List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ridiculous. There's not a single piece of new, real information in that whole screed. It's nothing but "what ifs" and guesswork.

Yeah it’s rubbish just like basically every other article discussing player movement.

Also, there’s a common thread throughout the Kelly discussion that Fremantle can offer more in a trade to Geelong which is true, however, that ignores the question of whether Fremantle are prepared to offer more. Peter Bell proved to be pretty hard headed in negotiations last year in the Neale and Hogan trades so it remains to be seen what of their trade collateral they’re prepared to put on the table

Do we have the option of trading Gaff if he wants to go and therefore get something back for him?

Or is his contract structured such that he can choose to leave as a FA at the end of any season he chooses and we get nothing back, but if he wants to stay he has the right to trigger an extension of his deal?

From what I understood of the Jake Niall article that revealed Gaff’s contract situation - he will become a free agent at the end of 2020 unless by some unspecified date he exercises an option that extends his time at West Coast for a further 4 years ( to 2024)

If he asks to be traded this year he will be treated as a contracted player

Freo really f***ed up with that Hogan trade when you consider all the circumstances and variables.

Firstly, he was going to be out of contract in 12 months time anyway and was clearly planning on asking for a trade home at that point. His trade value would have declined 30 - 40% just based on that if they had waited for 12 months. And it's not like they were in flag contention and desperately needed him this season. And it's not like there was any competition from us or any other club for him and therefore if they waited 12 months somebody else might swoop in.

Secondly, he has chronic health issues. His foot problems and his mental health problems. Foot problems are very serious. They are unprdictable and can prematurely end careers. Just ask Eric McKenzie. Waiting 12 months would have given them more of a chance to see how he recovered from the foot issue. As it turns out the issue has continued to linger through this season.

Thirdly, Melbourne were desperate to sell him. In the trading market you need to be very, very carefull buying a player the other club is desperate to sell. They know far more about the player than you do in terms of the durability of his body and his metal ability to get the best out of himself. If he is best 22 for them and they are desperate to sell then you have to ask Why? Most trades where it is the seller driving the trade work out badly for the buyer in the long run. I would have been very nervous just based on Melbourne's desperation to sell.

So, given how badly they have done in the trading market lately i think the Freo footy department should give themselves a time out for the next couple of years on buying more players.

Yeah it’s rubbish just like basically every other article discussing player movement.

Also, there’s a common thread throughout the Kelly discussion that Fremantle can offer more in a trade to Geelong which is true, however, that ignores the question of whether Fremantle are prepared to offer more. Peter Bell proved to be pretty hard headed in negotiations last year in the Neale and Hogan trades so it remains to be seen what of their trade collateral they’re prepared to put on the table

From what I understood of the Jake Niall article that revealed Gaff’s contract situation - he will become a free agent at the end of 2020 unless by some unspecified date he exercises an option that extends his time at West Coast for a further 4 years ( to 2024)

If he asks to be traded this year he will be treated as a contracted player

That is my interpretation based on what has been reported as well.

So its a trade scenario this year or in 2020 he has the option of leaving as an ufa and we het a single pick. Which after getting two more seasons out of him is a hell of a lot more palatable than last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is my interpretation based on what has been reported as well.

So its a trade scenario this year or in 2020 he has the option of leaving as an ufa and we het a single pick. Which after getting two more seasons out of him is a hell of a lot more palatable than last season.
Pretty sure they release the following years free agent list around finals time?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the club got him to stay by offering him some kind of weird deal where his contract technically ends at the end of every season unless he chooses to trigger an extension at the end of each season. So imagine as if it is a one year deal with extension clauses open to the player every year for the next 4 consecutive seasons after that. Geelong offered a similar contract to Kelly but he knocked it back.
Hopefully that trigger clause means he is not going to be a free agent .

Levi casbolt was ment to be a free agent this year but a trigger clause means he isnt now .

Last edited:
Kelly wanted WCE because we were the only club that kept in touch from 2015 through to when he was drafted that's the reason Kelly is/was keen on West Coast plus he supported us .
For the life of God not sure why we waited so bloody long we could have just rookied Kelly !!!!

Don’t say that to Geelong fans, they act as though they picked him up out of the dumpster. And only them would have done that.

We and every other club have picked up a 100 players in rookie draft who had same talent as Kelly but obviously didn’t have the drive etc. for Kelly it clicked one day. Just like for willie Rioli, it clicked one day.

To expect for an external person to know what goes inside a players head is bloody hard. Recruiters are not psychologists.

I really feel like after Simpson arrived at the club, a few average kickers of the pill turned into relatively reliable ball users, Matt Priddis was the one that stood out to me.

If we could improve SPP to the point where he can become reliable, I'd be more than happy to see him running around in the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back