List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation

Yamumluvsbigcox

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2012
Trapped in a glass box of emotion
AFL Club
West Coast
You have just summed up Venners as well ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah venners is nothing like petch . Venables hard work defensively brings others into the game and his involvement creates opportunity for the team .
Petch is more of the one on the end of the good work . Doesnt run as hard defensively as he does when going towards goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fletcher25

All Australian
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah venners is nothing like petch . Venables hard work defensively brings others into the game and his involvement creates opportunity for the team .
Petch is more of the one on the end of the good work . Doesnt run as hard defensively as he does when going towards goals
Petch is awesome trade bait IMO. His value is seriously inflated at the moment. He looks good in a team of premium forwards and midfielders.

It's really hard to hit a target when you're running full-tilt, which is his only trick. He's superfluous to the team right now.

RanaNaved

Senior List
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Berry and vanila was def being thrown around a lot in these parts in 2016, dont shoot the messanger.

Thats the problem i have with phantom drafts in general. Some of these forum experts throw a buzz word or two and half the forum recyle opinions on players after watching nothing more then a few mins of highlights.

I love how people bring up that player they advocated for in some draft years ago. At least bring up all the dud players you wanted.over the last half decade also.. :p thats the thing about drafting, its not one pick in isolation.

Anyway whoever said happy to let brandner go in a trade for kelly if it meant keeping one of our first rnd picks, yuk. Classic case of overrating a draft pick. Hopefully the club has more sense then that.
That was me re Brander. Not so much overrating a first rounder, more not really rating Brander highly.

Reminds me of a hot version of Cale Morton

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
So we currently sit picks 16, 22, 35 and 60 (plus later picks)

2 possible deals to consider:

1. Tim Kelly expecting to be costing 2 first picks
2. Petruccelle being lured to Carlton or Doggies and getting a second rounder

Dealing with the Petruccelle, if he is to go then he is in contract and we can expect a decent trade. I would be keen on looking at Carlton with their Adelaide pick (currently 10) for Petruccelle and we give back pick 22 (Carlton have had enough early picks and I expect they might be open to it). Points wise this is equivalent to pick 34. Pick 34 alone is unders but given it means we get to pick 10, then the offset is ok.

Alternatively the Doggies have pick 27 which would be OK but not enough for an under contract rising star player in contract. I would want 27 and a swap of our pick 60 and Doggies pick 45 valuing Petruccelle at pick 21 (Doggies currently have picks 42, 44 and 45)

So I would like to see us use our 2020 first rounder and our our 2019 first round on Kelly. This would leave us with

a) In Kelly Out Petruccelle with picks 10, 35 and 60 if Pet goes to Carlton
or
b) In Kelly Out Petruccelle with picks 22, 27, 35 and 45 if Pet goes to Doggies

Under both scenarios we also lose 2020 first rounder

A variation would be in the Kelly trade to hand over pick 10 this year and the Sydney pick (22) leaving us with 16, 35 and 60 and 2020 in tact.

Attachments

Last edited:

dewcefault

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Dealing with the Petruccelle...
It's interesting if Petrol decides he wants to leave what they determine his value to be.
He was drafted at around pick 38, in a strong draft. Has only improved over the last 2 seasons and is currently getting a game for the premiers and will potentially play finals in a top 4 team. Contracted. Would get a game in most forward lines in the league. In fact, would be hard pressed to think of a team he wouldn't be best 22 (probably in the 18-25 range of players picked). His value has surely increased a fair bit.

It would be a shame to lose him but if he has an amazing offer it'd be hard to keep him. His improvement between last year and this year has been fantastic. His positioning has improved as have his defensive efforts, he's not far off bringing it all together. On the Backchat podcast Jetta mentioned he's been mentoring him and telling him to just back his pace, don't worry about getting caught. It's been showing in his game more. Once Jetta teaches him to kick, he'll be a star!

Wedgetailed Westerner

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Wedgetailed Westerner good post and Yes I think in the main out recruitment staff have done a very good job, after all they just delivered us a Premiership and maybe even a shot at back to back.
Some of my posts are a touch mischievous and deliberately provocative and I don’t ever shy away from the fact that I want our Club to be in a constant search for excellence.

That said I think most here would agree that our midfield depth is not flash and needs urgent attention.
Days like last Sunday just annoy the s**t out of me when I see the likes of the Crouch brothers and Sloan tear us apart at stoppages , hence my angst.

What our recruiting team now have at their disposal, that they did not have previously, is the ability to trade down in a draft and specifically target player X or Y to ensure we get our mark in the draft. This allows a flexibility to maximise draft picks and more specifically address list needs. Where as our previous success has precluded us from picks at the pointy end of the draft.
Monocle Very good points. I'm with you on the frustration part. I was watching the game and thinkign the same thing. However, The Crouch boys are extreme butchers and honestly I don't think their hurt factor is something we need to worry about.. if they played for us they would be our scape goats every week.
Sloan on the other hand, is a gun who should have been tagged. I reckon he would have been had he not been taken out of the game.
What let us down on the weekend was our crazy disposal inside 50 and our finishing for goal. Where we were able to get over 60 inside 50's and won the count by over 20, to me tells a different story. We should have won by 4-5 more goals, maybe even more.
I love what how recruiting team have done in the last 4-5 years since Simmo has been here. It puts us in a position of being able to have sustained request.
As much as it was great having Rawlings, I think it was more a team effort, with a lot of input from the coach.

Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if i believe these Petrucelle rumours. Haven't seen a possible trade involving him, or even that other clubs are courting him, mentioned anywhere other than here. But if is going then what would we want in return? Given he is under contract and will only improve from here i wouldn't entertain anything short of a top 20 pick in return.

Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the Kelly trade will be a massive ball ache for us. Expect Geelong to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the trade table. I certainly didn't think they were a chance for the flag this year and given the declining output of their stars and how weak the bottom end of their list is, i think if Kelly goes so does any hope of a flag for them.

I am expecting them to try and create a bidding war between us and Freo. And if that doesn't work, either because Kelly says No or Freo want to keep their draft picks this year, i expect a re - run of last years tactics where they ask for things we can't possible give them like the number 1 pick this year or McGovern in return or something ridiculous like that. The point will be to drag the negotiations out untill the last day and have them collapse and then have time run out. Then they say to Kelly "Gee, sorry Tim, we really tried hard but it is West Coasts fault because they couldn't come up with a suitable trade and obviously didn't really want you. But i tell you what, here is a one year contract for next year. Why don't you just resign and play next year with us and then we will try again for you next year". And the Vic media will be in full chorus blaming us aswell.

The way around that is for Kelly and his management to make pre - emptive complaints and threats of litigation to the AFL before trade week even begins to make sure they put the same pressure on Geelong that they put on other clubs to make sure out of contract players get to where they want to go. It will make him look like a d*** and he will burn bridges in Geelong. But i think unless Kelly and his management get pushy and aggressive with Geelong and make sure that the AFL is breathing down their neck to get the deal done then we will have a lot of problems getting this done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RanaNaved

Senior List
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Monocle Very good points. I'm with you on the frustration part. I was watching the game and thinkign the same thing. However, The Crouch boys are extreme butchers and honestly I don't think their hurt factor is something we need to worry about.. if they played for us they would be our scape goats every week.
Sloan on the other hand, is a gun who should have been tagged. I reckon he would have been had he not been taken out of the game.
What let us down on the weekend was our crazy disposal inside 50 and our finishing for goal. Where we were able to get over 60 inside 50's and won the count by over 20, to me tells a different story. We should have won by 4-5 more goals, maybe even more.
I love what how recruiting team have done in the last 4-5 years since Simmo has been here. It puts us in a position of being able to have sustained request.
As much as it was great having Rawlings, I think it was more a team effort, with a lot of input from the coach.
Re Crouch brothers, I agree.
If stats weren't kept and people just watched the game, they'd see a lot of those so called contested beasts aren't that threatening. Some people see someone with 20 contested possessions and 10 clearances next to their name and lose their minds.

Jiggyman

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Petch is awesome trade bait IMO. His value is seriously inflated at the moment. He looks good in a team of premium forwards and midfielders.

It's really hard to hit a target when you're running full-tilt, which is his only trick. He's superfluous to the team right now.
I daresay the more games he gets, the more he'll adapt. He was recruited as a raw talent who could drift in and out of games; not surprising to see his second season of AFL reflect that.

I do think he's improving at getting to more contests and stoppages, especially late in games. He does try and win the footy, but lacks the strength to burst free. Needs to develop more composure, which may be helped by his physical maturation.

He's definitely worth holding onto, unless a beneficial trade opportunity comes up. Cripps was somewhat similar (albeit more pressure-oriented), and is probably an excellent role model for his development trajectory.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
Anyone know of any OOC WA players not named Tim Kelly?
Ignoring the players taken in the mid season draft, WA players playing interstate and out of contract are:

Nick Robertson
David Myers
Matt Guielfi
Jack Martin
Stephen Coniglio
Tim Kelly
Jeff Garlett
Kyron Hayden
Billy Frampton
Sahi Bolton
Darcy Cameron

Yamumluvsbigcox

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2012
Trapped in a glass box of emotion
AFL Club
West Coast
Ignoring the players taken in the mid season draft, WA players playing interstate and out of contract are:

Nick Robertson
David Myers
Matt Guielfi
Jack Martin
Stephen Coniglio
Tim Kelly
Jeff Garlett
Kyron Hayden
Billy Frampton
Sahi Bolton
Darcy Cameron
Blake acres ?

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Good chance but his pick could be what helps us et Kelly over the line.

in 2-3 years time we are probably bottoming out as well and he's not the sort of player that would do well at an average side. He's a one trick pony in my mind. He has only speed as his only asset.

Top Bottom