Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Should be. I also think this would be independent of any play for crouch or SPP. After keeping Coniligio they will be prepared to deal on these fringe guys who haven’t kicked on. The trade for Pickett a pick 6 after two years for a 3rd is what we should be looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly don’t think we should bother. GWS have an uncanny ability to trade out their dud/average early picks (admittedly mostly to the blues) and keep the good ones. Plowman, O’ Rourke, Pickett, Kennedy, Jaksch, Marchbank, WHE, Tyson, Sumner, Bugg and McCarthy. But keep the good ones like Taranto, Hopper etc...

Setterfield is too early to call and who knows on Ahern.

GWS also manage to extract maximum value from (made to look) good players like Lobb, Shiel and Treloar.

So if they’re happy to let Bonar go for peanuts I reckon it’s cos they know he’s no good.

True but you have CCJ who will take his spot within the next year or so unless Nank is the one that drops out.

I can see our team ending up being Chol fwd/ruck with CCJ once Jack retires.

I can see our team having a big (;) ) problem of too many good rucks. Toby is mid 20s, Soldo is developing into a top notch tap ruck and decent around the ground, CCJ is supposed to be the 2nd coming mobile ruck forward. Chol isn't a ruck, but a good pinch hitter there. Balta similar to Chol.

If we have 2 genuine AFL quality rucks then play them. That means Chol has to make himself a genuine AFL KPF, and Balta whatever works for him (can do almost anything really). I wonder if Nank will be the one to end up traded in 2 years. If Soldo keeps developing he'll control the stoppages and contests, and we've seen how that improves our midfield. If CCJ is as good as advertised then he'll be sort of a like for like with Nank, but taller. Which leaves one of my favourite players out in the cold. I'm still going to wait, cause you never know.

But right now I see our future ruck division as possibly being dominant for 5-7 years - given luck and development. That in its own is amazing. If we end up being able to trade a genuine top end AFL ruck as well that's ridiculous (and quite sad).

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
True but you have CCJ who will take his spot within the next year or so unless Nank is the one that drops out.

I can see our team ending up being Chol fwd/ruck with CCJ once Jack retires.
its not a given ccj will just click on, hes shown a lot but hes more a forward/ back up ruck imo at this stage.

soldo if he keeps developing and builds on this year is our clear no.1 i think.

if nank is the one to drop out then we are going very very well!

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Honestly don’t think we should bother. GWS have an uncanny ability to trade out their dud/average early picks (admittedly mostly to the blues) and keep the good ones. Plowman, O’ Rourke, Pickett, Kennedy, Jaksch, Marchbank, WHE, Tyson, Sumner, Bugg and McCarthy. But keep the good ones like Taranto, Hopper etc...

GWS also manage to extract maximum value from (made to look) good players like Lobb, Shiel and Treloar.

So if they’re happy to let Bonar go for peanuts I reckon it’s cos they know he’s no good.

Point taken, but you've gotta admit they've let a few rippers go over the last four or five years - the three you've mentioned (Lobb, Shiel and Treloar) as well as Josh Bruce, Devon Smith, Taylor Adams, Jack Steele, Hoskin-Elliot, Nathan Wilson and Sam Frost, who are all good to excellent footballers. Caleb Marchbank will also become a very solid long-term defender at the Blues - I'd take him in a heartbeat as a successor to Rancey.

They do let a whole lot of quality go if you look beyond what SOS has seen.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Point taken, but you've gotta admit they've let a few rippers go over the last four or five years - the three you've mentioned (Lobb, Shiel and Treloar) as well as Josh Bruce, Devon Smith, Taylor Adams, Jack Steele, Hoskin-Elliot, Nathan Wilson and Sam Frost, who are all good to excellent footballers. Caleb Marchbank will also become a very solid long-term defender at the Blues - I'd take him in a heartbeat as a successor to Rancey.

They do let a whole lot of quality go if you look beyond what SOS has seen.

Adams and Smith should have been with Treloar and co. just forgot them.

Yeah they’ve lost quality, but they always keep the cream of the crop and they usually extract a good price for those who leave that they rate.

The point I was trying to make is when they trade former first rounders for nothing it’s cos they’re duds and they know it.

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond

Agree for the most part but Bonar is a bit like RCD, more of a long term prospect. Both are in that massive boom or bust category once they’ve grown into their frames.

Not fussed either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
I would love to get Bonar , Think this kid has been forgotten about and something is not right with him at GWS
Happy to trade the Ellis pick we get to bring this kid or 2019+2020 1st rounders for Caldwell
I thought you said you get a bonar once a week at keilor rd massage??

Sir_Rancelot

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
CCJ is going to be a player that's for sure.
I don't think we need to offload any of our rucks, we just shouldn't recruit any other rucks for now.
If you watched the VFL last weekend you could see how good CCJ is going to be.
I think Soldo also knows he has limitations so he may be content to stick around as a back up if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I still think Chol could be a good key defence option. Know he was tried there in the reserves when younger but if he cannot be a first ruck option at AFL level he needs to master another position and with his height, athleticism and polished disposal, you would just think he would be ideally suited in defence.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I can see our team having a big (;) ) problem of too many good rucks. Toby is mid 20s, Soldo is developing into a top notch tap ruck and decent around the ground, CCJ is supposed to be the 2nd coming mobile ruck forward. Chol isn't a ruck, but a good pinch hitter there. Balta similar to Chol.

If we have 2 genuine AFL quality rucks then play them. That means Chol has to make himself a genuine AFL KPF, and Balta whatever works for him (can do almost anything really). I wonder if Nank will be the one to end up traded in 2 years. If Soldo keeps developing he'll control the stoppages and contests, and we've seen how that improves our midfield. If CCJ is as good as advertised then he'll be sort of a like for like with Nank, but taller. Which leaves one of my favourite players out in the cold. I'm still going to wait, cause you never know.

But right now I see our future ruck division as possibly being dominant for 5-7 years - given luck and development. That in its own is amazing. If we end up being able to trade a genuine top end AFL ruck as well that's ridiculous (and quite sad).
Agreed and I think we will better understand who to hold and who to fold this time next year , the results may astound. I’d hate to choose right now , fortunately we don’t have to

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
I' reckon I piss in public twice a day .
I drive a van so just open left hand front door
Stand in the gap and piss on the ground
Daylight or night don't care,,
You gotta go you gotta go

B7B41DCD-86AD-48A8-8080-54B45CBCBC09.jpeg

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Soldo is going no where. he is still very young and has cemented his spot.
Nank - as above
CCJ - will play forward. perhaps Jacks replacement for future
Chol - I personally feel he will be out of the side in a year or 2. Has potential but others work harder and will get past him
Balta - KPD
Agree with most of that but with an improved tank (hopefully), I see Balta as a winger

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond wingman Brandon Ellis was linked with a move to Carlton for much of the home-and-away season, only for the Blues to baulk in the last month.
It has left the door ajar for Gold Coast Suns to make a strong play for the premiership player on a deal which could net Richmond a first-round pick as compensation in this year’s draft.

If the length of the contract on offer and finances are good enough, the Tigers could feasibly win this year’s premiership yet enter the draft with pick 18 and 19 or 19 and 20, should Gold Coast be granted a priority pick.

Opposition melts are delicious

Last edited:

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond wingman Brandon Ellis was linked with a move to Carlton for much of the home-and-away season, only for the Blues to baulk in the last month.
It has left the door ajar for Gold Coast Suns to make a strong play for the premiership player on a deal which could net Richmond a first-round pick as compensation in this year’s draft.

If the length of the contract on offer and finances are good enough, the Tigers could feasibly win this year’s premiership yet enter the draft with pick 18 and 19 or 19 and 20, should Gold Coast be granted a priority pick.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, the ruck situation suddenly became interesting when Soldo emerged as a genuine article. I know we have been trying Chol and Balta as back up rucks but I don't see their future in any such role. If Chol can start holding his marks, he could play either a key or floating tall at either end of the ground. Balta though has the greatest up side for me. A big unit, very fast with a huge leap, I'd like to see him groomed for a wing/outside mid position. He has the potential to be a reincarnated Kouta for us and that would be a scary prospect for every other Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back