List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like the Cats are still keen on Brander.
Herald Sun.

Mystery Eagle who could hold the key to Kelly deal

Jarrod Brander

The athletic 195cm key forward from Geelong Grammar/Bendigo was taken pick No. 13 by West Coast two years ago. When the Eagles asked for Tim Kelly in a trade last year, the Cats put up Brander’s name as a potential swap, but West Coast rejected that idea. The Eagles are still keen on Kelly, and the Cats still like Brander to help replenish their key position stocks.

This will come down to how much the Cats get into his ear. If Brander and his manager go to the Eagles and ask to be considered in a trade that could be it. Hopefully Brander is happy to do his apprentership and stay.

If the Cats convince Brander to ask for a trade if I was the club I would act furious that they approached a contracted player without our concent and say Brander plus the Swans 2nd. If they want another 1st it can be next years and we keep the Swans 2nd.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Not keen at all in letting brander go

Would always rather draft picks

Nelson or Cole could be expendable, bit that's as far as I'd go, which is steaknives.

And not interested in decimating 2 x drafts either.

On the flipside, we are terrible in drafting any midfielders of note, from round 2 and onwards.

Yep, would rather go to the draft, thank you very much.
BTW, any rumours out yet about our new list manager and who it is likely to be?

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, would rather go to the draft, thank you very much.
BTW, any rumours out yet about our new list manager and who it is likely to be?

45811.jpg

Only bigfooty rumours at this stage :)

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If
This will come down to how much the Cats get into his ear. If Brander and his manager go to the Eagles and ask to be considered in a trade that could be it. Hopefully Brander is happy to do his apprentership and stay.

If the Cats convince Brander to ask for a trade if I was the club I would act furious that they approached a contracted player without our concent and say Brander plus the Swans 2nd. If they want another 1st it can be next years and we keep the Swans 2nd.
If the club was going to use Brander as a trade they would have done it last year and had Kelly on our list now.
So it's a no from me on the club being willing to trade Brander.

Mystery Eagle who could hold the key to Kelly deal

Jarrod Brander

The athletic 195cm key forward from Geelong Grammar/Bendigo was taken pick No. 13 by West Coast two years ago. When Tim Kelly asked to join the all-conquering Eagles in a trade last year, the Cats put up Brander’s name as a potential swap, but West Coast rejected that idea. Kelly is still keen to join the mighty Eagles, and the Cats still like Brander to help replenish their key position stocks.
Fixed it for them

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, people jumped on 'not matching' and assumed that meant he could just walk out the door.

GWS as is prudent will do the best thing by GWS. They won't hold a gun to Coniglio's head and force him to stay, but they will look to get the best return should he elect to go. The compo tops out at a single first round pick so offering squillions doesn't benefit either club. GWS could get pick 15-20 as compo, or they could try and get something better than that from us. Also footy is a closed system, so even if they got our pick instead of a compo pick that's essentially the same that's taking from a rival rather than from the AFL cookie jar. They aren't petty but if the scenario was reversed would we want a rival signing Gaff or McGovern and having a first round pick when we could get that pick off them?

IMO the biggest win for GWS will come from academy bidding, either getting in ahead of any players bid on or trading down and then back up the order.
Yes. You are on the money there.
They are after Tom Green, Matt McGorrey and Liam Delahunty from their academy and it's going to take a swag of picks to get them all over the line.
Some smart trading offers could result in GWS willing to talk turkey.
The looming problem is not so much Coniglio as they have about 10 quality mids; It is Cameron who is a free agent next year. This will require salary cap space and a Haul Pack full of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back