List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think comment re O'Neill is unwarranted. 1st yr player in another state learning running patterns & playing style.
Will become a good midfielder - give him timešŸ–
He also missed a significant chunk of preseason which set him back I feel. I like what he does when he gets the ball and hopefully with an uninterrupted preseason he can set himself up to find it more often

He also missed a significant chunk of preseason which set him back I feel. I like what he does when he gets the ball and hopefully with an uninterrupted preseason he can set himself up to find it more often

Supporters are too quick to judge 18/19 yr olds. Most come from colts/TAC & its a huge step up to play against men both mentally & physically. For every Judd - I could name 25 O'neill's.
I've said a few times here that Shuey took 4-5 years before he felt confident he was a midfielder.
Now be honest - how many of you thought Darren Glass was a gumby after his first 15-20 matches??

HoneyBadger35 Looks like lots have Waterman coming out of the team for match ups against the better team/s. Oh remember Rd 1 vs Brisbane. Well that means something as they are in the top 4 and are a big threat.

Waterman is ok in the team against lesser or mid range sides but not when we are trying to beat the fast moving teams.

Some are even saying Schofield because of the Tigers smalls and i tend to agree and plus Duggan is going to remove one of Schofield or Nelson, again come finals we are playing these faster teams i would be choosing Schofield out.

You are pathethic, so many are saying Waterman and Schofield out for this week coming for the same reason i say. Waterman makes the fwd line too tall. The Smalls make us so more damaging. And Masten well wheres he? He's just the worst midfielder. Slow, Soft and Uncontested.

P.S Waterman will not be in the 1st Final.
Cameron has his spot and then if not him Nic Naitanui.

Since that bloke Miguel didnt hold to his word about leaving BF then its only fair i get to have my input on the Changes thread. Like i said many are saying the same changes..

Last edited:

HoneyBadger35 Looks like lots have Waterman coming out of the team for match ups against the better team/s. Oh remember Rd 1 vs Brisbane. Well that means something as they are in the top 4 and are a big threat.

Waterman is ok in the team against lesser or mid range sides but not when we are trying to beat the fast moving teams.

Some are even saying Schofield because of the Tigers smalls and i tend to agree and plus Duggan is going to remove one of Schofield or Nelson, again come finals we are playing these faster teams i would be choosing Schofield out.

You are pathethic, so many are saying Waterman and Schofield out for this week coming for the same reason i say. Waterman makes the fwd line too tall. The Smalls make us so more damaging. And Masten well wheres he? He's just the worst midfielder. Slow, Soft and Uncontested.

P.S Waterman will not be in the 1st Final.
Cameron has his spot and then if not him Nic Naitanui.

Since that bloke Miguel didnt hold to his word about leaving BF then its only fair i get to have my input on the Changes thread. Like i said many are saying the same changes..

Mate, I am one of the people with Waterman out, as I have had for the last four weeks now. If you actually read this board youā€™d know that, but you donā€™t. You just log on, bash the same two players, lie about trade and injury news then log off.

Youā€™re allowed to think a kid isnā€™t best 22 for the reigning premiers without acting like heā€™s the worst player to ever play AFL and his mere presence is an insult to us as fans. Analysing football players isnā€™t a ā€œheā€™s eliteā€ or ā€œheā€™s garbageā€ proposal, thereā€™s actually some space in between that people can fit into.

I hope Waterman isnā€™t in our team come finals, as I have had him as an out for four weeks now, but if he is in there Iā€™m not going to throw a tantrum or dedicate my whole existence to slagging him off on BigFooty. Itā€™ll be fine. The world will keep spinning. Also, nobody mentioned Masten in this trade and draft rumours thread except you (surprise surprise).

Last edited:
Now be honest - how many of you thought Darren Glass was a gumby after his first 15-20 matches??

698324594f80fd5bc74771a2a39cbe4c.gif

Early on he was known as ā€˜no class Glassā€™ in the HB35 household. Creative stuff indeed.

Think comment re O'Neill is unwarranted. 1st yr player in another state learning running patterns & playing style.
Iā€™ve seen signs of Oā€™Neill to think he could develop into a wingman. He has a decent footy iq and working on his endurance and strength will be a major part to him making it.

Hopefully in November our recruitment team will draft us at least 1 top draw inside midfielder. Having watched Ainsworth not change his ball drop and struggle, MAllen try but look too slow and Brayshaw trundle along as an honest WAFL player, we donā€™t have many options from the Sheed pick many years back to Oā€™Neill that fill our midfield need.

Saw the inevitable throwing around of SPPā€™s name for trade earlier in the week...

Heā€™s always had a bit of a Freo feel about him to me...but I know heā€™s got his fans on here...

Has mongrel. Unless heā€™s jaded about being overlooked by WC then heā€™s still going to prefer the Eagles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worrell IMO is a huge talent moves incredibly well for his size.

Has already demonstrated impressive positional versatility.
He played half back , CHF and also on a wing at the Championships.
From memory he kicked 3 and 4 goals as a forward in the games against WA and then SA.
Twomey has him as a KPD but IMO that sells his skill set short.
I would classify him as a KPP who is capable of playing at either end.
Point to note about him is his speed and agility once the ball hits the ground.
Ticks most of the boxes that you would like to see ticked off for a Tall.
He was impressive in both the WA & SA games at the Championships.

I have a mid to late first round grade on him and I expect him to be the first tall to come off the board.

As far as WC are concerned he would be great to get but I think we have more pressing midfield needs.

We at this point in time have three decent picks inside the first two rounds.
I would like to think that we secure two good mids with theses picks and use a pick on best available.

Would we be brave enough to take Worrell with our first and hope we are able to pick up a couple of decent mids with ours and Sydneyā€™s second rounders .
History tells us that we didnā€™t hesitate to do so two years ago with Brander at pick # 11.

Would I be unhappy with selecting Worrell with our first ? ... NO I wouldnā€™t with the proviso that we were able to address our midfield needs latter .

In reality I think itā€™s a mute point because I see Worrell being taken several picks before our currently projected first rounder .

Just my two cents worth of pure speculation.

Thoughts on Narkle as a midfield / forward option?

If we haggle with the Cats on a sweetener if their trade demands get too high for our liking on Kelly?

The Cats made Narkle earn his return to the senior team, with the 21-year-old not playing an AFL game this season until Saturday night's demolition of North Melbourne. But Narkle showed why he should be well and truly in Geelong's finals plans, with a standout performance against the Roos. Narkle had 21 disposals and booted 2.2 in a strong performance, but most importantly he added some genuine spark and creativity

If we haggle with the Cats on a sweetener if their trade demands get too high for our liking on Kelly?

The Cats made Narkle earn his return to the senior team, with the 21-year-old not playing an AFL game this season until Saturday night's demolition of North Melbourne. But Narkle showed why he should be well and truly in Geelong's finals plans, with a standout performance against the Roos. Narkle had 21 disposals and booted 2.2 in a strong performance, but most importantly he added some genuine spark and creativity

I like him and wanted us to draft him at the time. Cats won't be giving him up though.

I like him and wanted us to draft him at the time. Cats won't be giving him up though.

Agree with both statements - but we should also make them realise that deals need to be fair to both parties.

If they want certain things added 'over and above' a fair price for TK (not saying they have requested or will, but they did last year) then we can also start adding extra pieces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And WAFL Eagles are a low possession side. I like his tackling and attacking instincts, just want to see him more consistently involved.

Obeanie1 I am not against the idea.

In his draft year I wasnā€™t that high on him because I thought his disposal was a bit ā€œiffyā€. He does some brilliant things but is prone to producing some changers as well.
If he was the missing piece to facilitate and equable trade, I could live with that.

That said I am sceptical that a trade for Kelly will go through thatā€™s fair for both parties . The talk of two first rounders is the max I would want us to pay.

Does Kelly make us a better team ?
Yes he does but I would be reluctant to sell the farm to get him.

The current picks that we hold place is in a good position to restock our mids.
IMO looking through this draft cohort and the grades I have on the players I am comfortable that we can add some good midfield prospects to our list, with the picks we hold.

Itā€™s been too long since we added a young up and coming midfielder to our list. The last was Sheed and he was taken in the 2013 draft and since then our draft intake looks bleak on promising young mids.
We have had a lot of swings and lots of misses.
The five years gap since we took Sheed concerns me.

Of those we have taken only Skinny X looks like he might make it, he looks a natural footballer with a good footy IQ.

Interesting times ahead for our recruiting and drafting team, in many regards they have excelled in talent identification on most areas , with the exception of midfielders.

That said things can change very quickly if we prioritise a specific position group.
Look how in the matter of three drafts we have addressed the lack of small crumbing fleet footed, goal kicking small forwards. Rioli, Flying, Petch and Cameron have been added and we now look well covered in that position.

Hopefully we are able to address quickly and successfully our up and coming midfield shortcomings in the next few drafts.

As long as we address the midfield in the next few drafts I am open to the who and donā€™t care how we get them ..... Oā€™Brien and team ......just do it.

Foley looks good as a medium sized defender. Reads play well, great intercept mark, good skills and gutsy.

Surprised how quickly he's taken to that role.

O'Neill doesn't look good atm. Is he outside or inside? Looks neither. What's his role? How can someone do so much running in the guts and find so little of the ball?

He should be played at HB imo.

Sounds a bit like Yeo before he became Yeo. Wait until we get angry O'neill

I actually think we're better off. Hickey has been sensational and IMO just as good or even better than whatever Lycett produced last year.

Shame for Lycett though.
We got pick 19 (before FA) for lycett and paid pick 36 for hickey + upgraded 4th .

The best part is through astute use of trading and the NGA drafting system that pick 36 would have been used on cameron who we picked up with later picks .

So effectively we traded lycett for hickey + 19 + salary cap relief + upgraded 2019 4th

Last edited:
So the Hickey is looking a steal. In addition to the saving in salary cap compared to Lycett, we effectively coughed up pick 73 (assuming Saints and us stay at same or similar positions). Saints fourth is pegged to us and is currently 70 and our fourth is pegged to Saints and is currently 70.

As Suma said, we probably would have needed to pay for Cameron with points so moving the benefit to this year was also a good one.

We got pick 19 (before FA) for lycett and paid pick 36 for hickey + upgraded 4th .

The best part is through astute use of trading and the NGA drafting system that pick 36 would have been used on cameron who we picked up with later picks .

So effectively we traded lycett for hickey + 19 + salary cap relief + upgraded 2019 4th

Wasnā€™t it lycett + late 2nd for hickey + 19 + salary cap relief + upgraded 2019 4th

Wasnā€™t it lycett + late 2nd for hickey + 19 + salary cap relief + upgraded 2019 4th
We would have lost the late 2nd we used on hickey to brisbanes bid on cameron which we got the points with in later picks .

It was use it or lose it .

Hickey + 4th upgrade + salary relief was effectively free!

So lycett leaving = pick 19

Having a replacement who is free , cheaper in salary and is in better form is a masterstroke

+ upgraded 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back