List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets rumours 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only concession I’d grant gc to promote local players is they could pre list 3-4 players from academy prior to draft , for nil draft choices. No additional tpp as that creates pressures elsewhere . Building a core of local talent that is intent on staying the journey is what’s req

The only concession I’d grant gc to promote local players is they could pre list 3-4 players from academy prior to draft , for nil draft choices. No additional tpp as that creates pressures elsewhere . Building a core of local talent that is intent on staying the journey is what’s req
Good idea. Send it to the afl. They really need to fix that club. Explore every idea

I dunno. I’d let them have cap room and access to local players if they moved to Tasmania. If they turn that option down then I’d take list spots and academy access from them

No chance in hell I would give up 2 first rounders for taranto.

Hes a young gun, but I wouldnt give up 2 first rounders for anyone who hasnt done it all and then some.

Look at the pies and Treloar for example - We got Rioli and Prestia instead which is much more valuable IMO.
Exactly. Geelong gave up less for Dangerfield and like it or not, Danger was and still is undoubtedly in the top 3 players in the game.

Exactly. Geelong gave up less for Dangerfield and like it or not, Danger was and still is undoubtedly in the top 3 players in the game.
Incomparable. Danger was a free agent and Geelong decided to trade out of goodwill as the trade would provide more to Adelaide than Free Agency compensation would. Taranto is contracted, so to get him out of GWS it would take two first rounders within the top ten to get GWS to the table.

Taranto would be one of the most expensive players in the AFL to obtain through trading. 50 odd games (10 elite years ahead of him), borderline All Australian, a previous top three pick and looks a genuine star in the making (if he’s not already). I don’t think we have the trading currency or cap space to get a deal done.

How s**t this year's FA pool is outside of Coniglio and Hill definitely works in our favour. I can see Ellis being offered way overs by a few desperate teams.

How s**t this year's FA pool is outside of Coniglio and Hill definitely works in our favour. I can see Ellis being offered way overs by a few desperate teams.

Not that I want BEllis gone. But yes. Certain teams need players like him, and should pay overs to get him. So he might set himself up for a long time, and we'd get compo. But let's wait for the chickens to hatch. Brandon might stay for unders. Which is also a good result.

Not that I want BEllis gone. But yes. Certain teams need players like him, and should pay overs to get him. So he might set himself up for a long time, and we'd get compo. But let's wait for the chickens to hatch. Brandon might stay for unders. Which is also a good result.
It’ll be interesting to see how high a team with the cap space will go - 650k 4 or 5 years?? To my way of thinking way overs but if he plays s good finals series and becomes a 2 time premiership player who knows....
If he does get an offer like that it would be nearly impossible to knock back considering at 26 it could be his last

It’ll be interesting to see how high a team with the cap space will go - 650k 4 or 5 years?? To my way of thinking way overs but if he plays s good finals series and becomes a 2 time premiership player who knows....
If he does get an offer like that it would be nearly impossible to knock back considering at 26 it could be his last

For mine he’s not unlike Polec who attracted an offer in region of 700k , like it or not. As they say in classics only takes one club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want us to use have any 1st round picks from now on as they're mostly busts such as Lennon, Cellis and RCD. Prefer we trade into the draft late and continue to pick guns there instead.

Without wishing to be disrespectful, your post is wrong imo. I did a post on the RCD thread detailing the last 13 first round picks we have taken, and it must also be remembered Rance whilst not our first pick in that draft was a first rounder.

RCD way too early to say he is a bust, that is just silly.

Lennon C Ellis were wipeout and near wipeout. Vickery well below par for his position but we did get a decent compensation for him which I think was used for Bolton so by no means a bust, also played over 100 games. Conca I ranked maybe 16 in his draft and we used pick 6 for him but again far from a bust that outcome.

Martin was the best player in his draft.

Rance Riewoldt Cotchin would be top 4 from their drafts comfortably so big big wins there.

Rioli, B Ellis, Vlastuin, Higgins all look really good solid picks who are around par for the pick they were taken in their respective drafts, and have all been really valuable contributors.

We used the other one on Prestia, trading the equivalent of pick 10 for him and he would be right up there in current value versus anyone from that 2016 draft.

So from our top ten picks we get Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Vlastuin, Conca, Vickery(who got us Bolton.). No outright busts, two Brownlows, Plenty of Jacky Dyers, a premiership captain. Four of them played in our flag team(admittedly one was Prestia following the course you are recommending.)

Even from the picks in the teens we get Riewoldt, Rance, Rioli, B Ellis, Professor Higgins, RCD, C Ellis and Lennon. An All Australian skipper who is 5 time All Australian, and another multiple All Australian, two goals of the year, 3 Coleman Medals, one person who inspired the whole club with his Triple H disclosures, one very influential and talented aboriginal player, who has helped pave the way for others behind him who look like being really important players in the club's history, and I have no doubt is a big reason his highly promising cousin looks like choosing Richmond as his destination club.

So from our last 14 first rounders over 13 years we have had two wipeouts, one big disappointment who left us a good gift as he exited, one moderately disappointing return from Conca, and many really good successes. And one, RCD, is way too early to call, though looking a bit in deficit for now.

It is just not realistic to expect that for every pick 20 you get a Nathan Fyfe, and it seems that is the type of expectation by which some people measure every draft pick.

Let's say we activate pick 16 this year, would you not be happy to take the average of Riewoldt, Rance, Rioli, Higgins, B Ellis, C Ellis, Lennon and RCD from that pick? That is the real picture of our drafting of picks in the teens in the last 13 years.

Last edited:
Edwards is the only key signing left really, I'm hoping Bolton, Baker and Chol all sign at some point. Ellis looks like hes out the door but we're really in a fantastic position. Houli's eligible for the veterans list next year which will open space
What benefits do we get from Houli being on the veterans list? I remember in the past that 10 + Year players/veterans had only half of their salary come off the cap. Is that still how it works?

What benefits do we get from Houli being on the veterans list? I remember in the past that 10 + Year players/veterans had only half of their salary come off the cap. Is that still how it works?

Veterans list no longer exists. Got rid of it pretty much after the Hawks and Cat Dynasties were over. Funny that.

Without wishing to be disrespectful, your post is wrong imo. I did a post on the RCD thread detailing the last 13 first round picks we have taken, and it must also be remembered Rance whilst not our first pick in that draft was a first rounder.

RCD way too early to say he is a bust, that is just silly.

Lennon C Ellis were wipeout and near wipeout. Vickery well below par for his position but we did get a decent compensation for him which I think was used for Bolton so by no means a bust, also played over 100 games. Conca I ranked maybe 16 in his draft and we used pick 6 for him but again far from a bust that outcome.

Martin was the best player in his draft.

Rance Riewoldt Cotchin would be to 4 from their drafts comfortably so big big wins there.

Rioli, B Ellis, Vlastuin, Higgins all look really good solid picks who are around par for the pick they were taken in their respective drafts, and have all been really valuable contributors.

We used the other one on Prestia, trading the equivalent of pick 10 for him and he would be right up there in current value versus anyone from that 2016 draft.

So from our top ten picks we get Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Vlastuin, Conca, Vickery(who got us Bolton.). No outright busts, two Brownlows, Plenty of Jacky Dyers, a premiership captain. Four of them played in our flag team(admittedly one was Prestia following the course you are recommending.)

Even from the picks in the teens we get Riewoldt, Rance, Rioli, B Ellis, Professor Higgins, RCD, C Ellis and Lennon. An All Australian skipper who is 5 time All Australian, and another multiple All Australian, two goals of the year, 3 Coleman Medals, one person who inspired the whole club with his Triple H disclosures, one very influential and talented aboriginal player, who has helped pave the way for others behind him who look like being really important players in the club's history, and I have no doubt is a big reason his highly promising cousin looks like choosing Richmond as his destination club.

So from our last 14 first rounders over 13 years we have had two wipeouts, one big disappointment who left us a good gift as he exited, one moderately disappointing return from Conca, and many really good successes. And one, RCD, is way too early to call, though looking a bit in deficit for now.

It is just not realistic to expect that for every pick 20 you get a Nathan Fyfe, and it seems the is the type of expectation by which some people measure every draft pick.

Let's say we activate pick 16 this year, would you not be happy to take the average of Riewoldt, Rance, Rioli, Higgins, B Ellis, C Ellis, Lennon and RCD from that pick? That is the real picture of our drafting of picks in the teens in the last 13 years.
Fair rant that. For mine more flossy types please. Hard-nosed and fiercely loyal.

To be fair you neglected to mention the first rounder we traded out for the meth head. A monumental bust.

Fair rant that. For mine more flossy types please. Hard-nosed and fiercely loyal.

To be fair you neglected to mention the first rounder we traded out for the meth head. A monumental bust.

You are correct I had forgotten that one. It is a bit of a marginal one to assess as was pick 19, which by definition is outside the first round. It was then actually pushed back to pick 23 in the draft. And in effect to us it was two second round picks that we had to trade to GCS to get pick 19. The picks we gave up were in effect pick 36 in 2015 and pick 28 in 2016. Think I am happy to regard that one as at least arguably not a first rounder, but it is a moot point, it was a bad wipeout on two potentially useful second round picks.

I am quite likely wrong :eek:. But I reckon that to do anything significant trade wise we'll have to lose a few players. And I wonder whether the club will try and keep everyone they can for 2020. Then look to end 2020 to swing a few major deals with youngsters more AFL ready and so minimise risk in trading out a mature player or two.

It'd have to be a damn good deal to get us involved I would guess.

Worse actually as we traded 2 second round picks to the Gold Coast get pick 19

2015 2nd round pick on traded to West Coast and used on Tom Cole
2016 2nd round pick on traded to WB and used to get Patrick Lipinski.

I am quite likely wrong :eek:. But I reckon that to do anything significant trade wise we'll have to lose a few players. And I wonder whether the club will try and keep everyone they can for 2020. Then look to end 2020 to swing a few major deals with youngsters more AFL ready and so minimise risk in trading out a mature player or two.

It'd have to be a damn good deal to get us involved I would guess.
If we lose Ellis we could probably get someone on a back loaded contract under the assumption that Rance and Riewoldt retire in the next few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back