Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
He's good but he's not worth 800k

Interesting.

• "Everyone’s got their own circumstances, but we’d be silly not to be creative in our thinking in order to keep a good player like Tim Kelly.”
The same report said the deal, if accepted, would see Kelly’s salary increase to $800,000 in 2020, which would put him among the four highest paid Geelong players.

• The Age also reported Geelong had put a longer term offer to Kelly — which reportedly didn’t sit well with the player as he ponders the prospect of returning home to WA — prior to the recent one-year offer.
But Kelly’s manager Anthony van der Wielen told the Herald Sun the Cats were yet to put official figures to him, saying parties were “really just talking a framework”.
“How can we get creative and what would it mean for a commitment. It is really just talking very openly and honestly about what are our options,” van der Wielen said.
  • The Herald Sun reported Kelly’s management had asked the Cats to work on a unique contract that would provide the midfielder with long-term security but flexibility to request a trade during the middle of his contract.

So from that, if credible, you can infer the following:
  • Kelly rejected Geelong's initial contract offer without even considering a dollar figure due to its length.
  • Geelong must be very worried about losing him if they are publicly admitting they are only offering a single year contract.

To me it sounds like he still is determined to leave but is making sure he has an insurance policy this time around if the trade fails to occur again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So my 2nd confirmation in a week...

A very close lifetime indigenous friend of mine a week ago spoke to Tims Mum. Said hes buying a house soon in Geelong.

Then yesterday Tims 1st cousin came to my Nans funeral as did the Ballantyne family. Again Tim is buying a house in Geelong.

Time to move on from Tim Kelly...

And last years prelim final i attended with the Kellys and Bynders (Patrick Bynder) who designed our indigenous jersey...My Brother in law is family of Bynders/Coles. Thanks to him i got my ticket from the family.
Well he must be spending up big. i also heard that he was buying Kardinia Park just for his dog to run around in it being only a stones throw from his new house.

Max zero

Premium Platinum
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember you were opposed to us drafting Kelly. You were the bloke that gave us the theory that you can’t draft elite midfielders in the second round 😂

You’ve been clearly proven wrong. That’s ok, we all get it wrong from time to time. But spare us your bullsh#t revisionism, offered in a desperate attempt to justify the opinion you held last year.
Are you sure?

Because I rarely suggest (ever?) players to draft. My general rule is trust the recruiters because they see these kids much more then I do.

But hey if you find me saying that we shouldn't draft Kelly I am happy to see a quote.

But don't make up s**t.

eagles rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
LAKERS Now
So my 2nd confirmation in a week...

A very close lifetime indigenous friend of mine a week ago spoke to Tims Mum. Said hes buying a house soon in Geelong.

Then yesterday Tims 1st cousin came to my Nans funeral as did the Ballantyne family. Again Tim is buying a house in Geelong.

Time to move on from Tim Kelly...

And last years prelim final i attended with the Kellys and Bynders (Patrick Bynder) who designed our indigenous jersey...My Brother in law is family of Bynders/Coles. Thanks to him i got my ticket from the family.
This has a ring of truth to it so bad and good news as well ..

Bad that wce can miss on Kelly but Good news if we all can move on as well ..

Priddis Is Done

Premiership Player
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you sure?

Because I rarely suggest (ever?) players to draft. My general rule is trust the recruiters because they see these kids much more then I do.

But hey if you find me saying that we shouldn't draft Kelly I am happy to see a quote.

But don't make up s**t.
Gunner, is that you ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max zero

Premium Platinum
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly was a diamond in the rough. Recruiters are heavily biased to junior pathways. If blokes miss out on getting drafted in their under 18 year it gets much harder.

Kelly had injury problems that held him back in his under 18 year and after that. He had a full-time job as an electrician and a young family.

Nobody who saw him play in the WAFL would describe him as a plodder. It was a stupid comment.
Moved it over to the 2019 thread.

He played 12 games in his debut season. He then played 58 of 60 possible matches in the next 3 seasons before his breakout. How is that being held back by injury?

Each of those years were very consistant:

www.waflfootyfacts.net/player/stats.php?PlayerID=3431#

He was a run of the mill WAFL player. He was stagnating and getting older hence why no recruiters were interested. Plodder while an unkind term it wasn't inaccurate.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
I really like Sharp, but reckon he might slide to our next pick so I'd wait.

As Monocle's pick next up, and I can't give anything away. He'll go Cooper Stephens, Vic Country co captain but missed the champs with a broken fibula. Inside mid who was touted to go 14-18 in draft at start of year.
Monocle had been big on him so you predicted it right. I like the idea of going for a pure balanced mid early afternoon we have missed out going top quality mid since Sheed. At the end of last year, a number of more reputable posters had Cooper inside the top 10.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
God I hope a Kelly decision is made early, whether it be to stay or leave, so it doesn't overshadow everything else. Same with Coniglio
Since Cogs is a RFA, that decision should be the weekend prior to trading opening and a trade should be more straight forward as GWS will value the points more than Geelong. I suspect they will ask for Brander and our first rounder. I’d try to counter with Sydney’s second rounder. That would leave us with 2020 picks in tact and our first, our second and Saints fourth.

plays tall 1

All Australian
Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
Moved it over to the 2019 thread.

He played 12 games in his debut season. He then played 58 of 60 possible matches in the next 3 seasons before his breakout. How is that being held back by injury?

Each of those years were very consistant:

www.waflfootyfacts.net/player/stats.php?PlayerID=3431#

He was a run of the mill WAFL player. He was stagnating and getting older hence why no recruiters were interested. Plodder while an unkind term it wasn't inaccurate.
No, “plodder” is a ridiculous description of him. Did you ever see him play in the WAFL?

Here’s a short summary of years 2012-2017

Second in the Sandover 45 votes

Made State debut

7th in SF B&F

28 votes in the Sandover
Second in the club B&F

WAFL debut
Invited to the AFL draft combine so at 5 clubs had put him forward

Playing colts -missed 2 months with torn oblique
Then MCL tear and missed finals

Max zero

Premium Platinum
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No, “plodder” is a ridiculous description of him. Did you ever see him play in the WAFL?

Here’s a short summary of years 2012-2017

Second in the Sandover 45 votes

Made State debut

7th in SF B&F

28 votes in the Sandover
Second in the club B&F

WAFL debut
Invited to the AFL draft combine so at 5 clubs had put him forward

Playing colts -missed 2 months with torn oblique
Then MCL tear and missed finals
Was that supposed to be impressive?

Apparently recruiters agreed because he still didn't get drafted till 2017 when he had a breakout year.

But hey you watched a couple of WAFL games so you know better.

Top Bottom