Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly, Watson, Bird, Stanton etc will probably retire this year, can't say I'm massively worried about our cap space. I want us to make a play at either Grundy or Schache.
Would make a play for Grundy but not Schache. Paying near $1million for him, Hooker and probably Daniher would be madness.

Kelly, Watson, Bird, Stanton etc will probably retire this year, can't say I'm massively worried about our cap space. I want us to make a play at either Grundy or Schache.
It'd be helpful if Grundy was a free agent that way we could go after both. There's a few OOC alternatives to Schache though:
- Mitch McGovern (ADE)
- Eric Hipwood (BRIS)
- Matthew Taberner (FRE)

Other than that maybe get Woosha to approach Kennedy from the Eagles? Then we draft a key forward and have them learn from him?

What about Motlop? Cats shopped him around last season and probably will again this year a fresh start at a new club might be in order.

Motlop is the kind of player who could just decide to quit at the drop of a hat. He's had his success, has no burning ambition to perform, would just be chasing dollars and I'd have zero interest in recruiting him. And no club went near him last year for similar reasons.

I'm a fan of Schache, and think he'd be a good fit for the team (and we desperately need another developing KPF) but I'm not sold on 850k for him. He hasn't shown enough potential. Even for the 700k proposed.

Cap space will be fine.. Few blokes will free up a ton. But Daniher will be on a big contract, parish needs to be signed and I reckon we're going to try lure a mid in the next 2 years.

Second last in the one that matters (differential)
I figured it would be something like that. Clearly a pretty big weakness of ours and probably something we should look to the trade and draft period to try and fix.

I'm just not sure if it is occurring because our rucks are not up to it or because our midfield is not up to it.

I figured it would be something like that. Clearly a pretty big weakness of ours and probably something we should look to the trade and draft period to try and fix.

I'm just not sure if it is occurring because our rucks are not up to it or because our midfield is not up to it.
Combination of both probably. Not sure either of Leuenberger or Bellchambers are great at getting hit-outs to advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a fan of Schache, and think he'd be a good fit for the team (and we desperately need another developing KPF) but I'm not sold on 850k for him. He hasn't shown enough potential. Even for the 700k proposed.

Cap space will be fine.. Few blokes will free up a ton. But Daniher will be on a big contract, parish needs to be signed and I reckon we're going to try lure a mid in the next 2 years.

Just out of curiosity, do you not have faith in Francis and Stewart or just believe we need more forwards?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just out of curiosity, do you not have faith in Francis and Stewart or just believe we need more forwards?

I think Stewart has the possibility to be a decent 3rd option, but don't see him being a true KPF.

Francis would be good, but I'm not sure if he'll be a true KPF, more a utility. I can see him in a few years getting a run in the middle and rest forward. Brute.

I think Stewart has the possibility to be a decent 3rd option, but don't see him being a true KPF.

Francis would be good, but I'm not sure if he'll be a true KPF, more a utility. I can see him in a few years getting a run in the middle and rest forward. Brute.

Yeah fair enough.

I think Stewart's basically the prototype KP forward for today's football.

Funnily enough I have less reservations about him than Francis.

I think they both will be good forwards though.

This. It's been our biggest issue in the last 5 years or so, we've got guys who can play as key forwards when called upon to do so (i.e. Hooker, Hurley, Brown, Francis, Bellchambers and Stewart), but I wouldn't say any of them are true key forwards (with Daniher probably being the only one).

If we can add a ruck/KPF and genuine power full forward in the off-season that would be ideal along with a couple of mids and maybe a half back.

We'll have another reasonably substantial list turnover again this year I reckon. As far as senior listed players I think the likes of Morgan, Howlett, J.Merrett and Bird all being candidates for delisting (or trading), and then the potential for the likes of Watson, Stanton, Hocking and Kelly to retire. Whether we shop Zaharakis around at all I'm not sure.

As far as the rookie list, we already know Eades is gone. McNiece, Draper and probably McKernan will probably all be given an extension. As for Long we'll have to wait and see; missed the first two weeks, was suspended for the following 3 and has supposedly been pretty underwhelming these last 2 weeks in the VFL side.

what's daniher gonna be worth? seems he no chance of leaving but surely he gets 900-1mil after the new cba just to make sure he never thinks twice about it.

what's daniher gonna be worth? seems he no chance of leaving but surely he gets 900-1mil after the new cba just to make sure he never thinks twice about it.

I have a feeling, much like Merrett Daniher will be a player that will sacrifice money gained over his career for future success. Merrett is playing well under what he's worth right now, but wants the club to still be in a good financial position to secure players.

Wouldn't surprise me if JD followed Fantasia and gets a 2-3 year contract before a bigger long-term one.

Alot of madness in here in regards to over paying for a young key forward. Next year joey could be in the top 2 key forwards. I agree lets draft one but lets not sell the farm. I think next year our midfield could be in need of some talent more than our forward line with watson goddard stanton and kelly most likely out or on there last legs.

He's a Daniher, what's he thinking twice about?

You don't need to pay as much for players you develop from within. Someone trying to poach would need to offer those kind of $$ though, not that they'll have any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back