Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thread passed 10,000 posts so it's time to start a new one.

The story so far:
Going out
Ellis and Cavka have retired, as has McGinnity (who may have been pushed). Bennell has been delisted. That's four off the senior list, giving us five spots available (we had one free already).

Colledge, Waterman and Adamson ( :mad: ) have been delisted from the rookie list. Lucas has officially retired although he may well have been McGinnityed too.

A few players are a chance to leave through trades/free agency including Tom Lamb (out of contract and reportedly homesick slash sick of being stuck at East Perth), Eric MacKenzie (contracted but also stuck at East Perth and getting overtures elsewhere) and Mitch Brown (free agent and his wife has reportedly signed for a Victorian netball team, also he only got four games this year and none of them in the backline which would presumably be his preference, as opposed to getting chucked in the ruck where he looked like a fish seriously deprived of water).

Coming in
We need rucks and have been linked to Rory Lobb (contracted at GWS so will cost a pretty penny to extract), Will Minson (free agent), Zac Clarke (free agent), Drew Petrie (free agent) and just about anyone over 6'6" who is currently struggling to get a game. In terms of midfielders which we also need desperately we've been linked to David Swallow (yes please) and Reece Conca (no thanks). Hayden Ballantyne has also asked for a trade to us but fingers crossed we pass on that too.

Draft wise we currently have picks 12, 30, 48, 66, 84 and 102 although of course that will change with compensation and academy picks and father-sons and end up bearing no resemblance to how it originally looked, even if we don't trade any picks.

Right, that's got everyone up to date. If you just want news updates and don't want to read hundreds of posts in this thread, go to Keyser's news thread. But if you want to discuss said news, do it in here and not in the news thread, because that would defeat the purpose of keeping the news in one easy-to-read place now wouldn't it.

OK, discuss away.

Last edited:
FiveStrings serious request, can rules around off topic discussion be stringently enforced with regards to fights over how crappy our players are?

I mean, there are a tonne of places to lament Hills season or Darlings final.

As for trades, can't see us being big players. WC seem risk averse in chasing guns and if they pick up anymore underperforming players, geared at filling a role and they don't pan out, surely someone is getting the flick.

I imagine there might be a some token trading done re McKenzie and personally I hope we target a gun mid, but if we don't, then this is a draft the club needs to nail. Don't be unrealistic in where they see the teams future. Don't trade picks for top up players, or treat later picks with disdain. Maximise each pick. If that means hunting mature talent late in the draft, then for once they should try. Likewise aggressively seek to maximise draft position if players want to leave.

Last edited:
FiveStrings serious request, can this thread please be moderated in a way that it doesn't devolve into shitfights about how bad our players are?

I mean, there are a tonne of places to lament Hills season or Darlings final.

As for trades, can't see us being big players. WC seem risk averse in chasing guns and if they pick up anymore underperforming players, geared at filling a role and they don't pan out, surely someone is getting the flick.

I imagine there might be a some token trading done re McKenzie and personally I hope we target a gun mid, but if we don't, then this is a draft the club needs to nail. Don't be unrealistic in where they see the teams future. Don't trade picks for top up players, or treat later picks with disdain. Maximise each pick. If that means hunting mature talent late in the draft, then for once they should try. Likewise aggressively seek to maximise draft position if players want to leave.
What do we think re the whole Mitch Browns mrs signing for Collingwood or was that bullshit?

No idea.

The club loses a depth player, but he is a free agent. Had a hard time with injury, if it means he gets a game, then what can WC do?
Nothing besides try snag decent compo. But surely Brown leaving means Eric will not be leaving and leave us with less bargaining power

What do we think re the whole Mitch Browns mrs signing for Collingwood or was that bullshit?
I listened to the interview with Vozzo - the way he answered the question re brown gave me the distinct impression he'll be off if he gets an offer somewhere else

His missus has definitely signed with Collingwood

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-18/eagles-join-chase-for-demon-jesse-hogan

Summarises the interview with Vozzo on 6PR

Hopefully a link to the interview pops up so people can listen to what an outright peanut Hagdorn is

He's been reporting that Sumich knocked back an offer from west coast. If you listen to the interview an offer wasn't made only that after a discussion with Sumich it was clear Sumich wanted more than the line coaching position that's available so that's where it ended.

Talking to someone about a position does not mean a job offer was made. Despite being told that talks had ended, Hagdorn still asked a follow up question as to whether the Eagles would create a position to suit Sumich yo which Vozzo said we are only looking to add a line coach. It was pathetic

I listened to the interview with Vozzo - the way he answered the question re brown gave me the distinct impression he'll be off if he gets an offer somewhere else

His missus has definitely signed with Collingwood
Maybe time to draft a project centre half back/full back

Maybe time to draft a project centre half back/full back
Don't be surprised if we rookie list a 20 year old lad Tom Gorter who's been playing as a key defender/ 3rd tall for east Perth

The last thread passed 10,000 posts so it's time to start a new one.

The story so far:
Going out
Ellis and Cavka have retired, as has McGinnity (who may have been pushed). Bennell has been delisted. That's four off the senior list, giving us five spots available (we had one free already).

Colledge, Tunbridge and Adamson :)mad:) have been delisted from the rookie list. Lucas has officially retired although he may well have been McGinnityed too.

A few players are a chance to leave through trades/free agency including Tom Lamb (out of contract and reportedly homesick slash sick of being stuck at East Perth), Eric MacKenzie (contracted but also stuck at East Perth and getting overtures elsewhere) and Mitch Brown (free agent and his wife has reportedly signed for a Victorian netball team, also he only got four games this year and none of them in the backline which would presumably be his preference, as opposed to getting chucked in the ruck where he looked like a fish seriously deprived of water).

Coming in
We need rucks and have been linked to Rory Lobb (contracted at GWS so will cost a pretty penny to extract), Will Minson (free agent), Zac Clarke (free agent), Drew Petrie (free agent) and just about anyone over 6'6" who is currently struggling to get a game. In terms of midfielders which we also need desperately we've been linked to David Swallow (yes please) and Reece Conca (no thanks). Hayden Ballantyne has also asked for a trade to us but fingers crossed we pass on that too.

Draft wise we currently have picks 12, 30, 48, 66, 84 and 102 although of course that will change with compensation and academy picks and father-sons and end up bearing no resemblance to how it originally looked, even if we don't trade any picks.

Right, that's got everyone up to date. If you just want news updates and don't want to read hundreds of posts in this thread, go to Keyser's news thread. But if you want to discuss said news, do it in here and not in the news thread, because that would defeat the purpose of keeping the news in one easy-to-read place now wouldn't it.

OK, discuss away.
According to the offical WCE announcement, Waterman was delisted and not Tunbridge! (see http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-09-12/west-coast-eagles-list-changes). I think Tunbridge recovered from his injuries and showed his hunger and skill to keep his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hogan wants to come here, I don't see how we get it done in a way that leaves us stronger in the short term. We'd have to lose a good player, probably a midfielder, which weakens us in our already weakest area.

But for the longer term we need a Kennedy replacement...

Don't know, why can't we just get free agents? :D

Future picks.

Wait till he is out of contract next year and all we got to do is put a better offer in than Freo. This year he would cost way to much.
I'll just wait for the inevitable posts from people saying we weren't aggressive enough to snag him. :p

Subscribed.

Off topic and reported

Enjoy your ban bitch.

Re: Hogan next year will be the yr. Swallow as well. They'll both nominate WCE. Exciting times

Swallow has definitely been under the radar a bit thus far.

Not much speculation, no clubs openly chasing, hasn't come out and given his preference like all the GC players jumping ship.

I mean, he hasn't mastered the art of being totally invisible like Dylan Main did whilst he was on the list, but he's definitely a player i'd love over here.

I have no inside informants, don't know what the club is thinking and just want us to do well.
The impossible trades will remain impossible and the attraction to WA is very limited.
However, can something be done to elevate the trade period to something more interesting than cricket on a wet day.

If Hogan wants to come here, I don't see how we get it done in a way that leaves us stronger in the short term. We'd have to lose a good player, probably a midfielder, which weakens us in our already weakest area.

But for the longer term we need a Kennedy replacement...

Don't know, why can't we just get free agents? :D
We don't have a midfielder that would get the job done. It would have to be picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back