Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and you can add Marty Gleeson as a bonus find for us outside the top 50 in 2012.

Out of GWS's 17 top 50 picks in that period, 16 of them came in the top 14 across 2011-2012. Insane.
Yep it's no suprise it's also crazy that a lot of their guns have gone to other clubs and they still have a gun young list, the club would be dissapointed if they don't play in the grand final this year

Yep it's no suprise it's also crazy that a lot of their guns have gone to other clubs and they still have a gun young list, the club would be dissapointed if they don't play in the grand final this year
Yep, and now that Tomlinson fills that 2nd key defender role their biggest weakness is plugged.

Ok, I think I've reached where I'm going with this. Final rankings based on % of picks that turned out to be big successes as well as the % of picks that turned out to be failures.

Let's call it: Which clubs are the best at identifying talent? (between 2008-2012)

1. Western Bulldogs
=1. Essendon
=1. Hawthorn
4. Fremantle
5. GWS
6. Sydney
7. Adelaide
8. Port Adelaide
9. Brisbane

10. Melbourne
11. Gold Coast
=11. Richmond
=11. West Coast
14. Collingwood
15. Geelong
=15. North Melbourne
17. St Kilda
18. Carlton

Honestly I doubt it matters. The most important one is the flag. So from 2008 onwards the only sides that have won are Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney and Footscray.

I thought this was just hate but I checked it out. Holy s**t. 08 wasn't bad but after that they found about 3 AFL quality players across the next 4 drafts.
Carltons drafting has been stunningly bad for the better part of a decade.

Ok, I think I've reached where I'm going with this. Final rankings based on % of picks that turned out to be big successes as well as the % of picks that turned out to be failures.

Let's call it: Which clubs are the best at identifying talent? (between 2008-2012)

1. Western Bulldogs
=1. Essendon
=1. Hawthorn
4. Fremantle
5. GWS
6. Sydney
7. Adelaide
8. Port Adelaide
9. Brisbane

10. Melbourne
11. Gold Coast
=11. Richmond
=11. West Coast
14. Collingwood
15. Geelong
=15. North Melbourne
17. St Kilda
18. Carlton

This depends on what you call a success or failure.

There's some players who are absolutely justified on being 1st round picks who suffer a freak injury, is that a failure of recruiting or is it just bad luck?

Honestly I doubt it matters. The most important one is the flag. So from 2008 onwards the only sides that have won are Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney and Footscray.
You don't think it's telling that the last 4 premierships have been won by 2 of the equal best teams at drafting talent from 2008-2012?

I thought this was just hate but I checked it out. Holy s**t. 08 wasn't bad but after that they found about 3 AFL quality players across the next 4 drafts.
Carltons drafting has been stunningly bad for the better part of a decade.
Haha no hate, just facts.

Their failures include: Tom Temay (pick 35), Josh Bootsma (pick 22), Matthew Watson (Pick 18), Patrick McCarty (pick 34), Luke Mitchell (pick 42), Kane Lucas (pick 12) and Marcus Davies (pick 43).

Their only big successes in that period were Sam Rowe and Mitch Robinson. The picks that turned out OK were Troy Menzel and Chris Yarran. Sam Rowe the only one still at Carlton.

This depends on what you call a success or failure.

There's some players who are absolutely justified on being 1st round picks who suffer a freak injury, is that a failure of recruiting or is it just bad luck?
I based it on games played and put them in 3 categories: big successes, turned out OK, and failed picks.

Only a couple of high picks stand out to me as having injury as the no.1 excuse and that's Anthony Morabito and Daniel Menzel. I ruled out Jayden Pitt from the numbers completely because of retiring early with a heart condition.

I had a look at which clubs stuffed up the most top 50 picks in recent times (the 5 year period between the 2008-2012 drafts). It is too early to judge the classes of 2013 and beyond yet.

Clubs took an average of 14 top 50 picks in that period. This is the % of club's picks that have failed to have a decent AFL career.

Worst Teams
Carlton @ 64%
North Melbourne @ 60%

Best Teams
Sydney @ 33%
GWS @ 35%

We sit better than average at 42%.

Not sure where I'm going with this but thought it might interest some people.
While it's too early to judge the last couple, they look certain to improve our strike rate with a little cherry of Raz in the mid 50s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I defer to your expertise, but I think a huge amount rests on how Stewart performs. He seems exactly the type of player the team needs for balance, so if he blossoms we're laughing, but if not there's still a need for a young, genuine relief ruck who's also at home up forward.

I agree. Stewart or Bellchambers need to prove they can play a role and will be a massive bonus if they can.
My comments are more along the line i think we have a much better potential attack at this stage that will kick a lot more goals. Right now i would be looking towards next years draft rather than looking for trades.

Haha no hate, just facts.

Their failures include: Tom Temay (pick 35), Josh Bootsma (pick 22), Matthew Watson (Pick 18), Patrick McCarty (pick 34), Luke Mitchell (pick 42), Kane Lucas (pick 12) and Marcus Davies (pick 43).

Their only big successes in that period were Sam Rowe and Mitch Robinson. The picks that turned out OK were Troy Menzel and Chris Yarran. Sam Rowe the only one still at Carlton.
You may have already, but can you list where you ranked ours?

Further to that, only 8 players in the entire comp kicked over 50 goals last year
Eth meant 60-80 goals combined, not each.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back