Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I think we need to put more focus on recruiting good kicks, we have far to many below average kicks in our side.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon that’s a consideration when trading for established midfielders. We need to look at some additional “2 way runners” who work as hard defensively as offensively. At the moment we have Lambert who works hard defensively and lots of attacking mids
Agree defensively.We should develop a tagger.I know we use Graham in a negative role but aerobically he can easily be shaken.

That’d be a win for them but we’d have to trade pick/s and or players.

Wait 12 months and get him for zilch.

I’m really keen to go to the draft again this year and continue to build that inside midfield similar to last year
We need inside midfield help in 2020 not in 2021.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
We need inside midfield help in 2020 not in 2021.
Agreed but at what cost ? Crows hold the whip hand so do we pay overs ? Push our cap to the brink and weaken our draft position.

I think our recruiting team is performing like we’ve never seen before, I’m happy to invest in youth knowing that we are getting it right more often than not.

FA is the way to bring in established talent- costs you nothing

We have one in our midst.
Reckon we can develop SS over the summer into a contested mid.
He'll no doubt crack in, but he isn't exactly a big bull inside midfielder, like Crouch is. Reckon this is where we need the likes of Ross RCD & Vlastuin to step up if we can't land a ready made one.

Same issue with Sier.
Sorry for the intrusion, but there’s no issue with Sier’s defensive game. Runs both ways and averages 5 tackles a game. Had a team high 9 yesterday.

Any chance of him leaving? & for what round draft pick?
He’s just come out and said in an article in the Age that he wants to stay at Collingwood, so unless there’s some catastrophic breakdown in his relationship with the club I don’t think he’s in danger of leaving. As for what Collingwood would want if he did leave? I’d say they’d be asking a fair bit. Derek Hine said at a members meeting last year to one of the posters on our board that he rates Sier as the best young talent we have, ahead of DeGoey and Stephenson. Personally I wouldn’t want to trade him for anything. My opinion is that he’ll be our best mid within a couple of years. His vision in the contest and handballing are already close to the best at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too small.

We need bigger mids. Prestia, Lambert, Baker, Higgins, etc are all tiny.

It was like men vs boys vs Geelong and Dogs etc
How’s RCD developing? I remember Knightmare saying he could become DeGoey-like if developed right in his draft year.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
How’s RCD developing? I remember Knightmare saying he could become DeGoey-like if developed right in his draft year.
Much different player to degoey if he develops properly something like Jobe Watson is how I see him , fair way to go , hope to see signs after another pre season

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Very different player to De Goey as mentioned he will be more mid than foward but not looking like he will be ready for 18 months still due to tank

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
people keep saying we are okay for mids but are we really.We certainly lack for bigger mids in fact we lack a whole pile of medium sized players.
I count 12 genuine mediums on the list.
Townsend, Grigg, Markov, Menadue. Grigg has already retired and i personally have a line though the other three.
That leaves just 8 medium sized players
Defenders - Pickett, Vlastuin Turner.
Mids- Martin, Cotchin, RCD,Ross.
Fwd - Caddy some will say hes a mid either way it neither here nor there because there are so few mediums on the list.Three are 18/19y0 and one is a 27yo rookie who hasnt played a game.
Contrast that with the number of smalls a whopping 19 getting close to half the list and the list is so out of balance it aint funny.

Personally id be looking to cut/trade say half a dozen smalls and target more medium and tall players.

I agree with a lot of this and I think the number of smalls we have is so great, with the quality of some questionable to, as a collective on field its actually affecting our ball movement detrimentally and our ability to kick goals negatively as well as effective inside 50's!!!

If we have a look at our previous teams the effect of our smalls going forward is quite profound for the following reasons.

1. in the recent past we had Grigg who was up and back along the wing no longer there.

2, Rance was a big that played like a small because he was so athletic especially for ground ball. He has been replaced but Garthwaite is not that player in terms of like for like especially regarding the ground ball

3. We have Lynch but Lynch is not JR in terms of the ground ball.

4. Nank is out and although Soldo is in he also does not have the same ground level acumen and around the ground competitiveness.

5. While 1-4 are not smalls they are supporting cast making the smalls we have even more important as to their effectiveness and relevance to our competitiveness and Balta can be added to.

6. So with the smalls we have we also added Stack(gun) and Baker who is around 174cm odd. We had Ross but lost him as well.

The point is the proportion our midfield team being small is ridiculous despite some obvious class such as Stack so the pure number of smalls we have playing together is starting to be a factor on why and how we are losing!!

Last edited:

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Wrote at the start of the year, before the Rance injury, we need a KPD.
Cerra is out of contract end of 2021.
He would only be 21.

Last edited:
Very different player to De Goey as mentioned he will be more mid than foward but not looking like he will be ready for 18 months still due to tank
Everyone thought JDG was more a mid than forward until 2018 too ;)

Everyone thought JDG was more a mid than forward until 2018 too ;)
Riley plays full time midfield spending barely anytime forward unless following the play in. They are putting all development towards him being a big inside midfield bull.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He'll no doubt crack in, but he isn't exactly a big bull inside midfielder, like Crouch is. Reckon this is where we need the likes of Ross RCD & Vlastuin to step up if we can't land a ready made one.
For starters we can't afford a ready made one ala crouch.Who else is there?Sier? for sure right age bracket but won't come cheap to prize away from the Pies and no doubt he'll get better offers $ wise from other clubs.Secondly Stack being Stack he is already a hard nut.Just need to teach him the finer details of becoming a inside mid,Agree keep developing Ross & Rcd into replacing the likes of Cotch & Dusty in the middle.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry for the intrusion, but there’s no issue with Sier’s defensive game. Runs both ways and averages 5 tackles a game. Had a team high 9 yesterday.
Fair enough mate.You seem him more than i do,Just going on what Mathew lloyd(i think) said a few weeks back why he wasn't getting a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back