List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players already requesting trades? Silly season is about to begin it seems

Brad Hill is so keen, he sent a message via the runner to the coaches to be delivered just after the final siren.

Last edited:

Until Williams gains the right body mass, I go back to my answer that it is too soon to tell. He’s only just turned19 and he is doing a reasonable job tucking against men. Griffin and Goddard are pretty good yardsticks so if pushed I’d say yes but not with the confidence I would have if asked can Trent Rivers be an inside mid.
kinopoisk.ru-The-Crying-Game-1818478.jpg

So kelly has made the AA squad but i have seen a few 22s that dont have him making the team . After a blistering opening 10 rounds he has really fallen away . He could be on 15 browlow votes by the halfway mark then struggle to get 20 .

This whole 2 first rounders for him must come down . He is not worth that . Especially if our first this year is 12- 14

Glassy the new list manager:

Hoping this is the source of the Coniglio rumours.

Coniglio is meeting with Glass therefore they say he is definitely going to Hawthorn..... sneakily Glass is changing clubs and Coniglio is coming home.

Glassy the new list manager:

I wonder how much insight into the list committee he had when at the Hawks. Anyway, a good clubman and I hope he has seen enough exit interviews at Hawthorn. Under Vozzo he will get guidance on negotiations and salary management. He will return with reasonable respect as a former captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50:50 but not fussed

Honestly I am a little. We do need some more quality in the middle.

I feel we are just one gun mid away from having a true top tier midfield that does not always have to start with a "just break even" mentality but one where opposition teams worry about how they will stop us.

Honestly I am a little. We do need some more quality in the middle.

I feel we are just one gun mid away from having a true top tier midfield that does not always have to start with a "just break even" mentality but one where opposition teams worry about how they will stop us.
Yeah natanui shuey yeo and kelly is a killer starting combo .

Gaff and sheed on the wings

Redden that defensive mid at stoppages

Yeah natanui shuey yeo and kelly is a killer starting combo .

Gaff and sheed on the wings

Redden that defensive mid at stoppages

That is the dream.

Maybe Kelly will cost a premium but that starting midfield with Rioli, Cripps, Ryan, Darling and Kennedy up forward and Mcgovern, Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard and Jetta down back would be amazing.

I don't really see any other true A grade mids that we could realistically get.

How confident is everyone RE Mr Kelly?

75% chance Kelly ends up with us. 95% sure he is leaving the Geelong. Even Vic media articles have stopped denying that he is going, which they were doing at mid season.

Two potetial stumbling blocks. Freo may offer him so much more money than we can that he just can't say No to them. But i think that that is unlikely. I think they will have a sniff around Kelly, but as a rebuilding club with a new coach who will have a 3 year honeymoon period where he won't be judged on wins and lossses, they won't want to pay through the nose for a 25 year old.

Second stumbling block will be Geelong trying to stall and stonewall untill time runs out in trade week. I think they might try that and then bet they can lay the blame at our feet in the aftermath for the deal not getting done. Eagles need to be pro - active and ask AFL to mediate the trade before trade week even begins. And clubs asking the AFL to mediate is a polite way of saying that the club trading for the player asks the AFL to spell out the reality and the rules to the club holding the player that they have to make sure the out of contract player gets to where he wants to go to and they must accept any reasonable offer, regardless of it whether they think they could get a better off from a different club or whether they are happy with the end price. I think Geelong will get really feral about Kelly leaving.

Some really dumb media commentary coming out now regarding trades. There is one on Foxsports where David King is suggesting the Crows trade Walker, Crouch and Greenwood to Gold Coast for pick 2. Players are not chips on a poker table. This is not the NFL and that is not how our system works. You can't trade a player to a club that they don't want to go to. And i seriously doubt that any of those 3 players want to go to Gold Coast.

And if you start treating players like poker chips and trying to wheel and deal them around without their permission you will probably end up with a disgruntled and disillusioned players whom you tried to trade away but couldn't because they said No stuck on your list and massive morale issues with the rest of your list who have seen what hapenned and now have no trust in the club and no reason not to be as mercenary with the club as possible when their contracts are up.

And why is there this perception that Gold Coast are so eager to trade away their early draft picks for old and underperforming players or second tier players at other clubs? I doubt that they are that stupid. It is like people think Gold Coast is some kind of trash for cash outfit where you can dump your unwanted or over rated players in exchange for draft picks.

For anybody who thinks that the Kelly trade hinges on whether Geelong is happy with the outcome or us satisfying Geelong or paying Geelong whatever they want, it isn't. The unwritten rules for clubs that is enforced by the AFL is that you don't make a play for a player at another club that you are not prepared to make a reasonable offer for, and if you have an out of contract player who wants to leave you must accept any reasonable offer from that players nominated club. If you doubt this then see if you can think of an example of an out of contract player who didn't end up at the club he wanted to go to from the last 10 years. It doesn't happen because the AFL enforces the rules that keep the system functioning on the clubs. Our first rounder this year and maybe some kind of pick upgrade on another pick for Geelong is a perfectly reasonable offer for Kelly by recent trading standards.

There is one on Foxsports where David King is suggesting the Crows trade Walker, Crouch and Greenwood to Gold Coast for pick 2.

And why is there this perception that Gold Coast are so eager to trade away their early draft picks for old and underperforming players or second tier players at other clubs? I doubt that they are that stupid. It is like people think Gold Coast is some kind of trash for cash outfit where you can dump your unwanted or over rated players in exchange for draft picks.

Paragraph 1 - Gold Coast is the superannuation fund for 'almost made it players'

Edited paragraph 2 - Lachie Weller says hello. Pick 2 FFS.

As an aside Suns and Giants are the reserves team for Melbourne Clubs to pick the eyes out of. The two clubs are on the back foot every year - the only saving grace for the Giants is their list management and club staffing were initially stronger than Suns.

I see 'mission fail' written in the sand for both clubs.

For anybody who thinks that the Kelly trade hinges on whether Geelong is happy with the outcome or us satisfying Geelong or paying Geelong whatever they want, it isn't. The unwritten rules for clubs that is enforced by the AFL is that you don't make a play for a player at another club that you are not prepared to make a reasonable offer for, and if you have an out of contract player who wants to leave you must accept any reasonable offer from that players nominated club. If you doubt this then see if you can think of an example of an out of contract player who didn't end up at the club he wanted to go to from the last 10 years. It doesn't happen because the AFL enforces the rules that keep the system functioning on the clubs. Our first rounder this year and maybe some kind of pick upgrade on another pick for Geelong is a perfectly reasonable offer for Kelly by recent trading standards.
This is the VFL. Those reasonable trades only happen when the player is heading home to Melbourne (usually shafting an expansion side). Don’t think we’ll get any favours re Kelly, will be 2 firsts at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back