Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Forget having spare cash for FA you’re underestimating the quality we have coming through that are on base wages , with Houli grigg Ellis all possibly exiting we should have enough to reward emerging talent , no more though
Yep we have talent bursting out of every orifice

If BEllis does go then we must keep Short IMO to play as a winger.

Butler coupled with our 1st rounder should get us a good big bodied mid

Stack will move into the midfield next season and sheds will stay at HB where is so damaging IMO.

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
If BEllis does go then we must keep Short IMO to play as a winger.

Butler coupled with our 1st rounder should get us a good big bodied mid

Stack will move into the midfield next season and sheds will stay at HB where is so damaging IMO.
would take that

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Any rumours of who we're into? Ive heard Pickett? I like that ex pies midfielder whose won the last 2 sandgroper medals I think? He'd be good value as an inside mid imo. Riordan also putting up some good numbers as an inside mid

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Any rumours of who we're into? Ive heard Pickett? I like that ex pies midfielder whose won the last 2 sandgroper medals I think? He'd be good value as an inside mid imo. Riordan also putting up some good numbers as an inside mid
When is this s**t?

When is this ****?
Marlion Pickett: The 183cm and 85kg tough nut averaging 21.8 disposals when switched from half-back to midfield to replace Kelly at Sth Fremantle. Get in line!

Might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t see the point of going into the mid season draft looking to fill a hole for this year

I really have my doubts that anyone will be effective on the short term with no afl level pre season and not knowing any of the clubs structures and game plans

For me the club should be looking to draft someone who is a little more risky (like a Pickett who has off field concerns) as like a 6 month trial to see how they settle into the AFL system in the hopes of keeping them in the future

Instead of us say looking for a key back to play this year

I’m not just talking about Richmond either I’m commenting on the pre season draft as a whole

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t see the point of going into the mid season draft looking to fill a hole for this year

I really have my doubts that anyone will be effective on the short term with no afl level pre season and not knowing any of the clubs structures and game plans

For me the club should be looking to draft someone who is a little more risky (like a Pickett who has off field concerns) as like a 6 month trial to see how they settle into the AFL system in the hopes of keeping them in the future

I’m not just talking about Richmond either I’m commenting on the pre season draft as a whole

agree with you

If Pickett is fit he should be the one we get, straight into play midfield

what is the lengths of the contracts that the guys in the mid-season draft get?

rest of the year i believe, but then the team that drafts them has first rights to renegotiate their deal

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Agree with this , We wont find a player that slots straight in and replaces a injured player

My view is that we should be looking to 'Have a look at a player' that has the skill set we require in the long term but without the long term commitment and after 3-4 months if he is not what we want can let him go.

Kyle Dunkley & Mitch Podhajski are the 2 players that i think we should be looking very closely at in the mid season draft
Marsh would have been an ideal pick if the bloody saints had not taken him.

Exactly. The chances of getting a quality AFL player are very low. But a decent younger guy that can grow into a role, fairly good. So pick ofr the future - Freebie try before you buy

Four AFL clubs vying for services of Cody Hirst in mid-season draft, reports Tom Morris

At least four AFL clubs are vying for Eastern Ranges ball-winner Cody Hirst less than two weeks out from the mid-season draft.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Sydney, Richmond, Melbourne and Carlton have all shown considerable interest, while at least two other clubs continue to monitor him closely.
AFL recruiters say Hirst would have almost certainly been drafted last year had it not been for knee and collarbone injuries that ruled him out for the majority of the season.

Despite only playing four matches, he twice broke Stephen Hill’s agility test results at the Rookie Me combine in late 2018 but was still overlooked on draft day.
Returning to the Ranges as a 19-year-old has been hugely beneficial for the ex-Lilydale junior, who supports the Demons and lists Nathan Jones as his favourite player.
Champion Data rates Hirst elite for uncontested possessions and above average for ranking points, disposals, contested possessions, goals, score assists and tackles in 2019.
He’s been used on a wing this season, where the clever 180cm prospect has been his team’s most influential player on at least two occasions already and among the best in three other matches.
But insiders say he’s far more likely to be drafted as an agile forward-flanker rather than an out-and-out midfielder.

“He’s got a lot of tricks, he’s a very smart player, he’s been able to build a bit of a tank to be able to play up the ground,” Eastern coach Darren Bewick told the Herald Sun recently.
“He’s just very smart with his footy knowledge and his ability to use the ball by foot.”
Unfortunately for Hirst, he will not have another opportunity to impress before May 27’s mid-season draft. The Ranges have the bye this weekend ahead of Vic Metro tryouts after that.
If Hirst gets picked up, he’s more likely to spend the rest of 2019 learning his craft in the VFL or NEAFL than playing senior matches.
But that’s not unusual for most mid-season draft prospects. Experts maintain clubs are keen on using a vacant spot on their lists as a means of preparing for 2020 rather than necessarily plugging a hole in 2019.
Hemisphere player agent Julian Petracca said Hirst is an ideal candidate to be picked up in the first mid-season draft since 1993.
“He’s a perfect example of why the mid-season draft is effective,” Petracca told foxfooty.com.au.
“It provides hope for players like Cody in their 18th year.”
Hirst will undergo medical testing on May 22 alongside other hopefuls, five days before the mid-season draft.
Clubs were asked to prioritise their list of potential recruits in order from one to three. The top ‘vote-winners’ would then be invited to medical screening. Hirst was among them.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
So that's Pickett, Dunkley and Hirst we've been linked to. Not sure any will be available at pick 10 though...

It would not surprise ma at all if we hear the name Mitch Hibberd on our list after the mid season draft, Its a position where we have been hit very hard and he is a 22 year old former 1st round pick thats ready to go and a big body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back