List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I read today that Schofield and Masten have been told they are free to explore their options at the end of the year and will probably be offered one year deals.

Sounds reasonable for a pair of 30 year olds in the 15th-25th player bracket but strange timing leading up to a semi final...

The future of premiership Eagles Chris Masten and Will Schofield have been told they’re free to explore their trade options with their West Coast futures set to only become clearer after the club’s 2019 campaign ends, reports AFL Media.

Masten and Schofield were integral members of West Coast’s 2018 premiership side, but both players have spent some time in the WAFL this season.

Both 30-year-old players are unrestricted free agents at season’s end.

AFL Media reported on Wednesday that Schofield and Masten could be offered one-year deals, but the Eagles have also given them the green light to suss out rival clubs — if they want — if they believe their futures aren’t at the Eagles.

I suppose it’s a nice way of looking after them, saying here’s some one year deals but if you want longer ones you’re free to go look, but man...I wouldn’t be messing around (especially with Schofield) on some key 23-30th player decision making while we’re in a window.

Last edited:

So I read today that Schofield and Masten have been told they are free to explore their options at the end of the year and will probably be offered one year deals.

Sounds reasonable for a pair of 30 year olds in the 15th-25th player bracket but strange timing leading up to a semi final...
They probably read that here.

Sounds very much like freeing up cap space and giving the young up and comers more game time.

We will offer you a 1yr deal on reduced money as in all likelyhood you will be played as depth players next season. We are being honest and up front. If you want to look at better deals elsewhere we understand.

I suppose it’s a nice way of looking after them, saying here’s some one year deals but if you want longer ones you’re free to go look, but man...I wouldn’t be messing around (especially with Schofield) on some key 23-30th player decision making while we’re in a window.

From memory that's pretty much what happened to Quinten Lynch at the tail end of his career when he ended up at Collingwood.

Sounds very much like freeing up cap space and giving the young up and comers more game time.

We will offer you a 1yr deal on reduced money as in all likelyhood you will be played as depth players next season. We are being honest and up front. If you want to look at better deals elsewhere we understand.

Nothing wrong with the strategy, but the timing is off. Is Will Schofield really going to get on the phone to his agent from the airport as he's flying to Melbourne?

They've really been depth players for a while. Schofield has played 10, 12, 13 games the last 3 years, Masten 13, 24, 16.

I don't think either are the sort of players that teams will want to offer 2-3 years to. Happy to keep both around on one year deals.

No great shock that it's come out, at this stage of the year players out of contract would know what's in front of them, there managers would be busy behind the scenes looking for interest at all other teams.

I’m glad that we offer our veterans 1 year deals at the end of their careers instead of just retiring them in press conferences without telling them first
Probably be hard not to offer them contracts
We have next to no midfield depth and the backline functions better with Schofield in it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just because it's been reported now doesn't mean they weren't told weeks ago. I'm sure players would be in constant dialogue with the club regarding the likelihood of future contracts, especially when they are veterans.

Exactly this. It’s reported now but it’s not like the players are finding out now.

“Alright guys, now Geelong usually line up at stoppages like this. So Tommy, make sure you stay goal side of your man. Jackson, push Gaz wide at every opportunity. Schoey, you’ve got Hawkins so you’re going to want to make sure you’re gauging any interest in another club signing you long term, and Shep just drop back and fill the hole at all costs.”
“Sorry Simmo, what was that?”
“I was just saying that Shep needs to drop back whenever he can.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not what my girlfriend tells me

Standing is fun, but all wrong for your problem.

Lie down to reduce shrinkage & being on top provides a gravity benefit.

As Sherlock would say, its elementary (he also said "I trust that age doth not wither nor custom stale my infinite variety.”).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back