List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Good response.

Its troubling it comes from a Bulldogs supporter.

Fair enough and RT said he was impacted by injury.

I think RFC might be over playing the draft at the moment. Sure bring elite talent in including left field options but we need support to help us contend for the next 5 years as a base!!.

When JR eventually retires we need to be contending after the announcement to.
Main reason I have followed Miller's career is he played for my juniors club (he's aair bit younger than me though)
Miller is poor overhead, no good in a contest and basically can't get a kick.
Thats true, I only highlighted his upside to show why I think he's worth developing. He's never had the greatest endurance either

Main reason I have followed Miller's career is he played for my juniors club (he's aair bit younger than me though)
Thats true, I only highlighted his upside to show why I think he's worth developing. He's never had the greatest endurance either
Kalgoorlie was it? His draft vid had some exceptional highlights

So, are we just going for best available? Doesn't seem to be a lot of talent left when we have our first pick but I trust the Tigers Recruitment/Development Team to find a diamond in the rough and groom them into quality contributors moving forward.

If I had to choose a type of player we needed, I feel a key tall would be great to get followed by more mids. Our rucks were always a weakness but now we seem to have an embarrassment of riches in that area.

With the latest list changes the Tigers have only 5 players from other clubs which is fewest in the league - Prestia, Lynch, Caddy, Nankervis and Houli.

Just shows how strong our drafting has been in recent times.
That's actually quite surprising, I always thought of Tigers as having a fair few trade-ins, but I guess it's because they are among your best players (Prestia, Lynch and Houli I rate as top 5 at your club in terms of importance right now). Do you have a source for those numbers? Would be interesting seeing how many trade-ins other clubs have. I believe the Dogs have 6 (Suckling, Trengove, Schache, Lloyd, Duryea, Crozier), unless you count the mid season draftee Gardner who was delisted by Geelong a few years back but remains uncontracted for next year.

For reference, Hawthorn have 13
  • Shaun Burgoyne (Port)
  • James Frawley (Melb)
  • Jack Gunston (Ade)
  • Sam Frost (Melb)
  • Ricky Henderson (Ade)
  • Jarman Impey (Port)
  • Ben McEvoy (StK)
  • Jaeger O'Meara (GC)
  • Tom Mitchell (Syd)
  • Jon Patton (GWS)
  • Jack Scrimshaw (GC)
  • Tom Scully (Melb/GWS)
  • Chad Wingard (Port)
I'd consider probably 10 or 11 of those guys as best 22, so they've basically built their side through trading rather than drafting. Interesting the approaches different teams tend to take. Dogs
seem to draft the core of our side, then target cheaper role players to fill holes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Millers not even that quick imo. Watched him a number of times in the vfl and he looked like average pace and agility was poor. Which was surprising given all the talk about how athletic he was.
Didn't he have some op that slowed him down!?!

That's actually quite surprising, I always thought of Tigers as having a fair few trade-ins, but I guess it's because they are among your best players (Prestia, Lynch and Houli I rate as top 5 at your club in terms of importance right now). Do you have a source for those numbers? Would be interesting seeing how many trade-ins other clubs have. I believe the Dogs have 6 (Suckling, Trengove, Schache, Lloyd, Duryea, Crozier), unless you count the mid season draftee Gardner who was delisted by Geelong a few years back but remains uncontracted for next year.

For reference, Hawthorn have 13
  • Shaun Burgoyne (Port)
  • James Frawley (Melb)
  • Jack Gunston (Ade)
  • Sam Frost (Melb)
  • Ricky Henderson (Ade)
  • Jarman Impey (Port)
  • Ben McEvoy (StK)
  • Jaeger O'Meara (GC)
  • Tom Mitchell (Syd)
  • Jon Patton (GWS)
  • Jack Scrimshaw (GC)
  • Tom Scully (Melb/GWS)
  • Chad Wingard (Port)
I'd consider probably 10 or 11 of those guys as best 22, so they've basically built their side through trading rather than drafting. Interesting the approaches different teams tend to take. Dogs
seem to draft the core of our side, then target cheaper role players to fill holes.

The dogs also got Keith and Bruce last Trade Period.

If they get rid of Moore, then Chol and Markov at the end of 2020.
Both have been given a good run and CCJ surpasses Chol.
Chol might still have more improvement. Bit of extra size over preseason as well as the experience gained this year he could become pretty handy.

Not a bad type to have on the list due to the variety of roles he can play

For all the s**t canning Miller the club have kept him so he must be good at something.
Remember when Broad couldn't get close to the seniors? Got his chance and has maybe missed 1 game since while winning 2 flags.

Our list management team know what they're doing. I don't even worry about these sort of things nowadays.... club is run so well that it's scary.

I think Miller had a case of the notorious second year blues
His first year was very promising,
Think the club will persist,, maybe even put
Him on the rookie list,, would love to see
Him play one more year so we can work out
If he does have a long term future with us
Small sample size so far,,

Millers not even that quick imo. Watched him a number of times in the vfl and he looked like average pace and agility was poor. Which was surprising given all the talk about how athletic he was.

If you think about it, a player without a great tank will often look slow because he can’t keep up as he tires. But once he builds the tank he will likely appear quicker for longer. For what it is worth, I think he is worth persevering with. Always give the big guys 4 years unless they have poor attitude or just cannot offer anything useful. Miller has shown glimpses and is not a defender and this is where he has been played most. Also he has played a very peripheral and changing role because he often played in teams with Balta, Garthwaite, Beasley, Chol, CCJ, Soldo/Nankervis, Moore...these guys were often cutting into each others roles. We saw as the top team played two rucks and Moore got injured and CCJ and Chol were thrown into bigger roles they suddenly looked the goods. Delist and re-rookie looks a reasonable option with Miller, but it seems this makes the player an unrestricted free agent every time his contract is up so that strategy may be used more sparingly in future.

Last edited:
With the latest list changes the Tigers have only 5 players from other clubs which is fewest in the league - Prestia, Lynch, Caddy, Nankervis and Houli.

Just shows how strong our drafting has been in recent times.
Gone are the days of the recycled hacks. Pretty much since Clark took over as head of recruitment we've been getting a lot more right than wrong.

Nothing wrong with Miller's tank or speed but not sure if he has the campaigner in him to be an effective backman
from what i remember he was a foward during his junior years so is effectively being re programmed, I thought he would be delisted and rookie listed to give him time to develop for another 2 years whilst clearing list space.

Nothing wrong with Miller's tank or speed but not sure if he has the campaigner in him to be an effective backman
from what i remember he was a foward during his junior years so is effectively being re programmed, I thought he would be delisted and rookie listed to give him time to develop for another 2 years whilst clearing list space.

I hope that’s the option we go with. I thought he was useless in the VFL finals. We might as well played one short. Hopefully we see something better from him next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back