List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can learn anything from the Judd trade don't trade away your future gun CHF/FF for a mid, even though thry mighy be the best in thr league.

Would be pi**ed if we traded Brander for Kelly.
I don't agree with that. You can make plenty of arguments the other way about players who looked like they were going to be something and just never made the transition to AFL. Everyone was excited about Tony Notte at one point.

It's human nature to be loss averse, likewise everyone is scared of giving up a player who turns out to be a gun. But you can't hoard all your players and at some point you have to make a judgment call with trades and be prepared to get it wrong.

Unfortunately there's no reward for teams who trade away players smartly. No one claps West Coast on the back for trading away Andrew McDougall, or Essendon for the returns they got on Jake Carlisle/Andrew Lovett. And I could probably spend the whole afternoon looking for similar trades that worked out great for the team selling but the point is they are barely talked about in comparison to the occasions where a team sold a gun (Tom Mitchell, Josh P Kennedy).

I hope Brander develops into a gun with us but I am more than happy for the club to make an honest assessment on what they've seen so far and make a decision from there.

I agree, in that is appears very unlikely Brander becomes a JK replacement. I think he plays his better footy much higher up the ground and I also think Oallen is a much better contested mark(even though he drops a few atm)

Still I really like what I have seen and think there is a very high ceiling on what he maybe able to produce once given a good run at AFL
Oallen is a better contested mark, but Brander is a big boy. I think once he starts clunking a few he'll be a gun. Super-slick mover.

Great news all round. We can’t fit in TK at the club now Darling re-signed until 2024
Wouldn’t be so quick as to write that off just yet

Great news all round. We can’t fit in TK at the club now Darling re-signed until 2024
Disagree with that one. What makes you think we re finalising our list to ensure we can put enough aside for an offer to TK or SC. It is called responsible financial management of the cap space. You look at the good NFL sides, they are usually very active re-signing players just before they get a free agent deal. Recently we have been very active at the top end of the players.

Join the dots!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never guess who this is responding to the Darling news:

"What are we signing Jack for when we really need another A grade ruckmen. You know you can never have enough A grade ruckmen.

Oh, have I told you that Hickey is no good?"

Perhaps if I keep this banging on about the same point for another 15 pages then it might let the cat out of the hat.

00fe64a23ed0bf989e1dccec38e49eac.jpeg

If we can learn anything from the Judd trade don't trade away your future gun CHF/FF for a mid, even though thry mighy be the best in thr league.

Would be pi**ed if we traded Brander for Kelly.
Agreed.
It takes some clubs decades to secure good key position players.
The AFL is littered with desperate clubs trading for underperforming or troubled talls who invariably fail.
Mids are a dime a dozen. Our own situation should tell us that. Two years ago we had a struggling midfield;now out of nowhere we have one of the best in the competition.
Traditionally talls take a few years to develop but it is something we are very good at WC.
The old adage “ Secure your talls and you can always build a team around them” will continue to keep us competitive for years to come.
Put our trust in our list management and recruitment teams.
They have done well by us with out the benefit of top draft picks in recent years.
People tend to forget that our last 3 top ten picks were not needed to win last years premiership.
Naitanui, Sheppard and Gaff were the only top ten picks in the last nine years and we still won the cup with players we drafted and traded outside this parameter.

I agree, in that is appears very unlikely Brander becomes a JK replacement. I think he plays his better footy much higher up the ground and I also think Oallen is a much better contested mark(even though he drops a few atm)

Still I really like what I have seen and think there is a very high ceiling on what he maybe able to produce once given a good run at AFL
Maybe , just maybe we see Brander as more than a stay at home full forward
We will end up with a more rounded player going forward
Don’t underestimate the clubs development strategies for talls. They have possibly the best track record for that in the AFL
People tend to forget the debate the fans had over where the Gov would end up. But in the end he ended up a 3 times AA KPD . Trust the club.
Brander will be fine.

Maybe , just maybe we see Brander as more than a stay at home full forward
We will end up with a more rounded player going forward
Don’t underestimate the clubs development strategies for talls. They have possibly the best track record for that in the AFL
People tend to forget the debate the fans had over where the Gov would end up. But in the end he ended up a 3 times AA KPD . Trust the club.
Brander will be fine.

I think we are saying the same. Basically Brander looks good, but probably not as a stay at home FF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back