List Mgmt. Trade/Draft Callback: 2017 first round pick out for an extra 2016 pick

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
expected marshall and atley to have a bigger year than what they are having.
SPP is currently being dropped.
Drew is showing he is on the verge of being a first 22 player.

All four are on the fringe of the list at the moment. Still happy with it, although expected/hoped for a little bit more by at this point.

ctpower

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
OUT: 2016 1st (#11 Oliver Florent), 2016 3rd (#48 Darcy Cameron), 2016 4th (#62 Matthew Signorello), 2017 1st (#12 Darcy Fogarty)

IN: 2016 1sts (#16 Todd Marshall, #18 Sam Powell-Pepper), 2016 3rds (#31 Joe Atley, #32 Willem Drew)

How are we feeling about this now?
I’m still thinking we got this wrong. Not in terms of trading for the picks but rather the players we drafted.
All four are playing sanfl this week.
That’s a bad sign.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The way Marshall is heading and talk that SPP is on the way out its looking pretty poor. Fogarty is the guy who was picked up with our 2017 pick (no loss) so we probably didn't miss out with that pick (T.Kelly was available but doubt he'd of taken him)

How we used those picks is looking poor, Will Hayward is one that really stands out, maybe Berry.

I certainly am not moving on SPP, it think he really has what it takes to become a really dynamic, match winning mid.

Marshall is starting to worry me, i think he definitely needs another preseason. Just because he is skinny doesn't mean he cant be the number 1 forward, he just wont be a Dixon type forward. J Cameron goes alright. Marshall just needs to play to his strengths, he has some real elite and rare attributes for a player of his height.

Marshall was developing brilliantly in 2018 until there was that minor issue of both of his parents dying. He hasn't looked the same player since. If he doesn't work out, we can hardly blame the club for trading up to get him when something like that happens.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
I would go with if I was Marshall and I had lost both my parents like he did I would of gone off the edge.

He will come good the lad is strong. He just needs time... he has gone through a incredible hard couple of years.

If I'm wrong.. well his happiness is more important then football anyways.

ButteredBun

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cream on the cake. Nice. Ollie and Pepper are our guts. Ladhams guts too. The future.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2020 becomes a huge year for this intake of draftees.

We should only let SPP go for a first round pick or as part of deals to get Hateley or Lukosius (not Fantasia).

Drew must be played ahead of Rockliff.

I don’t know where Atley fits in. He should be a more dynamic midfielder than he’s shown so far. Hopefully he has a great SANFL finals campaign and elevates his game next year.

Marshall needs to be the big improver though. We need a 30+ goal season from him and for him to start having dominant matches.

Ladhams also to feature prominently next year.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So just revisiting this, remains a tough one to answer.

Marshall has been threatening and I suspect we will know by the end of the year if he is going to make it.

For me SPP is a heart and soul, crash and bash player but his game awareness and skills are poor. I haven’t minded him as a defensive forward but have to wonder where he is heading and what his ceiling is.

Drew is injured and, whilst he has shown bits, his future would have to be in question. Atley would have to be done at years end.

Now I still think we do that trade again but it’s looking less and less successful.
Would we take Berry instead of SPP? English over Marshall? Or Florent and Fogarty without the trade?

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really, really like Florent. But i think Marshall will be a better player in time. A no to Fogarty. I also think Drew will come good once Rockliff/Wines leave.

Ollie florent was one of a few that draft that hasn't been trash
I dunno, the 2016 draft looks solid, just off the top of my head we got SPP and Marshall which is very good with 16 + 18, but McLuggage, Taranto, Sean Darcy, McGrath, Berry, Stewart, etc have all been solid and there’s plenty of other players who have been serviceable at the very least.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I still believe Marshall will become a solid AFL forward but he needs a big bloke like Dixon in the vicinity for him to show his best, some decent delivery from the midfield wouldn't go astray either.

But I thought Doogs would make the grade at Alberton as a tall utility, and look how that ended. :rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
OUT: 2016 1st (#11 Oliver Florent), 2016 3rd (#48 Darcy Cameron), 2016 4th (#62 Matthew Signorello), 2017 1st (#12 Darcy Fogarty)

IN: 2016 1sts (#16 Todd Marshall, #18 Sam Powell-Pepper), 2016 3rds (#31 Joe Atley, #32 Willem Drew)

How are we feeling about this now?

It’s looking less and less successful isn’t it?

English, Naughton, Georgiades, McDonald, etc showing some really positive signs whilst Marshall just hasn’t been able to take the next step.

Florent looking a serious talent at Sydney, whilst SPP is dealing with things. Atley delisted. Drew maybe shaken his injury issues.

I think this trade + 2016/17 drafts followed by chasing Rocky and Lycett, really show some discordance in our overall strategy.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
It’s looking less and less successful isn’t it?

English, Naughton, Georgiades, McDonald, etc showing some really positive signs whilst Marshall just hasn’t been able to take the next step.

Florent looking a serious talent at Sydney, whilst SPP is dealing with things. Atley delisted. Drew maybe shaken his injury issues.

I think this trade + 2016/17 drafts followed by chasing Rocky and Lycett, really show some discordance in our overall strategy.
Lol...

ctpower

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
This draft ended up not netting us the superstars we hoped for, but in Marshall, SPP, Drew and Ladhams, we still have four young players who can clearly play at this level and bring high level support to the trio of Butters, Rozee and Georgiades who are showing A-grade potential.
If two of spp, drew and Marshall make it then I think we’ve broken even but if the three of them do then I think we’re ahead.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If two of spp, drew and Marshall make it then I think we’ve broken even but if the three of them do then I think we’re ahead.
Depends on what constitutes it as them “making it”. SPP and Marshall should comfortably make it to 100, if not 150-200 games. Drew and Ladhams maybe to 100.
Good return? Yes.
Premiership forging return? Maybe if it supports A-graders who come out of the 2018-2020 drafts.

ctpower

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Depends on what constitutes it as them “making it”. SPP and Marshall should comfortably make it to 100, if not 150-200 games. Drew and Ladhams maybe to 100.
Good return? Yes.
Premiership forging return? Maybe if it supports A-graders who come out of the 2018-2020 drafts.
Yeah fair point.
I’m thinking 150 games and I think spp will comfortably get there.
I said back in 2019 that i thought drew was the best player from that list and I still think that. I’m just not sure his body will hold up.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
2016 NAB AFL Draft: Todd Marshall (pick No.16), Sam Powell-Pepper (No.18), Joe Atley (No.32), Willem Drew (No.33)
AFL Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts: Peter Ladhams, Jarrod Lienert, Emmanuel Irra (category B)

Verdict: The Power addressed list needs with their 2016 draft class, but the group is yet to deliver a top-10 best and fairest finish among them. Marshall was the standout key forward in the draft group and, while understanding he is not the primary tall target yet, his 57 goals from 55 games would suggest he is yet to deliver on his potential. Powell-Pepper (92 games) has not been able to move permanently into the midfield in five seasons, while Atley was delisted after four games in four seasons at the end of 2020. Drew has made the biggest recent impact of the group, playing 24 games in 2021 and cementing himself as an important inside midfielder, averaging 17.7 disposals, 3.9 clearances and 6.8 tackles. Ladhams (32 games) was a savvy rookie pick but was traded to Sydney this year in a move that saw the Power move up from pick No.16 to No.12 in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft and receive a future third-round pick. Lienert was delisted this year after 23 games, while Irra did not debut in his two seasons. - Nathan Schmook

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I'm happy with this draft. No pick in the top 15, we've still managed 3 players who are regulars and all have plenty of scope to continue to improve.

Looking at the draft as a whole, there wasn't a stack of emerging megastars taken after our picks that we missed out on.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm happy with this draft. No pick in the top 15, we've still managed 3 players who are regulars and all have plenty of scope to continue to improve.

Looking at the draft as a whole, there wasn't a stack of emerging megastars taken after our picks that we missed out on.
Agree - I remember thinking that I wanted Atley where we took him and getting really excited, although I had also considered that we might take Kobe Mutch or Clarke both of whom have been as unsuccessful as Atley. In retrospect, Jack Graham would have done us nicely with the Atley pick.

Handy draft for matureagers this one. Tom Stewart, Willie Rioli, Luke Ryan, Rowan Marshall, Oscar McInerney all 20+ when drafted and all turned into very good footballers.

Back