Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your work as always!

Higgins at 19... surely not! He's like a mini Dangerfield in my eyes.

Also no WA talent? Obviously you watch mostly TAC games but haven't heard anything positive out west?
Size is Higgins isssue, a lot of good taller midfielders I have above him atm.

I have Naughton at 22 who is from WA. There are a couple more players that look ok from WA being Sam Taylor and Jake Patmore but I can't fit them into the top 30 at this stage. WA doesn't look good this year, no SPS or SPP type player in this draft for them

Half the challenge, to be honest.

Riddle me this - when was the side last good enough that a premium trade-in would have made the difference, and hence justified giving up the necessary high picks? Dangerfield wasn't enough to get Geelong over the line and Treloar has made no appreciable impact on Collingwood's prospects.

In any case, the moment FA became an option Goddard walked through the door, and the list management team can hardly be blamed for Essendon being a wildly-unattractive destination since then.
thats a fair point.

thats a fair point.
I agree with you anyway. It'd be great to have another player of Goddard's calibre wanting in, particularly for free. Give the current cohort a couple of years to gel and give finals a shake of their own accord, then see if there isn't some established quality on the market.

I agree with you anyway. It'd be great to have another player of Goddard's calibre wanting in, particularly for free. Give the current cohort a couple of years to gel and give finals a shake of their own accord, then see if there isn't some established quality on the market.
I'd even pay.
If Hopper wanted to join and it was a 1st rd pick, i'd send it.
Same applies to Grundy.
Would happily write off the 1st round for the next 2 years to get both in and fill two gaps with players we need and are known AFL quantities, still under 23. They'd be hitting their prime with most of the talent on our list.

So ive checked which rebounding defenders are out of contract that we could look at
Luke Brown
Tom Cutler
Darcy Tucker
Garrick Ibbotson/Unrestricted free agant
Hayden Crozier (can also play forward)
Trent McKenzie
Adam Kennedy
Matt Buntine
Zach Williams - Yes Please
Taylor Duryea/Restricted free agent
Christian Salem
Aaron Mullet
Jasper Pittard/Restricted free agent
Riley Bonner - Yes Please
Brandon Ellis
Kamdyn McIntosh
Dylan Roberton - Yes Please
Shane Savage
Gary Rohan/Restricted free agent (Been playing forward but has looked good when played as a rebounding defender)
Zak Jones - Yes Please
Jackson Nelson
Sharrod Wellingham
Jason Johanissen - Nah total spud ;)

This is just a list not saying I want all these guys

Quote and highlight the players you would all consider

Also noticed Clay Smith is out of contract, get him the **** in!!
Cutler or Pittard thanks. Tucker could be good for a spot on the wing.

I also rate Wigg and Miles, although the later is more of a lockdown defender rather than a rebounder.

Higgins, Spargo and Fogarty's stocks seem to have fallen quite a bit. Height seemingly against them all or something else?
It's height that has them lower for sure, all 3 will be very good players and are all still top 20 calibre regardless. When you have taller midfielders like Davies-Uniacke, Dow and Cerra getting the same numbers as those guys I'm sure most clubs would prefer the bigger midfielders

Some guy on the Hawks board is saying to bookmark Dusty going to the Saints and the Hawks are heavily into Fyfe!
Saints list is in a awkward spot with the age demographic so they had better be sure it can put them into calculations.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some guy on the Hawks board is saying to bookmark Dusty going to the Saints and the Hawks are heavily into Fyfe!
Saints list is in a awkward spot with the age demographic so they had better be sure it can put them into calculations.

o_O:drunk::rolleyes::sweatsmile:

If that actually happened... simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somebody I think would be well worth a look to partner in our young midfield.

I'm of the opinion you don't pay top dollar for superstars as it can really throw our your pay structure so on that basis Fyfe and Dusty would not be a consideration. Disco mentioned on Bomber Radio how far ahead they look when considering player payments and I got the impression that their may be room for a player but I don't think players as big as the two above mentioned.

I consider midfield as one of our top two needs going forward and in particular big bodied midfielders that win their own ball and can remain involved in the game with tackling and two way running.

Josh is only in his second year and in my opinion showed a tonne of potential in a premiership team with the doggies last year.
As you can see from his player ratings from last year, as the season progressed he got stronger and as doggies got more injuries he got more midfield minutes which culminated him in being a very strong contributed come finals time when it matters. He is good overhead also so can rest forward which would suit our team strategy.

He's currently on his first contract so I wouldn't expect he would be on a lot and he comes out of contract at the season end. I couldn't imagine his next contract at the doggies would be super lucrative so we would only have to pay a little over market to get him and I think a second round pick would get it done. Obviously that would also allow us to maintain our first round presence in the draft and continue to build depth.

Thoughts on this type of strategy or all out for the big guns?

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/121411/Josh-DUNKLEY

wb.jpg

View Other Player Profiles
Search or find Past Players

Josh DUNKLEY
#20 Western Bulldogs

Height: 190cm Weight: 90kg Position:
2017 Digest: Not many kids get to play in an AFL flag in their debut season, but Dunkley did. The task is now to break into midfield mix permanently.

2017 NAB Cup:

2017 Season
1 -
2 -
3 Senior emergency.
4 NM Lurked forward for one goal in third term. Took six marks and had three inside-50s. 4

2016 Season
1 Frem Got two goals and was handy on debut but kicking is look away stuff at times. 5
2 StK No real impact despite Bulldogs dominance. Quiet night. 2
3 Senior emergency.
4 VFL Struggled to get involved in loss to Richmond VFL. -
5 VFL Won a bit of the ball and was a presence around the ball all match. -
6 VFL Dogs’ best with 30 disposals and immense workrate. Never stops moving. -
7 VFL Six tackles to go with a nice haul of possessions. Steady throughout. -
8 VFL Five marks, six tackles, two goals and a lot of the ball. Developing well. -
9 VFL Good run of form continues. Six marks, four tackles and plenty of touches. -
10 Coll Youngster snagged two goals and could easily have booted another. 5
11 WCE Kicked an early goal and had his moments but was generally pretty quiet. 4
12 Port Battled away in the midfield for little reward. 5
13 Geel Had some chances playing in attack but didn’t take them. Attacked the ball with vigour. 4
15 Senior emergency.
16 VFL Won a huge amount of ball – 11 rebound 50s, six clearances 17 tackles. -
17 GCS Solid four-quarter effort up forward and rotating in the midfield. 6
18 StK Tackled well and did some nice things. A definite prospect. 6
19 Geel Did some nice things roving about half forward/wing. One goal, three inside-50s. 5
20 NM Showed a willingness to work hard and keen to nail a place. 6
21 Coll Started in the middle and worked hard inside to continue good form. 6
22 Ess Tackled hard in the crushes but not damaging with the ball. 4
23 Frem Impressive. Tackled relentlessly and followed up to win the ball. 6
EF WCE Did his bit, especially in second half with two goals. 15 possessions. 5
SF Haw Started in middle and was a good ball winner but often hacked his kicks. 7
PF GWS Has prospered in the right part of the season and been a surprise packet. 7
GF Syd Began in attack and worked hard in every situation to play handy role. 5

opposition supporters had half our banned stars leaving last year, they're wrong 9 times out of 10.

opposition supporters had half our banned stars leaving last year, they're wrong 9 times out of 10.

I agree.

Wishful thinking more than anything.

I don't want them at our club is all. Both would improve us immeasurably but I wouldn't want to sell the farm to do it!

Why can't we just go find us a Paul Weston/David Grenvold mature age ready to go tough as nails defender with elite kicking skills????

I will not accept the answer: 'Because there are none' (even if it might be true)

Plus you should never start a sentence with 'Because.'

Why can't we just go find us a Paul Weston/David Grenvold mature age ready to go tough as nails defender with elite kicking skills????

I will not accept the answer: 'Because there are none' (even if it might be true)

Plus you should never start a sentence with 'Because.'
Pig was that player I guess.

I would like to see Heppell go back to defense but I don't think that's to popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back