List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets Part II

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Been established.Prestia/Lunch & now Ccj all shop at Coles Richmond and love milky ways.
1570714103138.png

Barunga Bullet

The GOAT
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Just a heads up all, I have been really busy with RL stuff. Honestly, just got made redundant, so obviously have a lot going on. I am sharing that bit of personal news, just so I can be stopped being tagged into posts and stuff. I am fine however, and I have a few things already in the pipe line so will bounce back from this OK, just have more to worry about then who is going for what at this stage.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear champ! Onwards to bigger and better things

Might be a dopey question but given the quality and youth of our AFL list, unless we see genuine value in a third round and later pick, would it be sensible to pass on our selections in that zone and top our list up with mature age rookies in the rookie and mid season drafts who have already shown what they can do. I'm assuming this strategy would minimise the impact on our salary cap which seems to need all the help it can get right now. We've also done brilliantly going down that path - Soldo, Pickett, Stack, Lambert etc. Just asking.

IMHO probably not. Mature agers tend to either be gambles coming from another sport (e.g. Soldo - often very tall guys playing ruck) or OK but not great. Pick the best kid with what we have, and if someone mature who is really interesting is there then fine. But just stick with building and building.

In many cases there is a really good football reason the guy isn't in the AFL. Sometimes they develop late (Lambert), but often they just aren't that good (Aarts?).

Seems Wooody Bonar at GWS is highly gettable. According to McCartney they have a “log jam of inside mids.”

Second rounder would get it done. Not much interest from other clubs.
Not much interest because they don’t want to pay the next two years of his contract $400k+

Not much interest because they don’t want to pay the next two years of his contract $400k+
Are most top 10 picks on $400k+ on their rookie deals? Id be surprised if so

I foresee this being an unpopular opinion.

In regards to CCJ, I will say that if it comes to the end of next season and he has played consistently above the level at VFL and hasn't had great opportunity at AFL level; well I couldn't begrudge someone for seeking better opportunity.

Also as good as Soldo was since Nank went down, and as much a warrior as Nank has been since he came down from Sydney, neither of those two are at a Grundy/ Nic Nat/ Gawn level and are so dynamic that they just have to be picked. My point is that if CCJ is as good as we think he will be, and he puts his best foot forward in pre-season, there's no reason why (or Balta and Chol for that matter) can't be right in the frame for senior selection early next season.

In terms of Bonar, he will come at a cost. Noting our tight salary cap and the cost of a second rounder, I'm of the view that we should steer clear considering he might not be in the best 30 at the club. That said, he does have a tantalising array of physical attributes.

My mail (and it really is a "heard it from my neighbors sisters boyfriends hairdresser" kinda deal) is that Bonar will be at either Essendon or wrapped up with Patton in a deal to the Hawks.

In regards to CCJ, I will say that if it comes to the end of next season and he has played consistently above the level at VFL and hasn't had great opportunity at AFL level; well I couldn't begrudge someone for seeking better opportunity.

Also as good as Soldo was since Nank went down, and as much a warrior as Nank has been since he came down from Sydney, neither of those two are at a Grundy/ Nic Nat/ Gawn level and are so dynamic that they just have to be picked. My point is that if CCJ is as good as we think he will be, and he puts his best foot forward in pre-season, there's no reason why (or Balta and Chol for that matter) can't be right in the frame for senior selection early next season.

In terms of Bonar, he will come at a cost. Noting our tight salary cap and the cost of a second rounder, I'm of the view that we should steer clear considering he might not be in the best 30 at the club. That said, he does have a tantalising array of physical attributes.

My mail (and it really is a "heard it from my neighbors sisters boyfriends hairdresser" kinda deal) is that Bonar will be at either Essendon or wrapped up with Patton in a deal to the Hawks.
I suppose the positive with all that is none of the big fellas can rest on their laurels as their is serious depth knocking on the door.

Seems to be a lot of noise around Balta being groomed for a KPD position. No reason why he cant be a Darcy Moore clone minus the injuries.

Nank, Soldo, Chol and CCJ seem to now be in a 4 way dance for 2 spots. Hope we hold onto CCJ as hes the perfect Jack replacement when his time comes.

24 & Butler to Saints
Stevens & 19 to Geelong
17 to Richmond

Saints get early second round pick for Steven and Butler as steak knives.

Geelong land Stevens who helps replace Kelly and drop 2 spots in first round

Tigers move up 2 spots and get Butler to a club he wants.

Are most top 10 picks on $400k+ on their rookie deals? Id be surprised if so
GWS seems to mostly extend their early picked players automatically by two years on a fair whack to keep them. It’s why they seem to trade youngsters on their list for not much because it’s a salary dump. They mostly keep the players they want though.

Heard somewhere on radio last night that Geelong have tried to get Brad Crouch!

Not sure what they would be able to give up as they have to use the first round pick they got for Kelly in the draft this year.

Seems they are desperate to trade in experienced players at any cost. Hahahaha losing Kelly has hurt them a lot.
In fairness to them they have to have a crack. Ablett, Selwood, Dangerfield, Taylor, Hawkins all 30+ now. Their window is closing fast.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
24 & Butler to Saints
Stevens & 19 to Geelong
17 to Richmond

Saints get early second round pick for Steven and Butler as steak knives.

Geelong land Stevens who helps replace Kelly and drop 2 spots in first round

Tigers move up 2 spots and get Butler to a club he wants.

If Butlers value is so little should we just drop his salary to 100K per year?

Last edited:

In all honesty If it came down to this I would prefer that we moved on Nank as much as I love the bloke and what he does he simply doesn’t have the upside and scope for improvement that Soldo and CCJ have as of right now especially in regards to CCJ’s ability to play forward and eventually play as that chf/ff role after jack finishes up

Although this could easily change

Back