List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
So, realistically what will we have to give up to bring kelly back.

Every couple of weeks i keep changing my mind, nah dont need him, will cost too much. nek minnit, we need him sell the farm.

Now im back in the we need him camp

1 top 5 pick + good player
2 first round picks + good player

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
No one claps West Coast on the back for trading away Andrew McDougall, or Essendon for the returns they got on Jake Carlisle/Andrew Lovett. And I could probably spend the whole afternoon looking for similar trades that worked out great for the team selling but the point is they are barely talked about in comparison to the occasions where a team sold a gun (Tom Mitchell, Josh P Kennedy).

St Kilda seem to fail on all high profile trade acquisitions - add hannebery to that list.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
So, realistically what will we have to give up to bring kelly back.

Every couple of weeks i keep changing my mind, nah dont need him, will cost too much. nek minnit, we need him sell the farm.

Now im back in the we need him camp

Hasn't signed so you would reckon we're a big chance but I don't care either way ...it's going to get messy you would think , I'm influenced by his WAFL years so I say #16 + Sydney's 2nd #26 and maybe a player Cole or Nelson .

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

We don't have a top 5 pick, so any trade involving one is meaningless unless you include what it costs to get one.

Last year Freo traded pick 6 plus a future 3rd for 11, 23, 30, 49. Port upgraded 6 with 35 and a future 3rd to 5 and Mayes.
Brisbane traded 6, 19, 55 for Lachie Neale and 30.
Melbourne traded Hogan and 55 for 6 and 23 then 6 for May and Kolo Toure.

That's the ballpark of trades involving picks that early. Minimum we would have to give up our 1st and 2nd and Sydney's 2nd to get a team to the table, more than likely given our first pick will probably be 15-20 they'll want our 2020 1st as well. So that's two first round picks and change to get a pick around 5 or 6, and then you want to throw in a good player? How good? Cripps? Rioli? Yeo? Big no from me.

In all seriousness, 5 years is going to be plenty of attempted chest marks 🙌

I like how Darling can go from absolute superstar/warrior to diving theatrically all in the same piece of play

At the very least i find him very entertaining to watch. Always gives me a chuckle when he plays, either manhandling someone or getting manhandled himself.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we are saying the same. Basically Brander looks good, but probably not as a stay at home FF
Actually I think he will be a permanent forward but with a few more strings to his bow.
Kennedy is know for his forays down the ground to impact the contest and send the ball forward. These skills need to be learnt. I suggest that the development team is working on this.
Whatever the outcome, Brander will be a well rounded player when his time comes.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The fact that Allen has shown so much already is a bonus. Both are only 20 this year which is training wheels for a key forward. Kennedy the year he turned 20 played 13 games and kicked 6 goals. Darling was a manchild and kicked 53 but has roughly maintained a similar level since with the exception of 2018. Jack Riewoldt, Tom Hawkins, Taylor Walker, Jack Gunston, Tom Lynch were all nothing special at that age. Ben Brown wasn't even in the AFL. Roughead was pretty good and Franklin/Cameron excellent but these guys are the exceptions. Even Hawkins who was a super man child took a few years to really make an impact.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The fact that Allen has shown so much already is a bonus. Both are only 20 this year which is training wheels for a key forward. Kennedy the year he turned 20 played 13 games and kicked 6 goals. Darling was a manchild and kicked 53 but has roughly maintained a similar level since with the exception of 2018. Jack Riewoldt, Tom Hawkins, Taylor Walker, Jack Gunston, Tom Lynch were all nothing special at that age. Ben Brown wasn't even in the AFL. Roughead was pretty good and Franklin/Cameron excellent but these guys are the exceptions. Even Hawkins who was a super man child took a few years to really make an impact.

Indeed always people always saying we need to drop Allen if he has a quiet game. He is a young KPP in his first few games of course he is going to be inconsistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
There is a great thread in the main board on Trade and Drafting asking people to state why their club deserves a priority pick.

Gotto like Freoforever86 - simple and factual

And Freomaniac shows how badly the Purples have done with their first round picks

So I thought it worth lining them up - Battle of the WA Clubs in the 1st Round Drafts

:westcoast: v :freo:

2007 - Masten v Palmer - advantage :westcoast:
2008 NicNat v S Hill - advantage :westcoast:
2009 Sheppard v Morabito - advantage :westcoast:
2010 - Gaff v Pitt - advantage :westcoast:
2011 Newman v Sheridan - advantage :freo:
2012 - Wellingham (trade) v Simpson - advantage :westcoast:
2013 - Sheed v Apeness - advantage :westcoast:
2014 - Duggan v Weller - advantage :westcoast:(might call it a draw since Weller became pick 2 but that said, I'm not. Reflects hopeless Suns)
2015 - Redden (trade) v Bennell (trade) - advantage :westcoast:
2016 - Venables v Logue - I will call it a tie even though our lad has a Premiership Medal:westcoast::freo:
2017 - Brander & Allen v Brayshaw & Cerra - I am still OK with Brander so I'd call it advantage Eagles:westcoast:

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Indeed always people always saying we need to drop Allen if he has a quiet game. He is a young KPP in his first few games of course he is going to be inconsistant.

The main reason for Allen going out of the side isn't Allen, it's good old team balance. We do look better as a team with JK/Darling and an assortment of smalls with a ruckman as a third marking option.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes.Spot on.
Add David Neitz ,Taylor Walker, Jonathan Brown, and Wayne Carey to that list. All took time to become household names.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm fairly sure with a crystal ball we would go back and pick Kelly prior to the 2017 draft. But then we'd take Judd at 3, Bartel at 6, Steve Johnson at 24, Dane Swan at 38 in 2001 and will ALL OF THE PREMIERSHIPS...
Agreed.
Not sure about Dane swan though.Probably leave him to the Dockers as he would suit their culture better.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The main reason for Allen going out of the side isn't Allen, it's good old team balance. We do look better as a team with JK/Darling and an assortment of smalls with a ruckman as a third marking option.

Allen spends time too close to goals when not in the ruck. He needs to be further up the ground being an option between the arcs.

Not only that it’s also good to rotate that spot given we have four pretty decent young key forwards and all could do with a bit of afl.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Allen spends time too close to goals when not in the ruck. He needs to be further up the ground being an option between the arcs.

Not only that it’s also good to rotate that spot given we have four pretty decent young key forwards and all could do with a bit of afl.
I’m pretty sure that that’s how it happens.
Oscar drops back within the arc when either Kennedy of Darling rest.
Kennedy has been averaging 65 min game time this year.
Oscar plays higher when both JK and JD are on the field.

2015 - Redden (trade) v Bennell (trade) - advantage :westcoast:

In hidsight this is like the Stenglein Vs Headland trade again. We went for the workhorse as opposed to the flashy one and we got more than repaid with the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back