List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets rumours 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to keep in mind with Pickett is that he hasn't played at all this season due to a hand injury. It's possible he'll play his first game back this week but you'd have to think he'd be long odds to step into our AFL side and contribute early doors.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Don't like it personally. I'm talking at a fabric level. Kids say put a No8 on their jumper at the start of the season and Tigers trade Jack for the next big young thing (it's hypothetical). I think mid season trading has the potential to tear at the fabric of the supporter base. Talking of Jack, he said on Fox 360 it is inevitable though. I like the re-introduction of the mid draft though as it offers up another opportunity. It's ramifciations of lower leagues would ahve to be huge though. Could go from Premier favorites to missing the finals part way through a season - wonder what safeguards might exist?
It used to happen all the time, stopped some time in the 80s. I have always found it ridiculous that in a professional sport a team can't bring in a player to fill a gap during the season.

It used to happen all the time, stopped some time in the 80s. I have always found it ridiculous that in a professional sport a team can't bring in a player to fill a gap during the season.

I know, I used to be a League Registrar. Had up to 30th June to apply for a Clearance and a request for a clearance could be refused. It would then have to be appealed if the circumstances provided for it. There were many different periods in the VFL / AFL. The period of which you speak is described below:

Period 6 (1985-2003) began with the introduction of the team salary cap from 1985. The appointment of an ‘independent’ VFL Commission in 1984, which replaced the old VFL Board of Directors comprised of a delegate from each of the clubs, heralded a new policy direction. Zoning was phased out during this period with country zoning ending in 1986 and metropolitan zoning in 1991. The first national player draft was held late in 1986, in time for the 1987 season, with drafted players initially being 'bound' for three years, later reduced to two. A pre-season draft (for delisted, or listed but uncontracted players) began in 1989. The sale of player contracts was banned and apart from a mid-season draft from 1990-1993, players and draft selections could only be traded between clubs during specified times during the off-season. Senior player lists (rosters) were also introduced at the time of the player draft. A feature of the draft/salary cap system was the inability of a club to draft a player unless it could fit his anticipated salary under the team salary cap. In 1993 special assistance draft concessions were given to the three bottom teams with competitive difficulties. A minimum wage was introduced in 1994 as part of the first of a series of collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) between the AFL and the Australian Football League Players' Association (AFLPA). Recruiting concessions were given to new clubs (Brisbane, West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle and Port Adelaide) to help them form their player lists.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
wonder if the club would entertain trading dan butler. what would we get for him?

Interesting question. But this draft is only to bring in non-listed players onto a list. His lack of mongrel though could be considered as a nonTiger injury...so LTI list it is for Butler and opens up another spot!!

I would really love to get Sier & Bonar

both players would fill an area in our list that need reinforcements

Definate YES for Sier. Bonar:think: he loves to tackle:heavycheck::heavycheck:. Isn't he a bit clangerish? (new word)

ivansarmy

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
wonder if the club would entertain trading dan butler. what would we get for him?
Would be interesting to see what we’d get. I think he’d be a good fit at GWS as a role player applying pressure and he is good mates with Hopper. Would be smart by the club to try and use him to get a young GWS mid looking for more opportunity imo.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Definate YES for Sier. Bonar:think: he loves to tackle:heavycheck::heavycheck:. Isn't he a bit clangerish? (new word)
Bonar is big and has pace as well as having talent and wanted him in the draft, Only concerning part would be he has had a knee reco as a junior but thats not an issue now by the looks of it.
We will pick the best talent available regardless of position IMO with our first pick and our second will be based on needs. IMO we need to pick 2 inside ball winners. I know we are missing rance but pressure from the midfield will help our backs and as to rucks, i seriously think a combo of soldo and Balta, one for taps and the other to use his speed around the ground can work.

So 2 mids please

1.Mitch Podhajski
2.Kyle Dunkley

;)

Bonar is big and has pace as well as having talent and wanted him in the draft, Only concerning part would be he has had a knee reco as a junior but thats not an issue now by the looks of it.

1.Mitch Podhajski
2.Kyle Dunkley

;)

Brother to?

Contracted to the end of 2021. We might have to be patient.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Draft Kyle Dunkley then trade for his brother in the trade period. When he's played in the guts he's a gun.

Still I'm not sure we actually have 2 picks at this stage. I'd say the journo has just assumed Rance and Griggs spots will be the ones used.

It's a Shame Callum Moore has a long term injury. I'd say he'll never pull on the jumper again. Someone will pick him up for free.

I suggested after the flag that we had a surplus of small forwards, including young ones coming through and that the likes of Butler, Castagna & Townsend would be good value trades for us, especially given the timing.

The idea was not well received (to put it mildly), but in retrospect it was probably the way to go.

No idea where the '2 picks' story came from, but it's definitely got legs.

I think there is just an assumption that Rance is on the LTI list, or would be put there before the MSD.

Couple of questions (if anyone knows). If he was put on the list, when could he return (how many weeks does he need to stay there) and does having a 'replacement' recruited effect the club's ability to return him to the main list?

Also, does the new player have to fit under the salary cap? (if so, we might want to save the coin...)

Or Moore.
Reading the draft picks article today and it didn't mention anything about us putting Rance or Moore on the LTI just mentioned that we gained a second pick by Grigg retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back