List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Was always very unlikely to happen. WA boy playing for the best WA team in a flag window going to a bottom 8 team in Victoria.

The money $$ may have been tempting and could have slotted in well at the Bulldogs with Naughton ,Schache up forward and made the Bulldogs a genuine Top 8 —4 team ..

I’m glad he stays though and could really break out when JK retires ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Makes sense to trade Brander for Kelly but damn what a waste. Could’ve just the same result taking Allen and Kelly with our first two picks, as many of the Phantoms predicted.

Couldn't agree more. We could've had Kelly on our list in both 2018 and 2019 for far less than what we will have to pay him now. This is unfortunate for Kelly as well - could've been a 2 time premiership player at the end of 2019.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Couldn't agree more. We could've had Kelly on our list in both 2018 and 2019 for far less than what we will have to pay him now. This is unfortunate for Kelly as well - could've been a 2 time premiership player at the end of 2019.

Problem was back then Tim was just a WAFL plodder with poor skills. Literally the exact kind of player that we avoid.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Who would you take at Pick 17 that’s available from MOckdraft ?

Hard to pass up on Jackson as I think he's the only elite talent left so far, but he's not one of our priority needs as we took Williams last year. Similar athletic profiles too, I'd see if he fell to our next pick (Swans 2nd round).
Rivers another strong consideration, as he's very very good player but had he played some midfield minutes through the champs I'd be more likely.

I think we need a good young all round midfielder, as Foley, Ainsworth, O'Neil aren't convincing me and Brayshaw needs a clean run of footy to get a good view on him. So Schoenberg would be my pick, rather than just looking like Luke Shuey he actually plays plays like him (can play inside and outside). Speed, but is also the first to every stoppage, nice kick and hands plus can accumulate, second to Robertson for most disposals over the championships averaging 27, 4.8 marks, 4.8 tackles and 5.8 clearances. Watching him over the championships, he had so much impact on every game for SA.

Added a little video I found on him.

But Monocle has someone else in mind I reckon.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hard to pass up on Jackson as I think he's the only elite talent left so far, but he's not one of our priority needs as we took Williams last year. Similar athletic profiles too, I'd see if he fell to our next pick (Swans 2nd round).
Rivers another strong consideration, as he's very very good player but had he played some midfield minutes through the champs I'd be more likely.

I think we need a good young all round midfielder, as Foley, Ainsworth, O'Neil aren't convincing me and Brayshaw needs a clean run of footy to get a good view on him. So Schoenberg would be my pick, rather than just looking like Luke Shuey he actually plays plays like him (can play inside and outside). Speed, but is also the first to every stoppage, nice kick and hands plus can accumulate, second to Robertson for most disposals over the championships averaging 27, 4.8 marks, 4.8 tackles and 5.8 clearances. Watching him over the championships, he had so much impact on every game for SA.

But Monocle has someone else in mind I reckon.

I like Harry Schoenberg uses the ball really well by hand and foot ..He can also step through traffic..
At this stage I would agree ..

On Monocle he will probably go Jeremy Sharp as a guess he seems to be tanking a little imo and would be Wce selection if available ..

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I like Harry Schoenberg uses the ball really well by hand and foot ..He can also step through traffic..
At this stage I would agree ..

On Monocle he will probably go Jeremy Sharp as a guess he seems to be tanking a little imo and would be Wce selection if available ..

I really like Sharp, but reckon he might slide to our next pick so I'd wait.

As Monocle's pick next up, and I can't give anything away. He'll go Cooper Stephens, Vic Country co captain but missed the champs with a broken fibula. Inside mid who was touted to go 14-18 in draft at start of year.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Makes sense to trade Brander for Kelly but damn what a waste. Could’ve just the same result taking Allen and Kelly with our first two picks, as many of the Phantoms predicted.

You have to remember though - many thought that us taking Oscar Allen at 13 would've been a reach (considering our needs). Many on here wanted mids with our first picks, and there were actually a couple melts (if I remember correctly). Personally, I wished we'd taken him with our first, since I knew Kelly wouldn't last past Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I really like Sharp, but reckon he might slide to our next pick so I'd wait.

As Monocle's pick next up, and I can't give anything away. He'll go Cooper Stephens, Vic Country co captain but missed the champs with a broken fibula. Inside mid who was touted to go 14-18 in draft at start of year.

Would drafting a injured Midfielder early put Wce off picking up another injured player in Garcia ??
One although not ideal is acceptable but two injured players would be pushing our luck ..

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not in 2017. Think we got all those picks from GCS specifically for Allen (if he slided), Kelly and Ryan.

I'm certain we did that GC trade with Kelly and Ryan in particular in mind.

Sliding doors and all that, but if Brander (who we rated super highly) wasn't available at 13 we probably would have gone Allen, then when Allen was still available at our next pick we couldn't miss out on him. Then when the Cats jumped on Kelly we probably went earlier than expected to not miss out on Ryan as well.

Who knows how it would've worked out had Brander already been taken, but considering we won the flag I'm pretty happy with it.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He got better in 2017, but he didn't look like a "plodder with poor skills" in 16 either

By 'better' do you mean a 50-100% increase?

His numbers for 2016 were the same as 2014-15. He was nothing special just your typical WAFL mid.

He had a massive breakout year in 2017 and got drafted (in the 2nd round mind you) accordingly.

Just don't like this revisionist history where suddenly every poster in claiming Kelly was an obvious get years before he was drafted. No he was not.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You have to remember though - many thought that us taking Oscar Allen at 13 would've been a reach (considering our needs). Many on here wanted mids with our first picks, and there were actually a couple melts (if I remember correctly). Personally, I wished we'd taken him with our first, since I knew Kelly wouldn't last past Geelong.
No doubt we wanted a mid with the first pick and I melted for not taking Higgins (I thought he projected as a mid :rolleyes:) but whether we took Allen or Brander first was going to appear equally reachy. I think a few people expected us to take Allen and people were generally open to that as there was a silly assumption that he was going to be the BBIMWBLF

So whether we took Allen first or Brander, wouldn’t have made any real difference. I still don’t really get why we took two KPFs with our first two picks given we were never going to have the space to develop them (we still had Waterman to squeeze in somewhere and had traded in Vardy).

It’s hindsight 101 of course but if it’s all looking more and more likely that we will ultimately pay a lot for Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back