but we bring the ball to ground.

I think we got our positional lineups wrong last year, we looked a lot better in the final game with both Shevlin and Sheerin further up the ground which I hope we continue with. Replacing 1 of them in the backline with Bacon would be a good move IMO. We also have Tessa Lavey coming back into the fold for next year, and she will bring more midfield depth and speed / run and carry through the midfield.

Overall I'm happy with the shortcomings that have been addressed in the off-season and hoping (like you) that Ryan gets a crack at it this year. Her 1st 2 years must have been very frustrating for her.

agree, Lavey returning and Ryan (fingers and toes crossed) having much better luck will improve the side next year.

looking good so far.

I believe that our plan going forward is for Sheeran to move into the midfield group in 2024. We haven't prioritised a contested mid in trade and draft and the opportunity was there to grab one, and instead we opt for a player in Bacon that has not had the body of work to be that type of player. She averaged 13.2 disposals, whereas e.g Kavanagh was double that with 26. Ellie McKenzie when at Knights, when Fitzgerald was the contested mid there, Ellie averaged 15.9 but for all her other attributes stood out as a likely no.1

I do like that Isabel has the ability to hoist the ball a long way, and has a powerful leg, nice evasion and good hands and at pick 13 you would want her to be in your best 21, so needs to play outside role flank/wing while she develops her contested game.

Charley Ryan is another piece of the puzzle to place, is talented and it will be almost like having another high draft pick this year come in which is a plus. I Guess we are going to have to wait until preseason to see how it all pans out.

Q&A: Isabel Bacon (Sandringham Dragons)​

SANDRINGHAM Dragons top-ager Isabel Bacon is a rising AFLW Draft prospect and among the most athletic players in the pool.
We spoke to the first-year talent at the recent AFLW Draft Combine event to find out her thoughts on her 2023 season, and get to know the midfielder/defender a little bit more.

Q: Isabel, how did you rate your 2023 season?

IB:
It’s been a great year. First of many, first time in the Coates Talent League program, so it was great to play with the Sandy girls and play with Vic Metro.

What is your sporting background?

IB:
I played basketball from Year 6 to last year, and I’ve done athletics and cross country and netball, so a pretty sporty background.

What made you transition to footy?

IB:
Probably from a young age, the friends and trying a new sport, but now the physicality and taking my game to the next step.

What do you consider to be your strengths and improvements?

IB:
My strengths would be speed and physicality and attack on ball. My weaknesses would be decision making and kicking.

How was it this year being able to play for Vic Metro?

IB:
It was just a pinching moment, just a dream come true. Getting to know other girls and getting to play with other players was just a great experience for me.

How did it compare to where you wanted it to be from the start of the year?

IB:
At the start of the year I had no clue I’d end up in this position. I didn’t think I was going to be able to play for Vic Metro. It’s such a great opportunity and I’m so happy.

Did you watch much footy growing up?

IB:
Watched a lot. Pretty much all my weekend is footy, especially now women’s a lot more than the men’s just trying to get to every single game.

Which AFL/W team do you support?

IB:
I support the Sydney Swans.

Which players do you look up to or mould your game on?

IB:
Definitely Monique Conti, Jas Fleming and Soph Hurley.

Where do you feel you play your best footy?

IB:
I think mid but also rotating to half-back.

What role have you played the most in this year?

IB:
My first game was down at half-back, that was my first time ever playing that position, but most of my game is in mid.

Were you looking to nominate state or national?

IB:
I think I’m going to nominate state.

so that settles it, she's a MIDFIELDER.

interesting........majority of players with a high PPR score were drafted.

The PPR is formulated looking at all the indoor tests conducted at the AFLW Draft Combine, including standing and running vertical jumps, 20m sprint and agility test. Each athlete’s score is then rated as either ‘Elite’, ‘Excellent’, ‘Very Good’, ‘Good’, ‘Average’ or ‘Growth area’, and then calculated to form a total out of 100.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 123936.png

SYDNEY Swans Academy top-ager Holly Cooper was statistically the top athlete at the AFLW Draft Combine, scoring a near-perfect performance across the indoor athletic tests. Of the 70 athletes who tested, Cooper scored an 95 physical performance rating (PPR), to be the top ranked talent across the board for the jumps, sprint and agility testing.

Cooper was dominant across the board, and compared to all of the Draft Combine invitees from across the country, scored ‘elite’ in her standing and running vertical jumps and her 20m sprint, while also recording an ‘excellent’ in her agility test.

The Swans Academy member narrowly pipped Western Jets tall Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, who scored an outstanding 93. Like Cooper, she scored elite on her standing vertical jump and 20m sprint, as well as her running vertical off her right foot. Weston-Turner’s running vertical jump off her left foot was ‘excellent’ with her agility test rated ‘very good’.

Rounding out the podium of performers was Gippsland Power defender Amber Schutte who finished with a PPR score of 90, off the back of an elite standing jump and 20m sprint, excellent running jumps and a very good agility score.

Not far behind were AFLW Academy members and speedy midfielders, Amy Gaylor and Mikayla Williamson who both finished with a score of 88. Gaylor’s standing vertical jump and running vertical jump off her preferred left were both elite, as was her 20m sprint. Williamson’s agility test and standing vertical jump were elite, with the rest being excellent.

The first South Australian appears in the rankings at equal sixth, with South Adelaide’s Alissa Brook joining Vic Metro best and fairest and Eastern Ranges talent Laura Stone on 86. Stone’s Ranges and Metro teammate Georgia Stubs snuck in eighth with a score of 83, while four players recorded 81 to round out equal ninth.

Three Victorians in Tamara Henry, Jemma Rigoni and Meg Robertson achieved that feat, alongside the top ranked Queenslander, Evie Long. As with any count, once outside the top 10, large groups of players recorded the same score.

Among the next group of 79 scorers were the top Tasmanian in Mackenzie Ford, and West Australian duo, Georgie Cleaver and Ella Slocombe. Sandringham Dragons’ Isabel Bacon, GIANTS Academy members Cleo Buttifant and Sophia de Castella, and Eastern Ranges forward Alyssia Pisano were the others to hit those heights.

The top ranked Northern Territory talent was just behind in Annabel Kievit (76) alongside the likes of Shineah Goody, Mylee Leitch, Bryde O’Rourke and Indiana Williams. Oakleigh Chargers’ Lucy Cronin (74) also rated highly with trio Chloe Adams, Keely Fullerton and Kayley Kavanagh all on 71.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 123844.png

Last edited:
Among the next group of 79 scorers were the top Tasmanian in Mackenzie Ford, and West Australian duo, Georgie Cleaver and Ella Slocombe. Sandringham Dragons’ Isabel Bacon, GIANTS Academy members Cleo Buttifant and Sophia de Castella, and Eastern Ranges forward Alyssia Pisano were the others to hit those heights.

So our pair Mackenzie Ford and Isabel Bacon sit just outside the Top 10 along with draftees Georgia Cleaver, Ella Slocombe, Cleo Buttifant and Victorian's Alyssia Pisano.

Pretty impressive group not inside the top 10. All have great highlights.

As a percentile the score is relative to the performance of each year's quota. Would be interesting if not a subset to see how they stack up against all the previous year's drafts. I presume all would have recorded results from the same tests.

So our pair Mackenzie Ford and Isabel Bacon sit just outside the Top 10 along with draftees Georgia Cleaver, Ella Slocombe, Cleo Buttifant and Victorian's Alyssia Pisano.

As a percentile the score is relative to the performance of each year's quota. Would be interesting if not a subset to see how they stack up against all the previous year's drafts. I presume all would have recorded results from the same tests.

yeah it's interesting.......this year's combine.

2KM TIME TRIAL
#1 Mikayla Williamson (Dandenong Stingrays) 7:09 minutes (best ever)
#2 Bianca Lyne (Dandenong Stingrays) 7:21 minutes (4th best of all time)
#3 Jasmyn Thompson (Tasmania Devils) 7:23 minutes (5th best of all time)

20M SPRINT
#1 Laura Stone (Eastern Ranges) 3.080 seconds (2nd best of all time)
#2 Georgia Stubs (Eastern Ranges) 3.122 seconds (3rd best of all time)
#3 Amber Schutte (Gippsland Power) 3.125 seconds (in the top 10 of all time)
#4 Isabel Bacon (Sandringham Dragons) 3.164 seconds (in the top 10 of all time)

so Issy is really quick............ i mean really, really quick.:rocket::rocket::rocket:

and it's Bacon's 1st year playing elite footy, didn't play last year (Basketball up until last year)

cracked the Vic Metro team, won Coaches award.

won Sandringham Dragons B&F.

ALL IN HER 1ST YEAR!!!!!!!

Our biggest issue was pace through the midfield IMO and I think we’ve addressed that adequately with our 5 additions. With the draftees, I don’t think it’ll take them long to adapt to AFLW footy.

I’m excited to see how it all goes down next season. Hoping one of them will contend for the rising star award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The eye test watching the girls coming through now is that the improvement in the level of talent coming into the top leagues is staggering. I'm not surprised that the records are tumbling and also going deeper than with previous years which were just a few standout athletes. It backs up what you are seeing happen watching them on the playing field.

Isabels story is pretty amazing about the only thing she didn't achieve was an All Australian jumper, that was probably a stretch for someone in their first year, however don't underestimate the winning of the Vic Metro Coaches award. This means a lot in how driven she is. I think we've got a good one that is going to be all in. Ferg's gonna love her.

Isabel Bacon – Mid-Def, Vic Metro, 172cm
Nominated: Victoria
U18 stats: 11.3 disposals, 2.7 marks, 4.3 tackles, 2.3 rebound 50s – three games

While Isabel Bacon doesn’t quite have the skill set battened down yet, what is so impressive about her game is her physicality and mongrel around the contest, for lack of a better term. She’s a strong-bodied midfielder who has seen time off the half-back line.

Bacon has played numerous sports through her juniors, so her craft and knowledge of the game will take time to develop. Still, in just one season, she has proven to be an outstanding tackler, averaging over seven tackles per game for the Sandringham Dragons this year, backed up with 4.3 tackles per game in all three games for Vic Metro in the championships.

Her athletic traits make her stand out, and I believe that given the right team, she can develop and flourish into more than just a physical enforcer-type of player.

Last edited:

Good signs. Performance in athletic metrics is more important right now in AFLW than AFL in my opinion. That’s what makes clubs like Brisbane so good.

Skills are important, but what I want to see is an improvement in our overall athletic profile. Sounds like Ford and Bacon performed decently at the Combine, so they’re a welcome addition.

Good signs. Performance in athletic metrics is more important right now in AFLW than AFL in my opinion. That’s what makes clubs like Brisbane so good.
You are bang on Lsta. Thats exactly why they are so good at identifying who they target and how they fit in to play that fast paced attractive footy they are known for, and why they've been so successful. If you are going to follow any teams list build strategy its the Lions.

I think Isabel Bacon was locked in for our first pick, so they got who they wanted. I'm just hoping leaving Mikayla Williamson on the board wasn't a mistake. As she was rated very highly by the people that watch these girls play footy. Only time will tell, but I do like the highlights of both girls we drafted. Hopefully there is lots of upside to both the girls we drafted.

yeah it's interesting.......this year's combine.

2KM TIME TRIAL
#1 Mikayla Williamson (Dandenong Stingrays) 7:09 minutes (best ever)
#2 Bianca Lyne (Dandenong Stingrays) 7:21 minutes (4th best of all time)
#3 Jasmyn Thompson (Tasmania Devils) 7:23 minutes (5th best of all time)

20M SPRINT
#1 Laura Stone (Eastern Ranges) 3.080 seconds (2nd best of all time)
#2 Georgia Stubs (Eastern Ranges) 3.122 seconds (3rd best of all time)
#3 Amber Schutte (Gippsland Power) 3.125 seconds (in the top 10 of all time)

so Issy is really quick............ i mean really, really quick.:rocket::rocket::rocket:

and it's Bacon's 1st year playing elite footy, didn't play last year (Basketball up until last year)

cracked the Vic Metro team, won Coaches award.

won Sandringham Dragons B&F.

ALL IN HER 1ST YEAR!!!!!!!
Looks to have a talent , will take a season or two to fill out , with the comp improving less u18 are coming in hitting the ground running , wouldn’t surprise at all if ford debut first , bigger body , and has traits we need

I think Isabel Bacon was locked in for our first pick, so they got who they wanted. I'm just hoping leaving Mikayla Williamson on the board wasn't a mistake. As she was rated very highly by the people that watch these girls play footy. Only time will tell, but I do like the highlights of both girls we drafted. Hopefully there is lots of upside to both the girls we drafted.

yeah, i agree........but there must be something there that she was only picked at 17. (and Slocombe at 26)
i don't know what because I'm not a recruiter.

I've asked the question to Pie 4 Life who watches nearly all the U/18 games and writes for Rookie Me Central:
why do some highly rated girls slide or don't get drafted at all......he said:

"AFL/ AFLW recruiters, weigh up numbers against watching the games, current impact against potential, etc. and it's why recruiters are paid the big bucks."

in respect to why we chose Bacon v Williamson or Slocombe or any others after our pick, we might see greater potential in Bacon who is far from a finished player versus the others who have been in the system all the way thru.

we believe that in the long run, in our system they will be better players, better people.
the pre-draft interviews, watching for certain traits etc, which we're not aware of, they all play a big part behind the scenes.

there was a player, Tara Slender, in Stella Reid and Emillia Yassirs draft year, who was rated top 5, but slide to 16.
didn't play a game and retired because she didn't want to put in the effort required to be a AFLW player, which is fair enough for a young kid, who'll change their mind heaps more times until they find what makes them happy.

most times it's not just recruiting a player but recruiting a person too.
that's what makes the whole process harder than we think.

at RFC we've had our busts in AFL and AFLW drafts, but it happens at every club.
i personally would have picked Williamson or Slocombe, but Bacon is who we picked and Bacon is who we've got.

i have to trust our process even when we draft wrong, annoying as that is......it happens.

yeah, i agree........but there must be something there that she was only picked at 17. (and Slocombe at 26)

I've asked the question to Pie 4 Life who watches nearly all the U/18 games and writes for Rookie Me Central:

"AFL/ AFLW recruiters, weigh up numbers against watching the games, current impact against potential, etc. and it's why recruiters are paid the big bucks."

in respect to why we chose Bacon v Williamson or Slocombe or any others after our pick, we might see greater potential in Bacon who is far from a finished player versus the others who have been in the system all the way thru.

we believe that in the long run, in our system they will be better players, better people.
the pre-draft interviews, watching for certain traits etc, which we're not aware of, they all play a big part behind the scenes.

there was a player, Tara Slender, in Stella Reid and Emillia Yassirs draft year, who was rated top 5, but slide to 16.
didn't play a game and retired because she didn't want to put in the effort required to be a AFLW player, which is fair enough for a young kid, who'll change their mind heaps more times until they find what makes them happy.

at RFC we've had our busts in AFL and AFLW drafts, but it happens at every club.
i personally would have picked Williamson or Slocombe, but Bacon is who we picked and Bacon is who we've got.

i have to trust our process even when we draft wrong, annoying as that is......it happens.
I think she picked Victoria only so the next pick after us was Hawthorn for the Vic teams.

I think the good news from now on is the kids that will be drafted will have played multiple years through the junior system, which will hopefully provide better & more talented players. I heard them mention that this was really the first draft, where nearly all the kids coming through have multiple years of football development & are ready made for the rigors of football.

Can only presume they see significant upside in bacon , only in game 12m and a state grade player . Has elite traits but with her size will need 1-2 years to develop , so don’t throw darts 3 games in when Williamson is playing , she is more advanced physically, clearly . Bit of a funny kick MW , so is sheerin tho I spose
I’m at peace with our pics ,,,and repeat , ford will play early

Last edited:
Can only presume they see significant upside in bacon , only in game 12m and a state grade player . Has elite traits but with her size will need 1-2 years to develop , so don’t throw darts 3 games in when Williamson is playing , she is more advanced physically, clearly . Bit of a funny kick MW , so is sheerin tho I spose
I’m at peace with our pics ,,,and repeat , ford will play early

yeah, agree Mackenzie Ford could play really early, physically more developed.

expecting Ryan, Ford and Bacon to play games with Port Melbourne VFLW next year.
maybe Wicksteed, Peck, Reid, Woods as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back