List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets rumours 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
We knew everything. It was Cousins MK2 - we had assurances from the player and his management of how certain things were to be handled moving forward, and it all turned to 5h1t, but we knew exactly what we were getting in to and took the gamble.
It was a wake up call, and i'm so glad things have changed now where even a bad attitude will see the club pass no matter the talent (see Bennell).

That’s mind boggling. I’ve never once yet heard a meth head not say they’ll give it up if you give me one more chance. Whoever agreed to give up a first round pick in the process needs to get their pay docked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stitch

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I have this feeling that Balme is entering new territory here when it comes to finalising our playing list for 2020. Everything seemed to be tracking by the book until our injury crisis led to the emergence of Stack, Bolton, Balta, Chol, Egg and Baker as serious contenders for weekly selection. Not to mention Marlion Pickett in the wings with Soldo proving to be a competent solid performer. Not one of these names is on serious money and everyone deserves to be retained on our list. There will be some hard conversations at player exit interviews later in the year with some established players being offered substantially reduced money to continue or invited to seek opportunities elsewhere. Fun times ahead.
A more optimistic way of looking at it is we've got an earlier assessment of how these kids play and are better placed to make list decisions now. A player like Menadue or Butler who have been reasonable have been out played by younger player like a Baker's Stack of Eggs and Naish. So we can now confidently make decisions on their contracts knowing we have a good crop coming through next season. Good position to be in imo. Only concern would be how Carr negotiates Bolton's contract.

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
A more optimistic way of looking at it is we've got an earlier assessment of how these kids play and are better placed to make list decisions now. A player like Menadue or Butler who have been reasonable have been out played by younger player like a Baker's Stack of Eggs and Naish. So we can now confidently make decisions on their contracts knowing we have a good crop coming through next season. Good position to be in imo. Only concern would be how Carr negotiates Bolton's contract.

Carr is the spanned in the works. If we lose Bolton and Ellis so be it. I’d love to keep Bolton but I don’t want this to drag out and Ellis is surplus to requirements to me.

Super happy we kept Astbury. Trading out a veteran fullback is crazy, plenty of years left in him and we have nothing coming through.

Garthwaite, is miles off being a key defender and seems too small. He’s worth persisting with but if we can get multiple seconds I hope we look at making a move for a good prospect in the draft. Even trading up if we have to.

Stitch

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
'I will become a 6000-pound gorilla on this': Suns to ask for No.1 pick
The problem has never been draft picks for the Suns. Its been their slim list concessions when compared to the Giant's. They were required to reduce their list by 8 players and $1 mil of additional salary cap in the space of 4 seasons. This meant trading talent on the cheap and being left with a tight cap making the retention of Prestia/O'Meara/Lynch near impossible, even if they wanted to stay, as they were paying average players above average salaries just to meet the minimum cap spending. Whereas the Giants list concessions will end this season, 8 years after their inception and they had the bonus $1 mil for an extra season meaning they could afford to forward contracts for players like Ward/Shaw/Davis and still retain the younger players like Cameron/Coniglio/Kelly etc. Draft concessions only work if they're matched by list concessions, otherwise gifting the Suns picks will only result in the same player exodus that the Lion's faced. Another option would be for the AFL to adjust to the minimum cap spending to allow more flexibility for clubs (which would probably be opposed by the AFLPA, though if they get past their inflated ego's they'll realise a competitive team on the Gold Coast will strengthen the next media deal and increase their pay because right now its a loss for broadcasters to televise the Suns). Leave the drafts alone and give the Suns an additional squad size, a matching salary cap boost and first access to DFAs. They can choose to sign some mature heads or they could choose to take advantage of the salary increase and try to lure a big fish. Either way its more sustainable for their list than just gifting them Pick 1 or 19.

We are in an interesting place right now. We have well over 22 proven AFL capable players. They'll want to play AFL as much as possible. And other clubs will come for the pickings. So do we try to retain them as long as possible? Or try to cash in on guys we have replacements for?

If we get it right we might just add more quality (draft picks or trades) to keep it all rolling for longer, and not hurt or 2020 performance.

I'd guess that the key is how much can we get for a player like BEllis combined with whether we can stay under the salary cap.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Carr is the spanned in the works. If we lose Bolton and Ellis so be it. I’d love to keep Bolton but I don’t want this to drag out and Ellis is surplus to requirements to me.

Super happy we kept Astbury. Trading out a veteran fullback is crazy, plenty of years left in him and we have nothing coming through.

Garthwaite, is miles off being a key defender and seems too small. He’s worth persisting with but if we can get multiple seconds I hope we look at making a move for a good prospect in the draft. Even trading up if we have to.

Yes agreed- trading up could be a good option if the cards fall our way during trade period, it’s often a difficult thing to do if your first pick is late teens.

Sam De Koning is a good u18 kpb prospect- 200cm, athletic, very good one on one player. Won selection in th AA u18 team this year. From what I’ve heard/read will probably go 2nd round.

Definitely an area we should be investing in

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
I can't see the Suns ever becoming a sustainable club myself.

Not giving Southport that licence was the biggest blunder the AFL has made in recent years IMO. Southport had 20k members in 1995 (though mostly social members admittedly). But it's a genuine club with a long history and actual roots in the GC community. It has an identity, unlike the plastic Americanised Suns franchise. Blows my mind tbh.

Yeah they really dropped the ball if they wanted to build a club. By all reports they’re building the game at junior level but imagine how much easier it’d be if they had a club with a culture? Hell the Gold Coast is not a town of locals per say... expats, tourists, retirees. If you are already contesting with a culture that’s challenging you should at least get a local club w/ a culture on board

But I guess if you come from wealth and privilege the easy thing to do is just throw your weight around and throw cash and resources at things the boys club at AFL HQ are good at meaningless cash blows

On topic though... really hard to say what we want going forward trade wise. Think we just try and get some more kids through the draft - maybe some mature bodies if we lose anyone or Ellis.

We have a pretty good spread of everything really without wanting to spend big in any area at the moment. Another Jack Ross type would be great a genuine ball winner. Maybe a ruck option but CJ will be ready to play that role within a couple of years and Soldo/Chol/Balta or a combination of can do back up for now.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I liked Sam Day's work against us and he is going ok since returning to AFL level. I have always thought his best deployment is in defence and we need a another tall option there, and whoever it is probably needs to be able to play in other roles which this bloke can. not sure we could match what others can offer him under free agency and he would cost us any B Ellis compensation, but I do think we really need one of these swingman types who can also help out in the ruck. That, or look to get Chol into defence.
I agree. Would be a good option for us.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
I have this feeling that Balme is entering new territory here when it comes to finalising our playing list for 2020. Everything seemed to be tracking by the book until our injury crisis led to the emergence of Stack, Bolton, Balta, Chol, Egg and Baker as serious contenders for weekly selection. Not to mention Marlion Pickett in the wings with Soldo proving to be a competent solid performer. Not one of these names is on serious money and everyone deserves to be retained on our list. There will be some hard conversations at player exit interviews later in the year with some established players being offered substantially reduced money to continue or invited to seek opportunities elsewhere. Fun times ahead.

I would think one of the hardest will be with our oldest player Houli as to whether he should continue. By and large apart from a few mediocre games he has played pretty well this season. Certainly well enough to probably play another year. But you do need room for the green shoots to sprout. They are so many quality kids coming through and they don't just need to be financially rewarded, but also when ready for senior selection be given opportunity. Not every player can do a Roughhead and continue for another year knowing that most likely they'll be spending most of their time in the reserves. Will be interesting to see what happens to him.

I would think one of the hardest will be with our oldest player Houli as to whether he should continue. By and large apart from a few mediocre games he has played pretty well this season. Certainly well enough to probably play another year. But you do need room for the green shoots to sprout. They are so many quality kids coming through and they don't just need to be financially rewarded, but also when ready for senior selection be given opportunity. Not every player can do a Roughhead and continue for another year knowing that most likely they'll be spending most of their time in the reserves. Will be interesting to see what happens to him.

It's funny to be talking like this about a player who is only 31 (32 next May). Personally I think he is too young and still playing a pretty good standard of footy to give it away. He is also contributing to the club in a big way off the field.

I'm tipping he goes around again next year knowing that we have a few coming through in his position so no guarantees and $$ commensurate with that.

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
Not sure we have a kid that can do what the lion from Lebanon can do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
1 more year for Houli I reckon.

He was actually pretty bloody impressive how he stepped straight back into it after injury and played at a very high level.
His body may be more susceptible to injury as he gets older but there’s been no dramatic drop in form

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Edwards is the only key signing left really, I'm hoping Bolton, Baker and Chol all sign at some point. Ellis looks like hes out the door but we're really in a fantastic position. Houli's eligible for the veterans list next year which will open space

It seems so long since we've had a player old enough to qualify for the veterans list. I completely forgot it's a thing lol.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
SO hearing the Suns need senior players to help build a culture and assist stop the go home factor, surely we can send 2 -3 players there way again. Menadue, B. Ellis and maybe Butler for example to add to Miles and C. Ellis would be a good nucleus of 5 guys who have been at a premiership team and know what is required.

THoughts?

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
SO hearing the Suns need senior players to help build a culture and assist stop the go home factor, surely we can send 2 -3 players there way again. Menadue, B. Ellis and maybe Butler for example to add to Miles and C. Ellis would be a good nucleus of 5 guys who have been at a premiership team and know what is required.

THoughts?
They could really do with all 3. They have almost no speed and not enough run and carry.

Menadue off half back. Speed and a bit of a can he step up?

Ellis on the wing. Super durable good experience and age.

Butler speed and pressure up forward where they have promising talls. Allows them to play ainsworth as a mid.

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
THIS. I was born and grew up on the Gold Coast and have zero emotional attachment to that team. If they folded over and died tomorrow, i'd barely give it a second thought. But the Southport Sharks? They would have been my second favourite team and would have had a keen interest in them.
Who gives a s**t about the Suns? There is no soul or anything for locals to connect to. Plus what a s**t truck sounding name. Bleh
Go Sharks

Totally agree. I'm from the Sunshine Coast and would love to see another successful AFL club in SEQ. The Sharks were (still are) ready made... great culture/history, great moniker, unique strip, existing members. They've produced AFL talent before too. Did you know Nick Riewoldt used to play for them? Helped them to a flag in 2000. Dayne Beams played there too, and Kurt Tippett, Lachie Weller, Jesse White... heaps more. They had all the ingredients, and had applied for a licence multiple times before as well.

Anyway, this isn't the right thread for Suns related ranting (sorry mods :moustache:). It just really grinds my gears haha.

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Totally agree. I'm from the Sunshine Coast and would love to see another successful AFL club in SEQ. The Sharks were (still are) ready made... great culture/history, great moniker, unique strip, existing members. They've produced AFL talent before too. Did you know Nick Riewoldt used to play for them? Helped them to a flag in 2000. Dayne Beams played there too, and Kurt Tippett, Lachie Weller, Jesse White... heaps more. They had all the ingredients, and had applied for a licence multiple times before as well.

Anyway, this isn't the right thread for Suns related ranting (sorry mods :moustache:). It just really grinds my gears haha.
Get the afl to bring out the old rebranding. Gc sharks sounds better gc suns

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Edwards is the only key signing left really, I'm hoping Bolton, Baker and Chol all sign at some point. Ellis looks like hes out the door but we're really in a fantastic position. Houli's eligible for the veterans list next year which will open space
There’s no vets list anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back