List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why people think Kelly's intentions have changed since last season. Sure, Freo could offer more money, but that is literally it. We cover them in everything else that matters, and I'm sure we could make up the difference in salary later down the track.

I think we'd have done that deal. That's why I assume they wanted more.

At the time, at least to a lot of people on here, it seemed unreasonable. Admittedly, that would've compromised two drafts for us.

Geelong probably did want more, though. We just don't know since nothing else was reported.

On a related topic, lets say we snare both Cogs and TK.
Cogs $1m we have space for, all good. But we need to find $600k for TK.

Who do we move on to make that salary space?

Maybe we already have. JK, Hurn and Nic have recently extended likely for less.

Masten retires.

Jetta signs for one more season with a post retirement role agreed like Sam Mitchell.

Could do the same with Schofield.

Read yesterday that Port have asked several players with big contracts to move their salaries to next year as they simply don't have the cash. They can't afford to pay the full cap.

That is a major concern.

We need mids so does SPP come into play or are we past that now?
If he's unsettled, I'd have thought we should inquire. We're not beyond adding AFL-ready, 22-year-old midfielders.

Just read another article from a Melbourne based journo begging for Kelly to go to Freo. There are two premises in his article - Firstly, that Kelly is more likely to go to Freo because they have more trading capital in the way of draft picks to offer Geelong. The second is that Kelly is worth more now he was 12 months ago because of his uptick in form.

Which club has better draft picks is totally irrelevent. It's not Geelong's choice. Kelly will decide where he wants to go and Geelong will be obliged to accept any reasonable offer from that club. Thats how it works when you are trading uncontracted players. What Geelong wants is irrelevent. The player picks the club he wants to go to. We don't have to outbid Freo in terms of what we give Geelong. We just have to get Kelly to nominate us.

And if Kelly's value has changed at all in the last 12 months it is to the downside due to him now being uncontracted, despite the uptick in his form. Geelong have gone being a price maker to a price taker in 12 months due to Kelly now being uncontracted.

If we win the flag this year maybe we coule trade Gaff back to Victoria for a top 10 pick and use the freed up cap space to go for Coniglio. That would be a Win, Win, Win for us. Coniglio is a better player than Gaff. The idea of giving up Gaff for Coniglio and a top 10 is very appealing. Imagine the howls coming from Melbourne if we got Kelly and Coniglio.

If we win the flag this year maybe we coule trade Gaff back to Victoria for a top 10 pick and use the freed up cap space to go for Coniglio. That would be a Win, Win, Win for us. Coniglio is a better player than Gaff. The idea of giving up Gaff for Coniglio and a top 10 is very appealing. Imagine the howls coming from Melbourne if we got Kelly and Coniglio.

Don't be surprised if Gaff moves with or without another flag. He almost went last season and the structure of his new deal implies a move may still occur either this season or next.

I would not at all be surprised if that arrangement has been agreed for some time and it will be how we land Cogs and or Kelly.

Bond 007 seemed a tad over confident in a recent post that we were gaining a decent mid. Unless Kelly is in the bag already.

Just read another article from a Melbourne based journo begging for Kelly to go to Freo. There are two premises in his article - Firstly, that Kelly is more likely to go to Freo because they have more trading capital in the way of draft picks to offer Geelong. The second is that Kelly is worth more now he was 12 months ago because of his uptick in form.

Which club has better draft picks is totally irrelevent. It's not Geelong's choice. Kelly will decide where he wants to go and Geelong will be obliged to accept any reasonable offer from that club. Thats how it works when you are trading uncontracted players. What Geelong wants is irrelevent. The player picks the club he wants to go to. We don't have to outbid Freo in terms of what we give Geelong. We just have to get Kelly to nominate us.

And if Kelly's value has changed at all in the last 12 months it is to the downside due to him now being uncontracted, despite the uptick in his form. Geelong have gone being a price maker to a price taker in 12 months due to Kelly now being uncontracted.
So ridiculous. There's not a single piece of new, real information in that whole screed. It's nothing but "what ifs" and guesswork.

'a top 10 pick'.. probably more like top 3, or a 5-10 and another 1st rounder (probably unders).

Gaff for Kelly would be horrific unders based on their CV's.

hoping Gaff stays for the long term personally, he is a-grade quality with amazing consistency.

Don't be surprised if Gaff moves with or without another flag. He almost went last season and the structure of his new deal implies a move may still occur either this season or next.

I would not at all be surprised if that arrangement has been agreed for some time and it will be how we land Cogs and or Kelly.

Bond 007 seemed a tad over confident in a recent post that we were gaining a decent mid. Unless Kelly is in the bag already.

Do we have the option of trading Gaff if he wants to go and therefore get something back for him?

Or is his contract structured such that he can choose to leave as a FA at the end of any season he chooses and we get nothing back, but if he wants to stay he has the right to trigger an extension of his deal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not taking a haircut of 400k per year.

Rubbish! How do you know? Can you please provide some evidence that Cogs won't take a $400k haircut?
From the outside looking in I agree that the cost of his hair maintenance appears to be quite high... but do we know that noone in his extended family in Perth isn't a hairdresser? Maybe he has an aunt in Perth who can cut it the way he likes it for free, saving him his $400k per year in haircuts

Sometimes I wonder how we can have a proper discussion without all the facts!

Do we have the option of trading Gaff if he wants to go and therefore get something back for him?

Or is his contract structured such that he can choose to leave as a FA at the end of any season he chooses and we get nothing back, but if he wants to stay he has the right to trigger an extension of his deal?

If Gaff is contracted he's by definition not a Free Agent.

Rubbish! How do you know? Can you please provide some evidence that Cogs won't take a $400k haircut?
From the outside looking in I agree that the cost of his hair maintenance appears to be quite high... but do we know that noone in his extended family in Perth isn't a hairdresser? Maybe he has an aunt in Perth who can cut it the way he likes it for free, saving him his $400k per year in haircuts

Sometimes I wonder how we can have a proper discussion without all the facts!
Good luck with your teenage trolling.

If Gaff is contracted he's by definition not a Free Agent.

I think the club got him to stay by offering him some kind of weird deal where his contract technically ends at the end of every season unless he chooses to trigger an extension at the end of each season. So imagine as if it is a one year deal with extension clauses open to the player every year for the next 4 consecutive seasons after that. Geelong offered a similar contract to Kelly but he knocked it back.

If we are to believe press reports we have barely fired a shot in the chase for Coniglio. There must be a reason for that. Maybe his manager made it clear to all the clubs asking that money is his priority and he will go wherever offers him the best contract and we know that that won't be us.

Kelly wanted WCE because we were the only club that kept in touch from 2015 through to when he was drafted that's the reason Kelly is/was keen on West Coast plus he supported us .
For the life of God not sure why we waited so bloody long we could have just rookied Kelly !!!!
There's no guarantee those reasons still apply. I mean, "keeping in touch" doesn't sound like something that's make or break.

Presumably Freo can afford to offer more, and Kelly will then decide whether he goes to the better club or takes 15% extra (or whatever it is) to go to Freo. I don't see how it develops much beyond that basic equation until Geelong's season ends.

Don't think we'll acquire either Kelly or Coniglio.

BOND may be referring to Acres although it's just a guess and I don't recall the post BOND made that was alluded to a few posts above

Don't think we'll acquire either Kelly or Coniglio.

BOND may be referring to Acres although it's just a guess and I don't recall the post BOND made that was alluded to a few posts above

I think we will get Kelly. I think given he has not re - signed with Geelong by now means he is a 90% chance of leaving. And given the destination is either us or Freo i just can not imagine any player putting their hand up to go to Freo at the moment. They have no chance at a flag in the next 5 years, don't have a coach or a CEO to sell the club to a prospective player, have a toxic culture that has prompted several players to put their hand up to leave etc. If they are going to get Kelly to pick them it could only be with money and i think it would have to be a lot more money. Not just an extra 10% (which becomes 5% after tax anyway and manager commissions). It's not clear that Freo really want him that badly anyway. Given their situation, they might prefer to take their first rounder to the draft and get a 10 year player and save the cash to have a crack at available FA's over the next 3 years, when they have a coach to sell the club to the player and in which case they don't have to trade draft picks for the player. If i was Freo i would pass on Kelly and focus on a complete rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back