List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

supporters of the Vic minnow clubs jump up and down with the same "YoU jOiNeD oUr CoMp" bullshit like a schoolkid hoping that by parroting the same line, the bullies don't beat him up some more, even though they also get ****ed over by the status quo.
History shows the VFL was on its knees with Vic audit authorities saying seven clubs were bankrupt. The entrance fees from WCE and Bris Bears saved it. Many either don’t know the history - or find it an inconvenience.

History shows the VFL was on its knees with Vic audit authorities saying seven clubs were bankrupt. The entrance fees from WCE and Bris Bears saved it. Many either don’t know the history - or find it an inconvenience.
Search Google

Saving football: New documents reveal how close the VFL came to shutting down​

So don’t know what we are doing because we didn’t bring in 3 draft picks whilst sending out 2 picks for a grand total of 1 additional draft pick.

This is why people go broke

Hi

I am sorry you missed Collard, it was our good fortune this time.

Last season we missed a top ten NGA in McKenzie who went to the Hawks, next year we have a young bloke called Cole whom will go very high as well.

The whole inequity sucks, not a peep when it happened to us last year so I am glad a club like WCE who has some clout has been able to bring this issue to a head.

I know you all think the comp is skewed to Victorian clubs but in reality it is skewed to the big four in Victoria plus maybe Geelong. Smaller clubs like mine not some much (unless you are north, get your CEO to be appointed to the AFL and then get multiple free frdp's).

So basically I hear the reason these non AFL clubs get free NGA's is to expand the game and they don't need to move away from home.
So basically Collard is discriminated against. From all accounts he is very close to his family and being indigenous wants to stay in his country. But while the Northern states NGA's get to stay at home he is forced to move across country and now needs huge pastoral care.

The whole system is a complete travesty. I hope we can keep Collard and he becomes a star for us, but I understand totally why there is a fair bit of angst about us taking him.

Anyway good luck for 2024 and lets hope this NGA mess is sorted so it is at least fair for every club.

Didnt you guys just get Owens and Windhager as NGA?

Apparently Richmond offered their 35 + future 2nd for our 30
That likely would have left us with:
HReid/Simpson/Hall/ZZ whilst keeping our F3 with the additional F2 which would likely translate into a mid 30s pick.

So A Reid and Johnston for F2 (RICH), F3 (WCE), Simpson and ZZ…

I like A Reid but gee that would have been a good haul if it materialised.

Well if supporters of these clubs said that, they are idiots. WA and SA states have always been great AFL states and it was important to have these states in a National Comp.
I think WCE. Adelaide and Port are great clubs (sorry Freo, I think you are flogs) and Sydney and Brisbane needed AFL clubs, but these AFL vanity projects, GWS and GCS are a blight on the competition and a drain on talent.
I suggest you are partially correct but your post needs editing and some additions

Firstly, I believe Freo should be in the National competition. Three reasons 1) enough talent in WA to justify 2) enough interested football fans wanting to go to games in nd around Perth and 3) West Coast asked for a gimp in bright colours

Speaking of gimps, there are 3 teams in Melbourne that are the gimps of the big clubs. Firstly there are the Beggar Bowlers from Arden Street. Secondly there are the entitled at Melbourne and thirdly there are Bayside St Blunders. Let’s face facts, there would be very little lost if all three clubs folded. St Blunders fans go and link in with the expansion at Dingley and experience a club with sustained success . Norf fans join the Drug Rats which deserve credit in never wanting them in the VFL. Finally the Dees fans can join whoever they want as they are such a fickle mob and they are more members of the MCC anyway.

7 teams in Victoria, 2 in each of WA QLD SA and NSW and one for Tassie. 16 teams to play each other twice so improved fixture fareness. Less clubs more talent per team. Problems solved

I hope for the AFLs sake that Collard hits his potential real excitement machine of a player. Saints definitely showed balls taking him pretty high risk high reward type in the advent he requests a trade home WCE rarely stooge clubs so I would imagine close to the original investment would be paid back.

Close to original investment is an interesting one.

The shock jock headline is he was a R1 pick so deserves that in a trade. Likely the reality would be something mid to late 20’s (whether that is 2nd round or is now always nominally late 1st due to…. Reasons…)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ohh St Kilda. Oh you cheeky buggers, you really were a right royal pain in our ass this draft period, weren’t you!

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

IT WAS the St Kilda trade decision that likely cost West Coast drafting Dan Curtin last week.

In the lead-up to the first round of the AFL Draft last Monday night, all attention centred on Curtin's landing spot and Greater Western Sydney's pick No.7. With Curtin projected to slide, the Giants had multiple offers from five clubs for the pick.

One was from the Eagles, who were willing to trade their future first-round pick for the Giants' selection this year.

The Giants looked at all options but had decided they wanted to prioritise drafting small forward Phoenix Gothard. They proposed a trade with the Saints, which would have seen the Giants give up pick 16 and a future second-round pick to take the Saints' pick 13.

That would have put the Giants ahead of North Melbourne, who had a level of interest in Gothard, as well as the Saints, who were also in the mix for the Murray Bushrangers prospect, and all but lock GWS in to grab the goalkicker

If that deal had gone through, the Giants would then likely have accepted the Eagles' offer of their future pick – which could be a top-three pick next season – and allowed West Coast to couple Harley Reid with a Curtin coup. But the Saints said no to the Giants, conscious that a slide of three spots would risk their access to Darcy Wilson given Adelaide and North's interest after their selection. The Giants moved in a different direction, leaving Adelaide to swoop on Curtin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi

I am sorry you missed Collard, it was our good fortune this time.

Last season we missed a top ten NGA in McKenzie who went to the Hawks, next year we have a young bloke called Cole whom will go very high as well.

The whole inequity sucks, not a peep when it happened to us last year so I am glad a club like WCE who has some clout has been able to bring this issue to a head.

I know you all think the comp is skewed to Victorian clubs but in reality it is skewed to the big four in Victoria plus maybe Geelong. Smaller clubs like mine not some much (unless you are north, get your CEO to be appointed to the AFL and then get multiple free frdp's).

So basically I hear the reason these non AFL clubs get free NGA's is to expand the game and they don't need to move away from home.
So basically Collard is discriminated against. From all accounts he is very close to his family and being indigenous wants to stay in his country. But while the Northern states NGA's get to stay at home he is forced to move across country and now needs huge pastoral care.

The whole system is a complete travesty. I hope we can keep Collard and he becomes a star for us, but I understand totally why there is a fair bit of angst about us taking him.

Anyway good luck for 2024 and lets hope this NGA mess is sorted so it is at least fair for every club.
I don't think we have much clout just because we are a big club and never have as AFL have always done what they have wanted usually its to the detriment of us and not the other way around. Can't remember a time where AFL have ever done anything good for WA footy. They even rejected a simple request we ask for using private flights to lessen travel burden and they refused that the greedy pricks. I guess this year with us asking the AFL to change this stupid NGA restrictions has more clout simply because we finished last in one of the worst seasons ever recorded by a club in history. With that happening and being disadvantaged in the draft due to it being badly compromised has put a focus on the topic. It's way overdue but with more support from other clubs like Saints who are likewise disadvantaged maybe something will be done hopefully.

Could guarantee if we were sitting in the top half of the ladder and said it no one would bat an eyelid. Just perfect timing for us to voice our concerns while we are last on the ladder for a few years.

Last edited:

Off topic but VIC State Govt seem to be heading same way.

Might need something from WA to save them.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are your hopes for Clay Hall as far as ceiling goes mate?
He's inside but pretty quick with very good endurance.

Exciting times indeed.
Look - I'm the wrong person to ask given I love all the boys that I'm involved in selecting.

But the kid did well in all the junior matches, made AA and conducted himself well plating seniors. Nice kid and determined to be successful- what's not to like?

9 news had footage of Harley grabbing his hamstring and leaving training early

Hewett also apparently injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back