List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you explain the Vardy salary dump to GWS?

Re Cogs and RFA. GWS said they would not hold a player against their will, the wording of their statement left the compensation question deliberately blank. Apart from the injury question marked Sculley, GWS have extracted pretty good currency for their players that leave.

Your draft is predicated on getting Cogs for free which is not how I am expecting it to fall out. If I was in GWS list management, I would want Brander at a discount (traded as a late second rounder) and the first round compo pick from the AFL as a bare minimum.
I think we are barking up the wrong tree in chasing high profile players via trade. The cost is too much and will effect our drafting and trading for years beyond this season.
The time has never been better to use our status as reigning premiers to attract some disgruntled Eastern staters who are wallowing in underperforming teams.
I have mentioned Steel from the Saints.
Or similar type players may be enticed to venture West with the right deal

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
Early on his disposal was actually pretty good ( Same can be said of Cerra and Brayshaw). They dont do not practice skills like we do and i bet we could turn it around.
The knock on Blakey in his draft was his disposal efficiency. I think that came from Bond007. He hasn't fixed it yet he's now 23. IMHO - too late to change

Yamumluvsbigcox

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2012
Trapped in a glass box of emotion
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you explain the Vardy salary dump to GWS?
Well its not actually a salary dump its just a way of giving them vardy for free .

Gws at this stage may end up with pick 11-12 .
So coniglio compo not horrible

Maybe even vardy as steak knives in a pick trade in gws favour

They are desperate for a ruck mumford cooked , lobb gone , simpson 16 games in 3 years also 31 , flynn just did his ACL .

Vardy is a proven afl player who is still in his prime unlike mumford or ryder

WCE_phil

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Well its not actually a salary dump its just a way of giving them vardy for free .

Gws at this stage may end up with pick 11-12 .
So coniglio compo not horrible

Maybe even vardy as steak knives in a pick trade in gws favour

They are desperate for a ruck mumford cooked , lobb gone , simpson 16 games in 3 years also 31 , flynn just did his ACL .

Vardy is a proven afl player who is still in his prime unlike mumford or ryder
This is going to sound blasphemous but if it meant getting coniglio i'd give up brander and vardy for GWS 2nd rounder if it meant they didn't match. Would allow us to trade in Kelly and then potentially say Acres with our second rounder this year.

Lose brander, vardy, 2019 first, 2020 first, 2019 second.
In Coniglio, Kelly, Acres, Swans second rounder, GWS second rounder.

Keep brooksby around, pick up a developing ruck late in the draft. We could easily fit them all into the side. May even allow someone like shuey to finish up his career at HB where his skills on both feet solve that future issue temporarily as well.

Would also allow us to either drop masten completely or delist and pick up as a rookie if no-one wants him.

All completely unlikely but it's nice to dream

Avalor

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
I believe Oscar was playing that role
Nah, on the couch highlighted it this week with replay footage, and they took potshots at JK for his diminishing stats and work rate. Mind you, the stats were horrific, and are very concerning for the run in to finals. Simmo said he would have a talk to JK - I hope he has, and that there is a reaction this weekend.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2012
Trapped in a glass box of emotion
AFL Club
West Coast
This is going to sound blasphemous but if it meant getting coniglio i'd give up brander and vardy for GWS 2nd rounder if it meant they didn't match. Would allow us to trade in Kelly and then potentially say Acres with our second rounder this year.

Lose brander, vardy, 2019 first, 2020 first, 2019 second.
In Coniglio, Kelly, Acres, Swans second rounder, GWS second rounder.

Keep brooksby around, pick up a developing ruck late in the draft. We could easily fit them all into the side. May even allow someone like shuey to finish up his career at HB where his skills on both feet solve that future issue temporarily as well.

Would also allow us to either drop masten completely or delist and pick up as a rookie if no-one wants him.

All completely unlikely but it's nice to dream
I dont want to lose brander . We would also have too many mids and most on big salaries.

Yeo shuey gaff sheed redden and coniglio would be s**t hot but it would mean redden and sheed wont get much on ball time .

Kelly would be a very expensive luxury.

Better off going for a guy like acres . Much cheaper in salary/ picks playing wing/flank who will be 26 and primed for on ball once shuey redden retire .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE_phil

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont want to lose brander . We would also have too many mids and most on big salaries.

Yeo shuey gaff sheed redden and coniglio would be s**t hot but it would mean redden and sheed wont get much on ball time .

Kelly would be a very expensive luxury.

Better off going for a guy like acres . Much cheaper in salary/ picks playing wing/flank who will be 26 and primed for on ball once shuey redden retire .
I then see Redden playing hutchings role. Acres playing masten's role and Kelly and Shuey alternating between the middle and HFF. Coniglio, Yeo and one of Shuey/Kelly is our centre square start. Sort of like the days of Kerr as the super sub.

What does those 3 bring to our 22 as it stands going into next year. It moves hutchings, masten out of the side and next in line for a midfield injury/role along with development of those we have on our list.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Jetta Mcgovern Duggan
C Acres Coniglio Gaff
HF Kelly Darling Cripps
FF Ryan Kennedy Rioli
R Nicnat Shuey Yeo
I Hickey Sheed Redden Cole
E: Masten, Schofield, Waterman, Oallen, Hutchings, Nelson, Cameron, Petrucelle, Rotham

31 AFL level ready to go players. Coverage for small and mid sized forwards and defenders. Coverage for key talls isn't as strong however Waterman could very easily play CHF with darling at FF and Oscar as a swingman. Schofield gets another year as depth key defender/match up player and we play 2 rucks.

Yes we essentially lose 3 first round draft picks and a second round pick. However it gives us a stronger best 22, stronger depth and still leaves us with 2 second round picks in this years draft. Remembering that 4 of those players are likely off our list going into 2021 in Jetta, Kennedy, Masten and Schofield. Then likely to lose Hurn the year after.

People suggesting it leaves us short on talls moving forwards. Williams is a genuine FF/second ruck option and we'd then play dual CHF/ marking talls up the ground in the future of Allen and Waterman and thats only once darling is gone which at this stage is probably another 5 seasons away. Harry Edwards developing down back, brooksby is worthy depth as a ruck choice and Rotham in the future could very easily play third tall down back.

WCE_phil

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
TBH I personally think anyone expecting a like for like Kennedy replacement is delusional. He's been our best key forward in 30 years. We're not going to pull a fully formed one straight out of our arse.

If Kennedy Retired tomorrow I'd drop one small/mid sized forward and have both Waterman and Allen in the side. It's probably the best we're going to get and targetting key talls is nigh on impossible.

Dark Sharks

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2011
Darling and our 2nd for Ellis Yolman
AFL Club
West Coast
TBH I personally think anyone expecting a like for like Kennedy replacement is delusional. He's been our best key forward in 30 years. We're not going to pull a fully formed one straight out of our arse.

If Kennedy Retired tomorrow I'd drop one small/mid sized forward and have both Waterman and Allen in the side. It's probably the best we're going to get and targetting key talls is nigh on impossible.
Would probably help if we actually played our next key forward saviour in the forward line rather than on a wing for starters..

Image result for shake head wtf reaction gif

Regardless of whether he stays or goes i'm genuinely curious to see if we've bundled the development of the best KPP in the 2017 draft.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
I see Connor Blakey is holding off signing a new contract. He could end up being a decent mid and not wasted down back like he is at Freo.
There is a reason he is down back and it is his kicking. I cannot see him being a midfielder.

Down back, we have Shep/Barrass/Hurn then Duggs/Gov/Jets with Nelson, Cole and Rotham all ahead of Blakey. Hell, Mutimer may even be ahead of him.

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So the latest from the Kelly trade thread.

Kelly is worth more than any of Gaff, Yeo, Shuey or McGovern.

I woulds say he's pretty bloody close in value to any of Gaff, Yeo or Shuey. Not much separating them at all, maybe Shuey a tad lower only due to age not output.

But there is a reason Gov is paid more than any of them.

equiv_clearly

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Would probably help if we actually played our next key forward saviour in the forward line rather than on a wing for starters..

Image result for shake head wtf reaction gif

Regardless of whether he stays or goes i'm genuinely curious to see if we've bundled the development of the best KPP in the 2017 draft.
He was the best KPP player taken at pick 13 in a supposedly weak draft, when gun KPPs are generally taken top 5. So I think our expectations need to be tempered a bit.

And even the outright pre-draft KPP heroes take time to develop or don't at all... Weideman, Weitering, Schache? McCartin etc.

He's trying to break into a team stacked with tall talent and is only 20. I'd back our development, it's just going to take time.

new breed

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Brander looks talented , versatile really if he wishes to stay with us he stays ..., If not then a swap offer with T Kelly and we add a little more may be okay .

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Is brooksby injured or out of form? I think he'll be delisted a years end.he cant crack a game even this week!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Is brooksby injured or out of form? I think he'll be delisted a years end.he cant crack a game even this week!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I think he is seen as a last resort, use in case of bulk injuries player. Like big frase has been.

I thought he may have been selected this week but they are obviously prioritising Williams over him.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think he is seen as a last resort, use in case of bulk injuries player. Like big frase has been.

I thought he may have been selected this week but they are obviously prioritising Williams over him.
Don’t forget Williams has had a great last month which probably puts him just ahead of Brooksby being a long term prospect

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He was the best KPP player taken at pick 13 in a supposedly weak draft, when gun KPPs are generally taken top 5. So I think our expectations need to be tempered a bit.

And even the outright pre-draft KPP heroes take time to develop or don't at all... Weideman, Weitering, Schache? McCartin etc.

He's trying to break into a team stacked with tall talent and is only 20. I'd back our development, it's just going to take time.
You missed his point, that we're playing Brander in the WAFL as a wing instead of as a key forward (or even key back), so how the hell is he even supposed to develop his game as a forward?

Top Bottom