List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
A guy on here HT says Kelly is resigning and buying a house in Geelong apparently it’s because Rawlings has left ..

So we should just focus on getting Coniglio ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes and he's got a good track record for getting things right too, some say it's because he knows Blaine, some say it's because he is Blaine, some say it's because he's Kim Hagdorn, some say he just has a really good physio. We may never know the truth.

Last edited:

Dale Doback

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I'd rather chase Coniglio as a free agent this year and keep our future picks for English. Coniglio's 26 in December. Kelly's 25 this month so there's no real difference to the timelines, both in their primes for another 4 years

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
there's no real difference to the timelines

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Coniglio actually gettable though? Pretty much every single report that I have seen is saying the same thing: he is happy at GWS and doesn't want to leave

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd rather chase Coniglio as a free agent this year and keep our future picks for English. Coniglio's 26 in December. Kelly's 25 this month so there's no real difference to the timelines, both in their primes for another 4 years
I don't see how we can offer Coniglio a deal that GWS won't just match, at least to force a trade

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
That's not how it works. He's a restricted free agent so GWS can match the contract and then if Coniglio still wants to leave we have to come up with a trade that satisfies GWS
I’m not sure where but I did see a press release from GWS that said it did not intend to match any offers for Coniglio should he request to leave.
I may be wrong but it does ring a bell.

Wadsworth

Fold the Eagles
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m not sure where but I did see a press release from GWS that said it did not intend to match any offers for Coniglio should he request to leave.
I may be wrong but it does ring a bell.
I believe the article said that they’d facilitate a move if he wanted to sign elsewhere. That is, they would trade for draft picks, rather than match and force him to stay. They will absolutely get every bit of compensation (more than just a compo pick) that they can extract if they let him leave.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I believe the article said that they’d facilitate a move if he wanted to sign elsewhere. That is, they would trade for draft picks, rather than match and force him to stay. They will absolutely get every bit of compensation (more than just a compo pick) that they can extract if they let him leave.
And the FA compensation would probably be a pick 15-20. So it's a matter of incrementally sweetening that deal.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Yep, people jumped on 'not matching' and assumed that meant he could just walk out the door.

GWS as is prudent will do the best thing by GWS. They won't hold a gun to Coniglio's head and force him to stay, but they will look to get the best return should he elect to go. The compo tops out at a single first round pick so offering squillions doesn't benefit either club. GWS could get pick 15-20 as compo, or they could try and get something better than that from us. Also footy is a closed system, so even if they got our pick instead of a compo pick that's essentially the same that's taking from a rival rather than from the AFL cookie jar. They aren't petty but if the scenario was reversed would we want a rival signing Gaff or McGovern and having a first round pick when we could get that pick off them?

IMO the biggest win for GWS will come from academy bidding, either getting in ahead of any players bid on or trading down and then back up the order.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like the Cats are still keen on Brander.
Herald Sun.

Mystery Eagle who could hold the key to Kelly deal

Jarrod Brander

The athletic 195cm key forward from Geelong Grammar/Bendigo was taken pick No. 13 by West Coast two years ago. When the Eagles asked for Tim Kelly in a trade last year, the Cats put up Brander’s name as a potential swap, but West Coast rejected that idea. The Eagles are still keen on Kelly, and the Cats still like Brander to help replenish their key position stocks.

Swarhily

All Australian
Aug 4, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Looks like the Cats are still keen on Brander.
Herald Sun.

Mystery Eagle who could hold the key to Kelly deal

Jarrod Brander

The athletic 195cm key forward from Geelong Grammar/Bendigo was taken pick No. 13 by West Coast two years ago. When the Eagles asked for Tim Kelly in a trade last year, the Cats put up Brander’s name as a potential swap, but West Coast rejected that idea. The Eagles are still keen on Kelly, and the Cats still like Brander to help replenish their key position stocks.

Mystery Eagle ffs I hate the Herald Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back