List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Its hard to crack a game; flag, minor premiership, flag [good time line]

- Townsend & Moore are behind Jack and Lynch for big spots, Rioli, Bolton, George and the mids for small spots... Balta and CCJ are the next gen. Butler got the ass too

I like Moore, will make it I reckon - like Sammy Lloyd did. if not, he will kick ass at a frankston or williamstown

Townsend is a legend. Lynch takes away a fwd spot, even Caddy was shuffled to a wing after 50 odd goals prior

Heres my take on the current list.

Townsend has nothing to do with Lynch and JR in the sense they are totally different players even though Townsend could cover for an injury.

Going forward the players at biggest risk of dropping out are:

Houli: age father time catches up with everybody

Broad: Age and class in time other players might step up and fill the void

Astbury: Age and class in time other players might step up and fill the void although we do not have a ready direct replacement for Astbury type

Castagna: Kicking and father time. Even though Castagna is young the matrix is about age/class so like Lleyton Hewitt, how long can Castagna keep doing it. Hope he keeps punching and improving but its food for thought.

Lambert: Age and class. Lambert will always be handy with his enduro, competitiveness and toughness but he just needs to be aware when age kicks in and a bit of speed drops off and so for the edge can be closer than you think for starting 22. I might be wrong but looking at the Geelong game I thought I saw possibly signs of tapering off. Food for thought and happy to be proved wrong over time

Then you have guys that might go simply because bust salary cap like Ellis.

So in this regard I cannot understand Richmond letting Townsend go, because in another 2 years, even if Townsend then 27 the landscape of the RFC list could be quite different. RFC could have quite a few star quality still but lacks the required proven backup support and depth!! It would be different if RFC had stars all over the place but then you would need some moneybag players like Pike anyway, but it has a number of role players and they can taper off at some point. So younger cover would be handy

Last edited:

bit worried about our VFL side now

Agree I think its signs of overconfidence like in the 1980's.

I do not like these items of the RFC website in terms of the quantity of celebrations player by player of our 2019 premiership. Sure enjoy it but I think player by player over and over is a little over done and excessive.

Maybe have a group of 4 describe their experiences making up 6 items but the number of exerts is a sign of losing a little focus I think

It was mentioned earlier in the week that the club do rate him highly and that injuries have hurt his development this year.

FWIW we now have 36 senior listed with Baker Chol & Stack being elevated, means only 4 picks at the draft.
Sounds about right imo , we should just take the 4 selections

Hopefully we can package up the Butler pick #56 plus our picks #39 + #41 for a pick in the mid 20's

Heres my take on the current list.

Townsend has nothing to do with Lynch and JR in the sense they are totally different players even though Townsend could cover for an injury.

Going forward the players at biggest risk of dropping out are:

Houli: age father time catches up with everybody

Broad: Age and class in time other players might step up and fill the void

Astbury: Age and class in time other players might step up and fill the void although we do not have a ready direct replacement for Astbury type

Castagna: Kicking and father time. Even though Castagna is young the matrix is about age/class so like Lleyton Hewitt, how long can Castagna keep doing it. Hope he keeps punching and improving but its food for thought.

Lambert: Age and class. Lambert will always be handy with his enduro, competitiveness and toughness but he just needs to be aware when age kicks in and a bit of speed drops off and so for the edge can be closer than you think for starting 22.

Then you have guys that might go simply because bust salary cap like Ellis.

So in this regard I cannot understand Richmond letting Townsend go, because in another 2 years, even if Townsend then 27 the landscape of the RFC list could be quite different

Georgie is only 23 hes still got a good 6 or 7 seasons before he starts to slow down and he hasn’t even reached his peak so still has plenty of upside

lambert is only 27 so still also has a good 3 years plus
He has never been a fast player to begin with so him slowing down isn’t a huge deal

think you are pretty well and truely off the mark with your assessments this time mate

the other guys you mentioned are at the peak of there powers and no point worrying about moving them on until he need too

As much as we all love Towner let’s face it he was never very good
He didn’t have the speed or endurance to play midfield at afl level and he simply dosent fit in our team anymore structure wise
No point holding him back because of emotions connections we have to him

Georgie is only 23 hes still got a good 6 or 7 seasons before he starts to slow down and he hasn’t even reached his peak so still has plenty of upside

lambert is only 27 so still also has a good 3 years plus
He has never been a fast player to begin with so him slowing down isn’t a huge deal

think you are pretty well and truely off the mark with your assessments this time mate

the other guys you mentioned are at the peak of there powers and no point worrying about moving them on until he need too

As much as we all love Towner let’s face it he was never very good
He didn’t have the speed or endurance to play midfield at afl level and he simply dosent fit in our team anymore structure wise
No point holding him back because of emotions connections we have to him

George might only have another two years at the elite level. Could be wrong, but its hard for a player to put in as consistently as George does with the energy strength. Remember George has to push his body harder than most in intense moments as part of his competitiveness. I am sure George will have a crack but will his body last?

Lambert might only have one more year at the elite level and possibly taper off in the twos. The rationale is he is no Dusty. While his competitiveness and endo is great over time new younger players simply become more competitive especially when you lack the versatility, X factor and strings to your game unlike Dusty. You only have to look at Sam Walsh's new endo paradigm shift for younger players. Again, happy to be proven wrong, but its something Lambo needs to be aware of to keep his application and motivation up.

I think I can say Lambert had a better year last year than this year. Is that a sign of a trend? Is he like cricketer Warner that lacks the eye and strings of Smith so when he gets a little older the difference can be quite telling?? He is 27, at his level is he just past his peak starting to decline?

Townsend was good in his role as a forward who kicked goals with high efficiency and tackled and supported the smalls. The truth is apart from Dusty we have no replacement and Dusty can be very effective in other places. If Townsend was 27 okay, but he is only 25 and age is important when maintaining the level and support and team cohesion.

Thats the thing with Menadue even as a rookie, he is 23. 23 compared to 27 is a world of difference unless your a gun where pure class and ability overcomes that like Dusty and Hodge like JR. This is where it comes home, Lambo is at 27 getting older asked to compete with the likes of a young and improving Sam Walsh without the tools of a Dusty, Hodge and JR, thats the reality of the contest becoming apparent over time. Now I hope Lambert will take up the challenge and fight through it but it is an uphill battle and, like all of us, he is not getting any younger.

Thats whats in George's favour, he is 23, now he needs to make the most of it in the next few years in particular.

RFC cannot follow Geelong into the age of malaise!!

Last edited:
Menadue was always a project player and still ways about 50kg

i thought he was in the bests in the grand final and very influential in making goals in a low scoring game. Im still shattered that bloke punched him in the face when he was on track for goal of the century.

Hopefully he gets a chance and freo with Conca (and the fyfe bloke) dishing it to him

edit: weighs
Why did you not just change ways to weighs?

Not sure. I think our ruck depth is fine, but he is class. If he were 205cm+ he would be a top 3 pick. But he's not, and we already have a few blokes around 199cm who are pretty handy in the ruck (nank, chol, balta, ccj).
Oh is he 199cm? I thought he was taller than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes few having a melt here.Towner did his job thankyou very much move on.Moore we got guys ahead of him and hasn't stepped up.Menadue time for a change has talent ,but lacks believe when goes up into the afl.No point keeping them on the list rather fresh young blood we seen the impact that has made to us over years from even first year under 18 kids and state league recruits these guys weren't going to play rather fresh faces.Grigg and Butler had no impact on this season so no lost there only real one is Ellis in reality and gun to come back Rance.

As for Miller second year project KP player and had those injuries or illness this year.Silly to delist him now needs time.

FB: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Houli, Rance, Short
C: Caddy, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Lambert, Riewoldt, Rioli
FF: Bolton, Lynch, Castagna
R: Soldo, Martin, Prestia
I: Graham, Broad, Nankervis, Pickett

FB: Baker, Garthwaite, Miller
HB: Naish, Balta, Eggmolesse-Smith
C: Turner, Ross, McIntosh
HF: Higgins, xxxx, Stack
FF: Markov, Chol, Aarts
R: Coleman-Jones, Collier-Dawkins, English
I: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx

In:
Out: Weller, Townsend, Menadue, Butler, Ellis, Moore

FB: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Houli, Rance, Short
C: Caddy, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Lambert, Riewoldt, Rioli
FF: Bolton, Lynch, Castagna
R: Soldo, Martin, Prestia
I: Graham, Broad, Nankervis, Pickett

FB: Baker, Garthwaite, Miller
HB: Naish, Balta, Eggmolesse-Smith
C: Turner, Ross, McIntosh
HF: Higgins, xxxx, Stack
FF: Markov, Chol, Aarts
R: Coleman-Jones, Collier-Dawkins, English
I: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx

In:
Out: Weller, Townsend, Menadue, Butler, Ellis, Moore
Reckon that seconds side with our new draft picks would get within five goals of Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back